The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Some of the mud people were flinging at him was truly incredible

Tocchet got a talentless arizona team to FAR outplay its skill. I dont understand the parallels people were drawing between him and Torts. Im pretty sure Bruce has more F bombs on tape than Tocchet does. 

Tocchet was a very rare type of player, who had a ton of skill but also put his body on the line. Everything he asks from his players, he did. And that's extremely powerful. 

I'm very optimistic, especially seeing the types of assistants he selected to create structure. I think players will respond well over time.  

It's very telling that he brought in Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar, two borderline hall of fame defencemen, to be his assistant coaches.  He knows he has to fix the D.  The fact that one of those guys is Russian is also telling.  I knew they would re-sign Kuzmenko as soon as I saw Gonchar on the ice at Rogers Arena.  And the organization thinks very highly of Podkolzin and Klimovich (Belarusian but speaks Russian).  Who knows, they may go after another Russian player or two now.  Too bad Artem Zub re-signed in Ottawa.  I'm sure he would have considered Vancouver if he went to UFA.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JamesB said:

A lot to digest tonight, Here are some late thoughts.

1. The game itself. The Canucks played well and were obviously the better team. But that is not saying much as Columbus is the worst team in the league.  While I want the Canucks to lose enough to improve their draft position if possible, I don't really want to see them playing badly against a team as weak as Columbus. If the team were that bad, it would be really be negative news.

2. Goalies. Delia played well. While there has not been a lot commentary on it, I think Delia has moved ahead of Martin on the depth chart. During the rest of the season both guys will be trying to show they deserve to be the backup next year. It would not be a surprise to see someone else get that job next year. Maybe even Silovs, who is making progress in Abby. Keeping Demko out longer obviously helps the tank and obviously everyone wants to minimize the chance of re-injury.  No need to rush him back. 

3. Mikheyev. Not convinced there was any managerial or medical error, especially after seeing Millstein's comments. It is not unusual for guys to play with injuries and put off surgery. That is what Demko did last year (although that did not seem to work out too well). The good news is that Mikheyev was a good player even when less than 100%. It is reasonable to expect him to be significantly better next year.

4. Allvin interview.  Allvin was better than I have seen him before. Still not great, but he gave a few straight answers.

5. Bo Horvat.   Will be sorry to see Bo go but it is good to see him boosting his trade value. He has done really well in his interviews. It is interesting to see him talk as if he was going be here next year (looking forward to Mikheyev coming back next year, etc.) I think that is the best thing he can do. Until he is finally traded he will continue to act as if he is "all in" on the Canucks. Most guys would be getting disaffected by now.  

6. Tochett. My opinion is rising. His end of game talk to the players was good and his entire manner and personality are a lot better than I expected.  With only one practice behind him it is too early to say if his coaching will actually help the team, but I think there is hope.  

7. Boeser played pretty well and,with 2 assists, is improving his trade value. I like Boeser as a person, but the Canucks need to move on from him and free up some cap space. It might actually be possible to work something out.

1. I kinda agree. But I still wanna see us lose games down the stretch and make progress while losing.

2. I’m not convinced Delia has moved ahead of Martin at all.

Delia should have had a shutout vs the blackhawks. The two goals that went through him were very soft.

Martin vs Seattle was absolutely ridiculous. Could have been 10-0 game. 

3. Agree completely on Mik

4. Alvin has had a lot of FaceTime with Kuzmenko, and did multiple interviews today where he was more engaging then ever. The post game presser wasn’t his first interview with the media today and considering that I thought he was great. Comparative to other interviews he’s had.

5. agree completely. Markets not only emotionally connected to him but he’s connected to the sedins. He was chosen to be our captain and Hank passed it down. And he’s truly had their spirit somewhat in him you know. We have to nail the trade if he’s going, or it will be just heartbreaking to most of us.

6. I’m in on the toch and co koolaid. I like him.

7. I thought he sucked. And I’m a huge fan of him. It’s been tough. I can’t believe he’s such a low value asset at this point it’s wild to me. And sad. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I love this. Fan after fan ripping the team and medical staff. The player and agent come out with this type of response. But will fans listen or keep ridiculing the medical staff.

Public perception is one thing, but the agents know a lot more on the inside.   Their perception matters more in getting players to sign with a certain team. As long the perception by the agents are still good, Canucks won't have a huge issue with medical support as the issue that prevents a player from signing.  

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly.  This is why we cannot rebuild now. If we do either Petey will leave or we will waste most of his prime years rebuilding. The only way it would be possible to do a total rebuild would be to trade Petey.  And I am not sure what that accomplishes. I mean if Edmonton trades McDavid would they be any further ahead, and how long before they are competing again?  A decade or so?

Comparing Petey with McDavid and the impact of trading them doesn't consider the team timelines IMHO. It also suggests comparable talent levels which overstates the Canucks to some extent. Canucks are rebuilding now. Highly likely Bo, Boeser, Garland and Meyers will be moved. Schenn also. If that isn't a rebuild what is? If these trades are made then Petey will have to assess what comes back just like the management will. If Petey doesn't see a future as team captain and a path towards contention then yes he has to be traded. 

Bottom line that with the upcoming trades the Canucks will be 2-3 years away from serious contention in a best case scenario. If scouting blows it the returns from such trades don't pan out. There are no guarantees. My hope is that the breadth of talent is much wider and deeper. That Petey will be the captain of this younger and more talented group. It will be his team along with Hughes. But no, if either one of them is not on board then yes they have to be traded. 

• Upvote 1