The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bally Sports Bankruptcy Can Affect the Salary Cap

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think you are onto something here, but I think there's a lot of bias on the idea that teams have to be able to generate their own revenue. The shortsightedness of management (including ownership) has led to low interest in hockey. For some owners, owning a team is nothing more than another revenue stream. They don't necessarily "care" about the team, and that's a problem.

Hockey is an amazing sport and it should be made available to as many people as possible. Management and ownership has to run these teams properly. Maybe an idea could be that an expansion draft could allow a new team to have access to ALL free agents before any other team. It's not a solution, but perhaps a step in the right direction. There's just no way to "police" them into not being idiots with spending though.

dazzle im pretty sure the new expansion teams have talking rights with the UFA's before any other team, they cannot sign a contract but they can speak with them

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I did read an article today about U.S. NHL viewership being down around 20%.  Second year of NHL on ESPN/TNT.  Oof.

That was a somewhat misleading statement though.  They've doubled their number of games from 27 to 54.  That typically affects the average viewership per game because not everyone is just going to double how often they watch hockey simply because there are more games available.  Viewership is not where they hoped but the numbers look more dramatic than they are in absolute.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Provost said:

I think the concern about it affecting the cap is overblown a bit.  They aren't big value franchises that provide much revenue from those regional TV deals anyways.

It also opens the door for finding new media partners for those markets and the league could do even better on new ones.  

Yup.  The handful of viewers those teams get isn’t going to cause a huge loss of revenue.  It’s obvious revenue in those US markets is gate driven.  People down there don’t watch games on TV.  The league dies without us. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The handful of viewers those teams get isn’t going to cause a huge loss of revenue.  It’s obvious revenue in those US markets is gate driven.  People down there don’t watch games on TV.  The league dies without us. 

The U.S. has really stupid regional blackouts, and they don't have any legit methods to go around it.  Those who are resourceful enough will either use a VPN or just pirate a stream.:emot-parrot:  For casual fans, it's easier to simply watch something other than hockey.  The overall success of the NHL hinges on how accessible they make it in the U.S.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The U.S. has really stupid regional blackouts, and they don't have any legit methods to go around it.  Those who are resourceful enough will either use a VPN or just pirate a stream.:emot-parrot:  For casual fans, it's easier to simply watch something other than hockey.  The overall success of the NHL hinges on how accessible they make it in the U.S.

I thought that was the point of having hockey back on ESPN? To get wider exposure?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I thought that was the point of having hockey back on ESPN? To get wider exposure?

A couple things to think about.  Firstly, the lower numbers aren't accounting for ESPN+.  Streaming is such an important thing for Disney and they are doing everything they can to get casuals to watch online.  People my age (who have moved out) don't have cable.  If they want to watch sports, they'll just sail the seas.  But for Americans trying watch their own team, they have no options.  You are entirely beholden to your local TV network and blackouts.  You live in New Jersey but your cable provider doesn't have the appropriate local hockey channel?  You're out of luck.  Can't even use a streaming service because you're blacked out.

• Sad 2

On 2/1/2023 at 1:28 PM, Dazzle said:

Hey, no worries. I hope I didn't come across as hostile. I'm trying to make an effort to be a better poster starting right away.

200.gif

18 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A couple things to think about.  Firstly, the lower numbers aren't accounting for ESPN+.  Streaming is such an important thing for Disney and they are doing everything they can to get casuals to watch online.  People my age (who have moved out) don't have cable.  If they want to watch sports, they'll just sail the seas.  But for Americans trying watch their own team, they have no options.  You are entirely beholden to your local TV network and blackouts.  You live in New Jersey but your cable provider doesn't have the appropriate local hockey channel?  You're out of luck.  Can't even use a streaming service because you're blacked out.

Yep, with your last point. Bally and Roots are two of the worst regional broadcasters. None really have a streaming option and both are limited to a few select cabal providers that cost like $20 per month just to have those channels. 

Bally going down is probably a blessing in disguise. Hope Root is the next to go. Without thise two, it might be easier to move away from blackouts. 

I mean US blackout rules are ridiculous. How can one zipcode be blackedout by 3 to 4 different teams that is like over 10 hour drive away from said teams. 

At most blackout should be restricted to one team per zipcode. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Bettmans greatest mistake was not having more Canadian teams.Make the game strong where it started and then add teams.

The league would be way better off if there was 16 to 20 teams in Canada.

OK there's already 7 in Canada. I'm dying to know where you would put the other 13 teams?

• Cheers 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:23 PM, 24K PureCool said:

Yep, with your last point. Bally and Roots are two of the worst regional broadcasters. None really have a streaming option and both are limited to a few select cabal providers that cost like $20 per month just to have those channels. 

Bally going down is probably a blessing in disguise. Hope Root is the next to go. Without thise two, it might be easier to move away from blackouts. 

I mean US blackout rules are ridiculous. How can one zipcode be blackedout by 3 to 4 different teams that is like over 10 hour drive away from said teams. 

At most blackout should be restricted to one team per zipcode. 

Blackouts were originally meant to help teams keep local fans so they'd go to the game instead of watch on tv. A pretty stupid idea anyway but then they became a way to make people get cable etc. I love that i couldn't hulu stream the caps @ canucks game as i live near dc. Thankfully the only other games that i miss out on are tnt cable games (i think there are about 2 left involving the canucks).

I really thought that the tv deal and merch was bigger than the gate. I mean the southern us teams ticket prices are crazy low and the arenas are full of free tickets and inflated phantom crowd numbers. 

On 2/2/2023 at 9:29 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Regional blackouts need to die. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 6:54 PM, cripplereh said:

Bettmans greatest mistake was not having more Canadian teams.Make the game strong where it started and then add teams.

The league would be way better off if there was 16 to 20 teams in Canada.

The league already doesn’t think Quebec has the capacity for corporate support so that is the only viable option for a team in Canada and that is even up in the air. 

Maybe Hamilton or a second team in Toronto. That is it. 

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The league already doesn’t think Quebec has the capacity for corporate support so that is the only viable option for a team in Canada and that is even up in the air. 

Maybe Hamilton or a second team in Toronto. That is it. 

Yeah, but you wouldn't really get any new fans from another team in HAM/TOR.  It would just mess things up....

• Cheers 1