The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

6 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

With Barzal as a playmaking wing to set him up, I think his situation is looking pretty good. Sounds like he's quickly becoming a fan favourite too.

Clean shaven Bo really looks like he fits in as an Islander, they've got a whole squad of basically rectangular-faced young men (Neson, Anders Lee, Barzal). Hope he's happy, he looks a lot happier than in Vancouver. No letter on his sweater but he's out there fist bumping his team-mates in the line after the win.

Say what you want about Lou and how this deal won't age well but he's a star right now and that's the price you simply have to pay to elevate your team. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Clean shaven Bo really looks like he fits in as an Islander, they've got a whole squad of basically rectangular-faced young men (Neson, Anders Lee, Barzal). Hope he's happy, he looks a lot happier than in Vancouver. No letter on his sweater but he's out there fist bumping his team-mates in the line after the win.

Say what you want about Lou and how this deal won't age well but he's a star right now and that's the price you simply have to pay to elevate your team. 

Man that highlight made me feel good. Bo looked so pumped up to get his first as an Islander. And he knows that he at least has a chance at the playoffs, and that he can do his part to get them there. He seems like a such a good, humble guy who really bore the burden of being the captain of a losing team in this market. I hope he's happy in NY.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, coryberg said:

It's never happened but common sense says it can. The players current contract runs out at years end. The other contract hasn't even started yet.

I could see them saying you can't retain one deal until it starts but it would be highly unlikely for it to be a problem to retain on their current deal.

Puckapedia took a stab at it too.

Screenshot_20230208_112008_Chrome.jpg

That definitely seems like the right answer.  Up to the NHL to decide and get maybe even get agreement from The PA on it.

You can’t cover all situations in collective bargaining as there are things you would never have envisioned.  The truth is even the league probably isn’t sure and unless they got an MOU from the PA, they could need to get a arbitrator to decide if for some reason the PA wanted to put in a grievance about it.

The details matter, we call them extensions but presumably they are entirely new SPCs and not just an addendum to the existing one with a change to the salary and term.  If that is the case, there doesn’t seem to be any reason why you can’t retain on the existing contract and not on the new one.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

That definitely seems like the right answer.  Up to the NHL to decide and get maybe even get agreement from The PA on it.

You can’t cover all situations in collective bargaining as there are things you would never have envisioned.  The truth is even the league probably isn’t sure and unless they got an MOU from the PA, they could need to get a arbitrator to decide if for some reason the PA wanted to put in a grievance about it.

The details matter, we call them extensions but presumably they are entirely new SPCs and not just an addendum to the existing one with a change to the salary and term.  If that is the case, there doesn’t seem to be any reason why you can’t retain on the existing contract and not on the new one.

Does it help the Canucks? Yes? Denied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Larkin may not want to go, it's the same thing as Bo who said he thought he'd be a Canuck for life. 

You know what changes that? MONEY. 

Larkin's going to go wherever and whichever team and NHL organization is willing to give him what he wants. This has nothing to do with loyalty to a state. 

That is the key, if they wanted to sign they could do it tomorrow.  

If they want to maximize their contracts they can negotiate, but don’t expect me to feel bad that it is stressful about it being public or a distraction.  If the difference between $7.5 million or $8.5 million a year is worth that stress… then do it.  You don’t get it both ways though.

• Cheers 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:14 AM, shiznak said:

It’s hard to get any opportunities off the rush, if your teammates aren’t able to get out of the zone or they turn it over in the neutral zone. Kesler had a way better defensive core/supporting cast to work with than Horvat. Also most of the time, Horvat would just take the defensive faceoff and go for a change once they get possession. 

Miller primarily played wing for Tampa. Thus why he got the opportunity to play on the top line. 

Miller's first season here he took 718 faceoffs (2nd to Bo) winning 59% of them while Petey took only 141 faceoffs winning 41.8%. The season prior Petey played almost entirely wing in the SHL while that prior year while Miller took 524 faceoffs in Tampa mainly playing 3rd line. Saying he got top line because he played mainly wing in Tampa makes no sense as a reason for getting the role over Bo. Why would you a put a guy that played "mainly wing" with a rookie that played "almost entirely wing" the season prior along with an actual winger in just his second season together? Saying Miller was put with Petey and Boeser because played "mainly wing" the year before makes no sense at all. 

Btw, Petey never took more than his rookie 141 faceoffs untill his 3rd season and even then it was fewer than Miller took his last year in Tampa playing "mainly wing". So you need to come up with a better reason for Miller to be put with the rookie and sophmore over Bo than "he played mainly wing".

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

The NYI defence was never an issue.  They were one of the stingiest teams in the league before Bo even got there.  I'm sure starting with possession more often helps too, but Bo was brought in for offence.

Bo was a whopping 67% on the faceoff.  So they arguably got better on defence and offence.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

All CBA wording I've seen on retention refers to single, individual, contracts. I don't think it's really all that grey.

Never been done before, and no specific ruling allowing it too though so yeah, still a grey area.

I hope we could anything to dump that albatross deal would be great.

55 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Miller's first season here he took 718 faceoffs (2nd to Bo) winning 59% of them while Petey took only 141 faceoffs winning 41.8%. The season prior Petey played almost entirely wing in the SHL while that prior year while Miller took 524 faceoffs in Tampa mainly playing 3rd line. Saying he got top line because he played mainly wing in Tampa makes no sense as a reason for getting the role over Bo. Why would you a put a guy that played "mainly wing" with a rookie that played "almost entirely wing" the season prior along with an actual winger in just his second season together? Saying Miller was put with Petey and Boeser because played "mainly wing" the year before makes no sense at all. 

Btw, Petey never took more than his rookie 141 faceoffs untill his 3rd season and even then it was fewer than Miller took his last year in Tampa playing "mainly wing". So you need to come up with a better reason for Miller to be put with the rookie and sophmore over Bo than "he played mainly wing".

Miller took just under 370 faceoffs in Tampa prior to being traded here. Paquette, Cirelli, Point, and Stamkos all took over 800+ draws. Stamkos and Cirelli were his centermen. Green and management were deadset on using Pettersson as a centermen. I remember a game against Calgary, where Pettersson won 1 out of 7 draws. After the game Green was asked if he ever considered moving Pettersson to the wing and his answer was “no.”. 

Just because, Miller took more draws than Pettersson doesn’t necessarily mean he “played” center during that shift. There were times Green would just use him to take faceoffs, and he’ll shift back to the wing.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Bo was a whopping 67% on the faceoff.  So they arguably got better on defence and offence.

Nah those no argument.  They got better both offensively and defensively.  Just not sure the increase in defence is that substantial.  They were already a really solid team defensively.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is the key, if they wanted to sign they could do it tomorrow.  

If they want to maximize their contracts they can negotiate, but don’t expect me to feel bad that it is stressful about it being public or a distraction.  If the difference between $7.5 million or $8.5 million a year is worth that stress… then do it.  You don’t get it both ways though.

We'll never understand their lives, I get that. But neither do they understand, or perhaps have forgotten what it's like to be "normal". 7.5M compared to 8.5M. I guess to them it's a big difference. But when you're making 68M as a whole, I mean, c'mon...

I just want to have enough to make sure my family is alive and well at the end of each day. I'll never understand 68M. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Islanders definitely a better team today. 

Bo's already winning more with the Islanders this week than the Canucks. He's 2-0 with New York. 

Winning more and making 68M in the bank. No wonder he's smiling. He has everything now. 

Edited by N4ZZY

6 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Happy for Horvat, will always be a fan of his.  The ovation he got after scoring in Long Island was amazing and well deserved. 

We'll see how it looks next year, when he's back to being a 55-65 point player making 8.5

• Wat 2
  • There it is 1