The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Feb. 11, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Whether Demko comes back or not this season, we need to ship out assets. 

Schenn needs to go. His value is high because he is a character guy, who plays an in your face, simple game. His physicality will be sought after. At minimum, I am expecting a 2nd rounder for him. Low cap hit gamer and with many teams "contending" he will be a nice add for someone.

If we can't find what we want in Myers or Boeser prior to the dealine, I hope Alvin exercises patience and gets his desired return in the offseason.

Edited by KirkSave

3 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Whether Demko comes back or not this season, we need to ship out assets. 

Schenn needs to go. His value is high because he is a character guy, who plays an in your face, simple game. His physicality will be sought after. At minimum, I am expecting a 2nd rounder for him. Low cap hit gamer and with many teams "contending" he will be a nice add for someone.

If we can't find what we want in Myers or Boeser prior to the dealine, I hope Alvin exercises patience and gets his desired return in the offseason.

What? KirkSave you need to look at the cap numbers. Schenn is the cheapest d man we got for production. dont look at points look at the plus/minus and cost per game... demko cant come back due to cap issues and you want to get rid of a cheap d-man? WTF buddy

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Or, possibly....it's because it's a Saturday and was a 9 am start?

5 hours ago, jyu said:

It’s kinda early too. 

5 hours ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

I was about to lay into you for being a troll, i checked the history of your messages and you seem like a contributing member...

Watching I See You GIF

3 hours ago, kurtis said:

Everyone still sleeping off the hang over bro. Early game! 

?
?
?
?
Does nobody get up early for Saturday morning hijinks....like running around like a lunatic for no reason, smashing your head against a wall, pugilistic combat, shattered dreams.
Damn I thought I was up early watching looney tunes....That was the Canucks game?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, RWJC said:

D market (Myers) could open up now.

Chychrun healthy scratched for tonight in anticipation of being traded.

Yep. Just saw this note in the game between ARZ and STL.  btw - what happened to the Blues - seems to be really bad right now - mustered very little for most of period at home and now down to Coyotes. I think the Canucks actually try a bit more than most teams - offense is fine but the goaltending and D need considerable work.

Will see if Chychrun goes and open up the floodgates with Schenn next if the deal is right..

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, danjr said:

?
?
?
?
Does nobody get up early for Saturday morning hijinks....like running around like a lunatic for no reason, smashing your head against a wall, pugilistic combat, shattered dreams.
Damn I thought I was up early watching looney tunes....That was the Canucks game?

8 minutes ago, danjr said:

?
?
?
?

Never in a million years would i do this stuff in the morning.... i take my ketamine at night.

• Like 1

this has been a near perfect  tank day so far...

we got the L

islanders got a point... dont want them dropping too far.

MTL won

Phi/Nsh went to OT

Washington beat boston... good for the NYI pick

Colorado beat florida.. good for the NYI pick...

the only negative things is that Buffalo and Ottawa lost... 

Arizona is winning 2-0 hoping it goes to OT

CBJ is beating TO 3-2 .. i dont think that we are catching them... its just funny that TO is losing to the last place team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

Should trade Kuz. Not glued to the bench 

We’re keeping Kuz. Can’t teach his kind of elite skill. We can teach him to play the right way. Got to break his game down for the rest of the season, and then he’ll be a lot better next year. 

• Cheers 4

My thoughts on the game:  

Spencer Martin was awful.  He actually negated any good that we did in this game.  Other then the middle period, I didn't like his game at all.  Biggest reason that we lost.  

Schenn was okay.  OEL was good most of the game and then let pucks go through him on the PK, and took one bad penalty (puck over the glass).  Bear had a really tough game.  Myers was up and down like his usual self.  Stillman was actually solid IMO.  Quinn Hughes was our best skater overall.  

JT Miller and Dakota Joshua led the way for forwards.  They were both engaged physically and I felt like they both did well on the PK.  

Kuzmenko was doing too much gliding.  Might become a chicken or the egg discussion, but him having his minutes cut was warranted by his play.  

Petey, Beauvillier, Boeser and Di Giuseppe were the other forward standouts for me.  

Perfect game where we outplayed Detroit but lost because of the horrible goaltending. Never thought I'd say this at the start of the year, but we look poised to finish in the bottom 7 of the Bedard sweepstakes!

1 minute ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

its rather upsetting Kuz is in the doghouse... but i get it... send a message, we are doing things differently now that tocchets here..

Yup. Everyone will be held to the same account to play the right way. Tocchet, and his staff, will teach Kuz to play the right way. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Everyone will be held to the same account to play the right way. Tocchet, and his staff, will teach Kuz to play the right way. 

I wonder if Kuz goes the same way as Baertschi

Baerts was a perimeter player who learned to take his lumps

then got injured repeatedly and disappeared

There is no way the Islanders can make the playoffs now.  They just lost 2 in a row to the bottom feeding teams, Pittsburgh has 5 games in hand, Washington 2 and Florida 2.  The Islanders already dropped their load as well and went all in on BO.  Meanwhile, the other teams still have moves to make at the deadline.  

According to Satiar Shar, the Islanders might give us the pick even if it's top 8 or 9, as they don't want to take a chance on giving us an unprotected pick next year.  I don't see the Islanders being any better next year, so the chances of us getting another top 10 pick this year are quite high.

We are 6th now and the other teams below us seem to be winning some games, so as long as Martin is in net, we have a good shot at losing alot more games this year.  I think we end up with two top 10 picks this year.  That would be fantastic news for the retool...

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I just want them to finally do it the right way. This piecing together and hoping for the best has got to stop. They have wasted so many years and yet they are still talking about it. Try it until it works I guess so they can say "See we were right."

Fortunately, the management is forced to do it the "right" way, which I guess is to tank and draft new core players.

The previous core we had in place, including Horvat was not a bad one. Horvat, Petey, Miller, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko are the type of guys that step up their game in the playoffs. We lost to Vegas in 2020 but that was before Petey and Hughes have come into their own. Horvat and Miller have also improved their game since then, although Miller somehow developed a temper problem while improving his offensive game. Boeser obviously plateaued and needs to be replaced whether we keep him on the team or not.

I honestly believe that without COVID and without some of the radical roster decisions made since 2020, we wouldn't be where we are now. We would all be excited for the playoffs.

But that core is no longer affordable so we had no choice but to trade away a key piece in Horvat. Boeser also needs to be replaced as he has stalled, unlike Petey and Hughes, who have improved their games by leaps and bounds.

I point to the sudden erosion of key support personnel that were in charge of defending for the mess that we have at hand. We went from

Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Tanev, Edler, Stecher, Benn/Fantenberg, Eriksson

to

Lazar, Aman/Dries, Joshua, older Pearson, Schenn, OEL, Bear, Dermott/Stillman.

We used to have guys that spent years honing their skills at defending the lead as well killing penalties. The bottom, well, nothing needs to be said. 

The roster composition was totally broken. Coupled with flat cap, the management has no choice but to ship out core and go on a rebuild or retool or whatever. 

They need to find balance in the roster again while drafting two additional players to round out the core. I hope we can draft a good RD and a play driving forward, preferably a center but if it's an elite winger like Mitchkov, hat would do as well.

Now that we are committed to rebuilding, I'm looking forward to the 2023 draft lottery, the draft itself, and off season. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think we end up with two top 10 picks this year.  That would be fantastic news for the retool...

Would be amazing to walk away with Smith and SandinPellikka, as an example

Hoping they pick up another couple of 2nds as well. Deep draft and players will fall. 

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no way the Islanders can make the playoffs now.  They just lost 2 in a row to the bottom feeding teams, Pittsburgh has 5 games in hand, Washington 2 and Florida 2.  The Islanders already dropped their load as well and went all in on BO.  Meanwhile, the other teams still have moves to make at the deadline.  

According to Satiar Shar, the Islanders might give us the pick even if it's top 8 or 9, as they don't want to take a chance on giving us an unprotected pick next year.  I don't see the Islanders being any better next year, so the chances of us getting another top 10 pick this year are quite high.

We are 6th now and the other teams below us seem to be winning some games, so as long as Martin is in net, we have a good shot at losing alot more games this year.  I think we end up with two top 10 picks this year.  That would be fantastic news for the retool...

I think the chance that they miss the playoffs is quite high. They probably won't suck enough to get to 8 or 9 so the only way they get in to top 10 is by winning the lottery, which would make the pick 7th overall or better. I don't see them giving us their pick in that case.

We will likely have the 13th-17th overall pick from them.

But yeah, we will have two very high picks this season and this is the right draft to be owning 2 high picks.

• Upvote 1