The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Feb. 11, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Schenn is getting moved and very likely happening sooner than closer to the deadline, he has a growing family and will want to ensure things are all secure on the homefront. I see the Canucks getting a 2nd round pick plus for Schenn.

Boeser is no doubt getting a good look by Tocchet, not showcasing for a trade as much as to see how he could fit in the lineup here, his contract and playing style means he needs to be on that top or second line not meddling up and down the lineup, play him for what you are paying him. The flip side is the few clubs the player and agent have spoken with are seeing Boeser showing on a top line. Minnesota, New Jersey, maybe others are getting a good idea how he could fit into their plans. Boeser would be one player in addition to Myers the Canucks will retain on to use up their three retention slots if they choose to trade him. It is very realistic that Boeser nets a 2nd pick range and perhaps a prospect depending on retention.

Miller I just don't see the team moving, he will be Tocchet's guy and you are already seeing a shift in his play away from the puck and his focus so there could still be something here to maximize. Demko I would not at all be surprised to see move on, perhaps a club like Los Angeles makes sense just dont think they have to make a move in goal or to move Petersen's contract because they have flexibility themselves. If you could bring in Sean Durzi whom the Kings would move to add a tough dman or address goaltending, maybe a pick is added to him, doubt a player like Vilardi etc woud be on the table.

Myers may still be an offseason move, but it is the time of year teams go hunting for defensemen and even a small sample size you can see Myers is coachable and can clean up his game if simplified, could be a nice catch for a team adding depth. Again depending on retention but you could see an expiring contract come back for him and a pick.

I believe Beauvillier and Garland will remain Canucks, both have speed, play a responsible 200 foot game and while Garland can be better utilized than he has been, Beauvillier can play both special teams and his speed will help the club.

Kuzmenko will be fine, this is simply a coach getting through to his players, Kuzmenko is the fun and sexy choice to be a favorite with his scoring and enthusiasm but he needs to be put in check in regards to his game away from the puck, we all see this, he's in his first season and will be fine.

On top of that, we can't afford to have him out with another injury if we're trying to move him. 

I think if we can't get that second round pick, I'd look to re-sign him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

On top of that, we can't afford to have him out with another injury if we're trying to move him. 

I think if we can't get that second round pick, I'd look to re-sign him. 

The Oilers traded a 2nd, a 7th, and William Lagesson for Brett Kulak, Schenn is very much worth I would argue more than a 2nd. I read a bucn of crap on Dhaliwal, Lalhji, Patterson posting about perhaps only 3rd rounders are on the table. I call BS on that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RWJC said:

We aren’t really trying to win John.

we’re trying to purge bad habits and build context for the changes that will be needed in the offseason

They don't have anything to win with, this is the entire point. Showcasing Boeser is going to prove futile if he continues his way of play. Any trade involving Boeser is going to be a whole lot of retention, and probably a 5th or 6th rounder. I hope I'm wrong but bad habits are the least of this teams worries.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

I don’t think he skated on the a line with Petey as a set up man. Not sure how much he played with Barzal. My point is if he goes on a ppg mini heater he will attract much more attention than he did with the Islanders. I could be way off on this note. Can you bring up a good point that he has been shopped most of the season. It’s early I just don’t know what our plan is with this player.

Especially since Beau has proven to raise his game in the playoffs too. For sure he will have good value at the 2024 TDL as a rental. 

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

They don't have anything to win with, this is the entire point. Showcasing Boeser is going to prove futile if he continues his way of play. Any trade involving Boeser is going to be a whole lot of retention, and probably a 5th or 6th rounder. I hope I'm wrong but bad habits are the least of this teams worries.

Unless Boeser shows that he can play up and belongs in a top 6 role elsewhere, which he seems to be doing again. But there’s no opportunity for improvement unless he gets TOI. It’s just the position the team is in now so have to make the most out of certain assets. I’m not sure it’s futile…we’ve tried moving him when he was playing poorly. Now that he has a bit of jump and TDL is around the corner, he could become an attractive option that fetches a viable return. A home run? Probably not, but something can still be made out of the cap space afforded (less retention) from moving him. Even small incremental progress is good. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

If it’s only a 3rd you keep Schenn. We need his grit and leadership to bring along our younger players. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I agree. It's a second or nothing. 

Move Myers. Schenn is everything we lack and is cost effective. Myers is everything we don’t need. And costs way to much. Let Toronto have him. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, chon derry said:

Move Myers. Schenn is everything we lack and is cost effective. Myers is everything we don’t need. And costs way to much. Let Toronto have him. 

Not really that easy, if it was he'd already be gone. 

He'd be worth more next year at the deadline, especially if we retain. 

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

Not really that easy, if it was he'd already be gone. 

He'd be worth more next year at the deadline, especially if we retain. 

Nobody’s easy to trade. But 6’8” RHD won’t be to hard to move nearer tdl. This year. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree. It's a second or nothing. 

When JTM has his fits (no slag), the team needs someone controlled, experienced and with a strong presence to exude calm and professionalism. We really don’t have anyone else like Schenn. Incredibly valuable to this club.

He should retire a Canuck even if he’s rented out 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Schenn is getting moved and very likely happening sooner than closer to the deadline, he has a growing family and will want to ensure things are all secure on the homefront. I see the Canucks getting a 2nd round pick plus for Schenn.

Boeser is no doubt getting a good look by Tocchet, not showcasing for a trade as much as to see how he could fit in the lineup here, his contract and playing style means he needs to be on that top or second line not meddling up and down the lineup, play him for what you are paying him. The flip side is the few clubs the player and agent have spoken with are seeing Boeser showing on a top line. Minnesota, New Jersey, maybe others are getting a good idea how he could fit into their plans. Boeser would be one player in addition to Myers the Canucks will retain on to use up their three retention slots if they choose to trade him. It is very realistic that Boeser nets a 2nd pick range and perhaps a prospect depending on retention.

Miller I just don't see the team moving, he will be Tocchet's guy and you are already seeing a shift in his play away from the puck and his focus so there could still be something here to maximize. Demko I would not at all be surprised to see move on, perhaps a club like Los Angeles makes sense just dont think they have to make a move in goal or to move Petersen's contract because they have flexibility themselves. If you could bring in Sean Durzi whom the Kings would move to add a tough dman or address goaltending, maybe a pick is added to him, doubt a player like Vilardi etc woud be on the table.

Myers may still be an offseason move, but it is the time of year teams go hunting for defensemen and even a small sample size you can see Myers is coachable and can clean up his game if simplified, could be a nice catch for a team adding depth. Again depending on retention but you could see an expiring contract come back for him and a pick.

I believe Beauvillier and Garland will remain Canucks, both have speed, play a responsible 200 foot game and while Garland can be better utilized than he has been, Beauvillier can play both special teams and his speed will help the club.

Kuzmenko will be fine, this is simply a coach getting through to his players, Kuzmenko is the fun and sexy choice to be a favorite with his scoring and enthusiasm but he needs to be put in check in regards to his game away from the puck, we all see this, he's in his first season and will be fine.

Agreed on Schenn, I think it's just a matter of where and when.

Boeser could go either way, if he can be productive his deal isn't a long-term one so it's not a huge headache. A 2nd and maybe a B or C+ level prospect doesn't seem farfetched. Maybe a later 1st if they say.. retain 2M. 

I'm hoping for a Miller trade but I'd be a bit surprised, we have til like July 1st to figure that one out though. We'll see. 

Demko wouldn't surprise me, I'm kinda hoping there's something to the rumours. I don't see us doing much over the next 3-4 seasons anyway, maybe we make the playoffs but I doubt we'll be anywhere near contention. LA isn't move A grade pieces like Vilardi, I reckon something like Grans and a 2nd would be more realistic. 

Could see Myers going this season, during the summer, or at next season's deadline. Hard to say what we'd get back though. 

Could see either Garland or Beau going, not expecting it but wouldn't be surprised. Beau probably gets the rest of the season to show what he can, he's not a long term commitment right now in any case. 

Kuzmenko likely isn't moved, I'm not expecting that at all. Maybe in the final year of his deal but not sooner than later. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Spencer Martin in his last 10 games:

0-10-0.

Expecting a career farmer to be anything but a career farmer at his age was unreasonable. He had a good run in the A, but that's likely the highlight of his career. Delia has been the far better of the duo and should be the backup going forward.

Edited by canuckleheads fan