The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Feb. 11, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Kinda sick of pro athletes paid millions to not be in the physical shape / conditioning required to be a successful team.

Since the sedins and our 2011 core why have we had so many players with conditioning issues.

it makes no sense to me.

respect to tocchet for calling it out in the media.

it’s just bs To not be in shape. I wouldn’t want any of these players to be my teammates and I don’t wanna cheer for them even. Pisses me off

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Kinda sick of pro athletes paid millions to not be in the physical shape / conditioning required to be a successful team.

Since the sedins and our 2011 core why have we had so many players with conditioning issues.

it makes no sense to me.

it’s just bs To not be in shape. I wouldn’t want any of these players to be my teammates and I don’t wanna cheer for them even. Pisses me off

What did Tocchet say? Who is not in shape?

10 minutes ago, R3aL said:

it makes no sense to me.

Interesting that Miller was flying today, which means he is in shape.  Petey as well.  Guys I noticed that are either slow, can't skate or out of shape are Boeser, Dries, Joshua, OEL, Stillman, Burroughs, Schenn.  Kuzmenko isn't that fast either but he doesn't look out of shape.  Rest of the guys look speedy.  Miller had a strong game.  He's not the fastest skater either but you can tell he was busting his butt.  Di Giuseppe impressed me.  It must be all the pizza and pasta he eats before the game that gives him the energy...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup, that would work.  I'd even throw in Di Giuseppe to give them another forward to replace Kerfoot.  We then would have 3 1st round picks this year...

the more and more i think about it... retention on this year and next year is not that big a deal... if it gets us a better return... its not like we are going to fix the team in one year anyways....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jyu said:

What did Tocchet say? Who is not in shape?

Listen to his postgame interview. He says they need to hit another level of fitness he’s gonna work on it with them cause it’s not good enough.

and Bruce made a comment about it to at one point 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Interesting that Miller was flying today, which means he is in shape.  Petey as well.  Guys I noticed that are either slow, can't skate or out of shape are Boeser, Dries, Joshua, OEL, Stillman, Burroughs, Schenn.  Kuzmenko isn't that fast either but he doesn't look out of shape.  Rest of the guys look speedy.  Miller had a strong game.  He's not the fastest skater either but you can tell he was busting his butt.  Di Giuseppe impressed me.  It must be all the pizza and pasta he eats before the game that gives him the energy...

I don’t know who it was directed at specifically but it was broad enough for him to say and made it sound like it was a large portion of the group.

plus the camp that wasn’t impressive, the comment Bruce made about fitness, and the country club vibe comments.

it’s all to me just not acceptable. 

Miller has really been playing better. Funny how quick narratives for him can change so dramatically too. Hope he keeps building off it and tocchet plus the system changes could be great for him 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Why didnt Hughes have an A on his sweater today? Petey did

We have a 4 person leadership group 

usually that’s 3 As and 1 C

we can only have max 3 Alternative Captains on Ice

since we weren’t ready to name a new C 

we have 4 As. So since petey and Hughes are new to the leadership group looks like they are alternating As

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no way the Islanders can make the playoffs now.  They just lost 2 in a row to the bottom feeding teams, Pittsburgh has 5 games in hand, Washington 2 and Florida 2.  The Islanders already dropped their load as well and went all in on BO.  Meanwhile, the other teams still have moves to make at the deadline.  

According to Satiar Shar, the Islanders might give us the pick even if it's top 8 or 9, as they don't want to take a chance on giving us an unprotected pick next year.  I don't see the Islanders being any better next year, so the chances of us getting another top 10 pick this year are quite high.

We are 6th now and the other teams below us seem to be winning some games, so as long as Martin is in net, we have a good shot at losing alot more games this year.  I think we end up with two top 10 picks this year.  That would be fantastic news for the retool...

March/April will be very interesting as we meet Ducks x3,  Arizona x2, Blackhaws x2, Sharks and Blues x 2....

Those 10 games will determine, mainly, whete we will be drafting.

It could for once be, that we will put our selves in a prime position to strike gold. 

A top 6 pick (hopefully even higher) and a pick between 10-14....

This would be gold for this franchise.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hearing that Patrick Kane will be having surgery.  If that is the case then Brock Boeser should have more suitors...

Kane was being traded as a UFA though where teams could acquire him for a 2.6M cap hit with 75% retention.  Boeser's cap hit and term is still a difficult trade to make.  

Watched the game delayed and despite the defeat, there seems to be more snarl to the game of the boys. 
OEL doesn't back down, and the forward were quick to support one another during scrums...

Quite like what I'm seeing. 
Get a few more heavies on the team, and then ship out Myers. 
Its frustrating to see him imitate QH, only to get stripped of the puck. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Obviously this was a dreadful game from the out-set, the combination of bad defending and AHL goaltending sums it up. This time we couldn't score our way out of our problems. Petey forces 2 goals for but the rest of the team is non-existent. Didn't look like it score-wise but this was one of our most embarassing games.

2 goals on 2 shots against to start the game.

That defending by Bear was atrocious to start the game, he handcuffs Quinn then coughs it up, then doesn't cover his man who snipes an easy goal against a goalie who may as well not be there. I think his little burst is over - Bear started his tenure with us so strongly but now I can see why he fell off in Carolina - he's just not consistently good and gets caught a bit slow sometimes. He's not quite a puck mover, not quite a tough defensive guy, just in the middle. When he was good for us he was great (IMO our 2nd best defenceman at times this year) but we're seeing the cracks now. I hope we have a long hard think about whether we extend him or not and it'll depend a lot on what else we can do to sort this defence out.

Then next batter up is OEL who gets his feet stuck in mud and doesn't move quick enough, same can be said for Myers. Even Burroughs was just fishing out there, bad positioning at times which lead to the goals against.

We have to be one of the easiest teams to score goals against. When you look at the teams below us, their personnel on D are so much worse. They have a bunch of AHLers playing whereas we have "bonified" NHLers with tonnes of experience and ironically are all former first round picks, yet our guys are just toast. They're either too old and well past their prime or just not good enough.

Tocchet's systems don't change a thing when you just suck at your job. I think we've averaged over 4GAA with Rick now which is even worse than with Bruce so I hope that whole coaching chatter can be put to bed, it hasn't changed our defence at all.

6th overall pick right now, I hope we keep sliding and it's kind of fun but sad to see the fans cheering for a loss. Half a season is alright but 2-3 years of cheering for losses can weigh on a franchise so hopefully this is a quick nose-dive, collect our pearl(s) at this upcoming draft and scoot back to the top.