The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Feb. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

For me it wreaks of desperation from the coach to squeeze as much out of our stars as possible to get some late season wins. 

The old Torts way of coaching when he was here.  Couldn't be bothered with formulating strategies & just rode the vets like a rented mule (until the wheels fell off/players got injured due to fatigue)

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No doubt that Benning was an absolute moron. Signing Myers for the length of contract that he did was stupid, and the whole trade with Arizona crippled the team, for no particularly good reason. The situation was never going to be easy to fix, but AILvin did say that he thought the defense was good enough to compete, which indicates that he might be insane.

Um yep. and then Schenn away for nothing. is this the bullet proof evidence or what? so what can anyone do?

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well they also hired Torts.  No shortage of questionable management in the NHL.  It's often not what you know but who you know.  Just like real life.

that is true

what is also true is there is no shortage of questionable management in the NHL management

by that I mean Bettman, Daly, Campbell, Parros

the NHL has been trying to sell and create parity for years

and what we are seeing now is a pretty watered down product

Can anyone say that the Nashville, StLouis or Dallas games were good hockey?

if Vancouver can beat them with 4 AHL defenseman and 5 AHL forwards,

it is not only an indictment of those teams, but of the NHL as well 

meanwhile there are 6-8 teams that are actually playing for the cup every year

Try as they might, the NHL has failed to make parity anything more than a catchphrase

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

For me it wreaks of desperation from the coach to squeeze as much out of our stars as possible to get some late season wins. 

Gotta remember that we lost Ethan Bear 1 minute into the game.  

Then there was the fact that OEL sustained an injury...  

Anyways I don't want to see Quinn playing 25 minutes either.  

On 2/28/2023 at 1:55 AM, Boudrias said:

We watch it for the same reasons you do mostly. I am very interested in watching the team and how Tocchet is bringing them along. Do you actually think I am cheering each misstep or missed shot? I’ve been a Canuck fan from the beginning. Over 53 years you see a lot of ebb and flows. When the Canucks dropped out of playoff contention I wanted them to tank for the best draft option possible. Almost without fail any team that wins the Cup draft their leaders with #1 picks or close to it. Canucks have never done that in 53 years so why not give it a try. 

I think Allvin was exactly on top of it when he said I don’t see any Cup banners hanging from the ceiling. No there isn’t. A couple of Conference banners and that seems to be enough for many. All the rationalizations can be trotted out why losing is no good. My take is that the team plays the season out. They have the firepower to win their share of games. Tocchet has them going in the right direction. I will still hope that they end up within striking distance of a top 3 pick. 

why are we not trying for matthews now and a few firsts and bits for the top draft prize at the same time