The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars | Feb. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I highly doubt that Demko will play every game the rest of the way.  So, of course Delia is going to start some games.  Sure, I can see him not playing much ove the next 2 weeks or so, but after that he is our starter so the team cannot just sit him on the bench if he is fully healthy.

Trede related reasons means we are trading him.  Are you actually saying we should sit Demko out and declare to the public and all of the fans that he is being traded?  Even if the Canucks were stupid enough to do that, that will only work for 3 more days and one more game anyways.  After Friday, you will need to come up with new material...

After being shut down for 3 months, management may also want to see, if he is back to being a no 1 goalie after his lay off...

Important to know for their off season plans. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And then Guddy got a four year deal from Columbus. 

Well they also hired Torts.  No shortage of questionable management in the NHL.  It's often not what you know but who you know.  Just like real life.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

You can do whatever you want as

long as has some vague justification. Look at the coyotes sitting players. 

Extended sitting for Trade related reasons is a newish thing, that's why i was saying get creative. NBA created load management, you could say for non-hockey related reasons. Maybe its team culture actions. NHL is way behind in enforcing things, use it. There's a lot of past examples anyway like buffalo trying to get macdavid.

Isn't that what they are currently doing with Miller?  He's out week to week with a mysterious injury.  Who else are we supposed to do that with?  Petey, Kuzy and Hughes?  Do you think they would agree to sit out and pretend they are injured when they are not?  Those are the only 3 players left that can be sat out that would actually make a difference between winning and losing a game.

You aren't really thinking this out very well to be totally honest with you...

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

I mean we’ve traded our captain and have an AHL defence with one super star dman I highly doubt we are gonna win out the remainder of the season.

like I hope to god we don’t. Lmao

I’d like for them to lose too 

but if and when we win I’m happy it’s our stars. Or young developing kids making the difference and demko needs some healing games to end the year for his mental side and confidence to take into the summer for next year.

we were never gonna finish bottom 3 no matter what. 4-8 is really our range and the odds of the lottery are kinda negligible 

im being optimistic and taking all the positives out of the situation 

1. demko can rebuild some confidence

2. we have a super star C 

3. kuzmenko is getting better and better

4. coaching system is showing improvements that we can project into next season

5. garland is rebuilding his value in league

6. AB is balling out and fits in great 

7. we are finally giving Wolanin and Briz and burr a look. It’s a tough situation considering all of them at once but I’m happy for them

8. PA is winning trades or at least I can get behind his trade logic 

9. JT miller has been better on all fronts

10. TDL is coming up and we could still make another move or two

stay optimistic regardless of wins.

we really don’t know how the lotto balls will fall. Dallas and NJD are recent examples of this.

we are going to do great in this draft regardless I can feel it. 

Thank God somebody does actually 'get it'.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers played over 25 minutes last night.  That's only around 1 minute less than Hughes.  They play opposite sides so you can't replace one with the other.  Burroughs played almost 18 minutes.  Joshua played over 18 minutes.  He actually played more than Beau and only 40 seconds less than Kuzmenko.

Trade picks for players to fill the bottom six.  We already have AHL players playing in the bottom 6, so not sure how that would help.

At the end of the day, BO, Miller, Mikheyev are all out of the lineup.  Demko was held out as long as possible to make sure he was fully healthy.  The only actual NHL defenceman that was dressed last night was Hughes.  We had several AHL forwards in the lineup as well.  Demko let in 4 goals and we still won against Dallas who is supposedly one of the best team in the West.

You can't blame the players for the win, and you can't really blame management either.  At the end of day, we have a team that can win games here and there.  It's not going to happen every night but we will win games...

It is not easy to lose a lot of games intentionally, you just put yourself in the best position to if you want to tank at an elite level.

You can play a lhd as rhd. It may create a huge issue and mean you give up more shots but that's the point! You can dress 7 d, 5 d, whatever the hell you want. 

For AHL i said journeymen eg players around 29 who aren't improving. The problem with our callups is that they are young and trying to create careers. On D they should have been up all year and they are all better than oel/myers now. We need a sean pronger/mike brown/steve kariya/old man rucinsky/old mike keane. 

In the end i blame Alvin/JR for this. Should have rode out Bruce to the sunset with tank in mind, tocchet is too defensive minded to want to lose.

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't that what they are currently doing with Miller?  He's out week to week with a mysterious injury.  Who else are we supposed to do that with?  Petey, Kuzy and Hughes?  Do you think they would agree to sit out and pretend they are injured when they are not?  Those are the only 3 players left that can be sat out that would actually make a difference between winning and losing a game.

You aren't really thinking this out very well to be totally honest with you...

I beg to differ sir. You are the one arguing chess rules while other teams are throwing poop and screaming like chimps. I'm throwing you examples from the past and other sports. I'm creating new phrases. 

Kuz has been benched before and you seem to have never heard of load management if you think we can't sit the others. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

It is not easy to lose a lot of games intentionally, you just put yourself in the best position to if you want to tank at an elite level.

You can play a lhd as rhd. It may create a huge issue and mean you give up more shots but that's the point! You can dress 7 d, 5 d, whatever the hell you want. 

For AHL i said journeymen eg players around 29 who aren't improving. The problem with our callups is that they are young and trying to create careers. On D they should have been up all year and they are all better than oel/myers now. We need a sean pronger/mike brown/steve kariya/old man rucinsky/old mike keane. 

In the end i blame Alvin/JR for this. Should have rode out Bruce to the sunset with tank in mind, tocchet is too defensive minded to want to lose.

Nah. You need to give a coaching team an opportunity for a head start going in to next season and build around their recommendations. Ride Bruce into the sunset?!? Look at the overblown, dramatic reactions to him being lame duck and that is enough of a sample about how prolonging it would have turned out.

1 hour ago, Devron said:

I don’t think JT is moved but that might be more because he’s injured. All retool meant was building around Hughes and Petey imo

I was looking at the 'Canes as a possibility. they're the one contender that could fit him under the Cap. meanwhile, all the teams around them in the standings are loading up.

I almost hope the Rags swing a deal for Kane, just so Carolina feels like they have to make a move....

• Cheers 1

Just now, OldFaithfulCap said:

I beg to differ sir. You are the one arguing chess rules while other teams are throwing poop and screaming like chimps. I'm throwing you examples from the past and other sports. I'm creating new phrases. 

Kuz has been benched before and you seem to have never heard of load management if you think we can't sit the others. 

So please explain to me how you sit out Petey, Kuzy and Hughes right now?  I am interested in how this can be done, as I personally cannot figure out a way to do it without causing a big problem and with the players actually agreeing to it.  Kuzmenko was sat out because he wasn't playing well defensively.  He is doing better now, so you can't use that excuse anymore.  

I think we have a difference of opinion on what load management means.  You are inferring it means sitting the player out.  That's why I am asking how you would actually do this.  To me load management is restricting the player's minutes in the game.  I can see that one working to a certain degree.  You can play Petey 17-18 minutes instead of 23-24 minutes.  However, you can't play him 13-14 minutes.  Petey would never agree to that and you will piss him off...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So please explain to me how you sit out Petey, Kuzy and Hughes right now?  I am interested in how this can be done, as I personally cannot figure out a way to do it without causing a big problem and with the players actually agreeing to it.  Kuzmenko was sat out because he wasn't playing well defensively.  He is doing better now, so you can't use that excuse anymore.  

I think we have a difference of opinion on what load management means.  You are inferring it means sitting the player out.  That's why I am asking how you would actually do this.  To me load management is restricting the player's minutes in the game.  I can see that one working to a certain degree.  You can play Petey 17-18 minutes instead of 23-24 minutes.  However, you can't play him 13-14 minutes.  Petey would never agree to that and you will piss him off...

1. Gastrointestinal issues for Kuzmenko - out week to week due to "tummy rumbly"

2. Petey had to reconvene with other members of his species and will beam back down soon- week to week

3. Hughes didn't get back on the plane and we cant find him - week to week

ez

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Look up how the Raptors managed Leonard and that should explain it for you. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/load-management-raptors-use-kawhi-leonard/?sn-amp

the only caveat to it is that that Raps team was considered to be a playoff caliber club so the methods optically make sense. We’re not; but it doesn’t mean you still can’t give your star players time to recuperate, regardless of the direction of the season. Every hockey player plays banged up in some way, shape or form. This is a tool. It’s not circumvention in any way at all. 

to take it one step further in terms of hypotheticals, perhaps we should have load managed Demko better the last few years…

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

You play myers and burroughs more than hughes. You load manage hughes due to being overplayed. You play dries, joshua, boeser more time. Trade last rounders for some journeymen scrubs if you must

After the TDL.

For the next couple days or so, we want all the players we no longer want to look their best.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Look up how the Raptors managed Leonard and that should explain it for you. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/load-management-raptors-use-kawhi-leonard/?sn-amp

the only caveat to it is that that Raps team was considered to be a playoff caliber club so the methods optically make sense. We’re not; but it doesn’t mean you still can’t give your star players time to recuperate, regardless of the direction of the season. Every hockey player plays banged up in some way, shape or form. This is a tool. It’s not circumvention in any way at all. 

to take it one step further in terms of hypotheticals, perhaps we should have load managed Demko better the last few years…

In reading that article, it says that Leonard was coming off a major injury the previous season and had only played 9 games.  So, the Raptors were "load managing" him by trying to get him back into shape and limiting his starts until he was fully healthy.  

Also, according to the article, you actually need league permission to "loan manage" a player and need to provide medical documentation to the league:

In order to get permission to sit Leonard — or anyone else for that matter — for load management reasons, Toronto must first provide medical documentation to the league. It should also be noted that not all requests are necessarily granted.

“Teams must contact the League Office when they are considering sitting a player in circumstances that might violate the Player Resting Policy,” the league said in an email to Sportsnet. “In limited circumstances, load management may provide a legitimate basis for a team not to play a player without violating the Player Resting Policy including, for example, a player who plays in most games but is restricted from playing in back-to-back games or in other unusual circumstances for legitimate medical reasons that have been documented and shared with the League Office.

That has nothing to do with Petey, Kuzy and Hughes anyways who are 100% healthy.  And even if they were a bit banged up, players want to play.  If you force them to sit out that will piss them off and create more problems than it solves.  Pissing Petey off to the point where he wants out kinda undermines the whole idea of tanking and getting Bedard.  Plus, it creates a big problem in the dressing room.  All for a shot at Bedard.  What happens if you don't get Bedard?  And then you lose Petey too?  This scenario can backfire big time on this team.

At the end of the day, you just have to hope that our AHL defence will not hold up. Demko will be rusty and not at his best, and we will lose more games than we win.