The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Time's up! Finish your last sentence...

AngryElf

26 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

I’d honestly take Garland over Boeser. More cause he can move and Boeser can not.

Agree. That is probably why every team prefers Garland over Boeser.

I'd say Garland is gone (or it's Demko).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

But you are handicapping yourself for years doing that. If we were to buy him out this summer, 25/26, and 26/27 is nearly $5mil of dead cap space. That is a significant player that we can't add to our roster for those 2 years. And that's not counting the 4 years after his deal would be done that we are paying $2.1mil a year. Now that is likely not near as big of a deal, but it still hurts the team. The cup contending teams don't carry dead cap.

Yep, not saying I would do it, but there's ways around it for sure. We would just have to make sure our drafting is really good to offset any cost with an ELC.

Just now, jyu said:

Agree. That is probably why every team prefers Garland over Boeser.

I'd say Garland is gone (or it's Demko).

I will be upset if Garland moves and Boeser doesn't. Garland works his azz off every shift. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Manipulating and taking advantage of it would be the point. 

I fully understand that. However, I don't recall people being too thrilled about what Tampa Bay did, so I imagine taking advantage of something else wouldn't be what people want. Fans that is of other teams

5 minutes ago, Doxm said:

I will be upset if Garland moves and Boeser doesn't. Garland works his azz off every shift. 

I’d like to see Connor on a contender and go deep into the playoffs. He’s earned it i my mind. 
He competes every game and I’ve never heard him complain about the beatings he endures. 

4 minutes ago, myre said:

I fully understand that. However, I don't recall people being too thrilled about what Tampa Bay did, so I imagine taking advantage of something else wouldn't be what people want. Fans that is of other teams

To put it bluntly, it seems like a skill issue to me. 

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

I’d like to see Connor on a contender and go deep into the playoffs. He’s earned it i my mind. 
He competes every game and I’ve never heard him complain about the beatings he endures. 

What role does Garland play on a contender? There are reasons why we are trying to dumperoo him. He’s small, and slow. He doesn’t drive a line. He can’t push play through the neutral zone. He’s to small and slow for PK. He’s too small, and can’t shoot well enough for the PP.  He’s not rough and tumble enough and is paid too much for a checking role. Plus, he’s just not good in that role. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

To put it bluntly, it seems like a skill issue to me. 

That's fair. I just don't like the league looking for more ways to have its salary cap be manipulated. Teams should be hurt and punished for the poor decisions they make. Look at Calgary. They are in a world of hurt with all these long-term contracts they have with aging players. 

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Screenshot_20230228_171107_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for this.

That was my understanding too, but I couldn’t find a good source to confirm.

And some people disagreed, last time I posted about this, so I wasn’t really sure what was right.

I do consider CapFriendly a good source for this kind of stuff, so that should settle it.

It definitely sucks for our current situation and options with Miller, but I think the league’s decision here is more fitting with the “spirit” of the CBA, so it makes sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What role does Garland play on a contender? There are reasons why we are trying to dumperoo him. He’s small, and slow. He doesn’t drive a line. He can’t push play through the neutral zone. He’s to small and slow for PK. He’s too small, and can’t shoot well enough for the PP.  He’s not rough and tumble enough and is paid too much for a checking role. Plus, he’s just not good in that role. 

Great spins though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1