The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Colorado traded a top prospect and a 2nd for Arturri Lehkonen last year.  They also traded a second for Josh Manson and 2 second rounders for Devon Toews

The Lightning traded a good prospect in Josepg and a 4th for Nick Paul.  They also traded two first round picks for Hagel, not tomention Drouin for Sergachev

You use your high picks to draft your core guys, no question, then you can use other picks to pick up proven players, rather than hoping for lottery tickets to hit.

Not when they were Rebuilding!  They kept their picks in fact Newhook and Byram were key pieces to winning last years cup.  They did it the right way.  AFTER they’ve accumulated talent they made their trades.  

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

I’m curious if there really is another deal. Will give us more or a picture 

Pretty sure we blew our wad.   Hope so for us and the teams sake.   Guess that's where Myers money is going. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I actually think Hughes biggest weakness is physicality. Defensively he's fine. He is in the right spots, he hustles, works his tail off. He's just small and kinda weak. But that's fair, you're right. I just read it like you were saying he's trash. Generally the worse you are defensively. The less dzone starts you get. He starts in the dzone more often than the ozone. He's not shutdown by any means. But he's solid. Sadly he might be our best d-man defensively with Schenner gone.

Hronek is definitely not trash. I guess we will find out if this trade works or not. Obviously I want him to do really well here, especially with what we gave up. Regardless of what I think of the trade rn.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Steven Stamkos said:

So why are we trading picks when we don’t even have our core set up? All of these teams were at a point where the can sacrifice draft capital because the team was built to go deep into the playoffs. Keep your picks for when you actually have a team built then go for it. 

I'd say a core of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Podz is pretty nice wouldn't you?  Not to mention a top pick in this draft and probably Lekkerimaki as well.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

Not when they were Rebuilding!  They kept their picks in fact Newhook and Byram were key pieces to winning last years cup.  They did it the right way.  AFTER they’ve accumulated talent they made their trades.  

and the Canucks didn't trade away their high pick, did they?

Hey look, we had a good run.  A proper rebuild was never going to happen under FA's regime.  Guy has absolutely no patience.

At least they didn't use the first to dump salary like I thought they would, I will give em that.  Great job management!

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Building from the draft is one of the biggest myths in the league.

Yzerman is doing pretty well at it. 

Kasper, Edvinsson, Buium, Cossa, Raymond, Wallinder, Seider, Tuomisto, Soderblom, Zadina,Veleno, Bergren, Regula, McIaasic, Rasmussen

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd say a core of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Podz is pretty nice wouldn't you?  Not to mention a top pick in this draft and probably Lekkerimaki as well.  

You edit that right now and include Kuz.

3 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Not everyone has the luxury of multiple top 3 picks within such a short time span.  It's easy to say "build through the draft", but outliers like LA and Boston can happen.

Col - MacKinnon, Landeskog

TB - Stamkos, Hedman

Chi - Kane, Toews

Pits - Crosby, Malkin

Pettersson and Hughes were both top 10 picks and we have another coming up, no? Oh and another top 10 pick traded for OEL and Garland. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

and the Canucks didn't trade away their high pick, did they?

You do t get it.  Short term, immediate gratification, and ZERO long term vision.
not you the Canucks.  And a 1st rounder in this draft in particular is not like trading away Lekkerimaki, the talent in this draft is on another level.   Why couldn’t we have traded Lekkerimaki to the Wings? 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 2

Don't know if anybody has said this yet, as there's 68 pages to go through.  Why do this trade now is my question.  I would rather not pay TDL prices for a RHD.  This couldn't be done before the draft?  I'm sure the price would've been lower than comparing deadline prices.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Okay. Now I will reiterate, what happens if the Islanders keep their pick this year and next season that is third overall?

Bro, if grandma had balls she would be grandpa. And what if they get their shit together this season and manage to go deep in the playoffs?

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Yzerman is doing pretty well at it. 

Kasper, Edvinsson, Buium, Cossa, Raymond, Wallinder, Seider, Tuomisto, Soderblom, Zadina,Veleno, Bergren, Regula, McIaasic

Stawns meant the Canucks.  Building from the draft for the Canucks is the biggest myth in the league... and that statement is true... cause no one ever saw it.

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Hronek is definitely not trash. I guess we will find out if this trade works or not. Obviously I want him to do really well here, especially with what we gave up. Regardless of what I think of the trade rn.

Not anytime soon, arm in a sling? Not good. Could be needing an procedure, or a wonky shoulder which would be worse.

Great, get a guy made of glass now. It seems GM's are scared of making draft picks unless they have a bushel basket of them or in a country that only see's the number and not the player.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

What has Podz done since being drafted? Wouldn’t call him a core piece. I’m not sure if you’ve been following Lekkerimami this year or not but that’s a tough take right now too. 

• Like 1