The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Here are the UFA options for RHD. Myers at $6M cap (and $1M salary) for one year, looks like a top 5 option 

image.thumb.png.0c49aecec052159a4539ee6756424181.png

Well he's an actual NHL defencemen, so ya, he would be last on the list of throwaways for me.

Besides, next year, when we are sellers again (and hopefully for real) he might fetch something at the trade deadline. If you retain the salary that would already be on your cap, and his actual cost is next to nothing, you might actually get picks for him at that time.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No team would ever want to take on OEL's contract right now even if offered 9OA.

ENTIRELY different situation with Loui.  (one year left & dealt after his bonus payment which meant Yotes were only on the hook for $3 million in cash for a 6 million cap hit - so they could hit the cap floor without an issue).  OEL's contract has FOUR seasons left after this one.  With a WHOPPING $10.5 million cash salary next season (goes down to EIGHT million cash the next season; and falls after that).  

I'm pretty sure Chicago, Anaheim and Arizona would take OEL and his full contract for the 9OA pick.  However, we already traded a 9OA pick to get him.  Imagine trading TWO 9OA picks to get him and then to trade him again.  Pure insanity...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are trading OEL back to Arizona and want Crouse back in return, say goodbye to our 2023 1st round pick.  Do we really want to trade that pick for another winger?  IF we trade that pick (if it falls to 8-9 OA), I am assuming we would trade it for more help on defence.

I wouldn't be looking at actually trying to acquire an asset back in any OEL trade.  Simply getting that cap space off the books with as little retention as possible is already a huge win...

Well if we plan on shipping out Boeser and potentially have Beauv price himself out of here yeah. 

4.3M cap for 4 years is a pretty good deal. Probably have cap to spare for defensive hep especially in combination with moving Boeser. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MeanSeanBean said:

No. The Canucks trading yet another 1st round pick for a quick fix would be near unforgivable, in my opinion. That would be a Benningly short sighted moved. No other bottom feeding team (minus the Sens) have been trading 1st and 2nd round picks like baseball cards over the course of their 're-whatever'. That being said, we have even traded more then the Sens. But they had internal cap restrictions for years and more recently they have been trending up while have been stagnating at the bottom.

Fair enough. I’m hoping we keep and use our first, and add 2-3 picks at the draft.

Last off-season, JRPA brought us Mik and Kuz, and they made the cap work to the dollar. That gives me confidence they’ll do well this off-season, starting with 1-2 college or Euro free agents.

After looking at the UFA class for RHD, I think we’ll have a few bidders on Myers, even if we have to retain a mil, I could see us getting a 3rd for him. 

Replacing Myers with an ELC would create $4-5M in immediate cap space. We could also sell high on Beau for another 2nd. 

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That would mean a RHD potentially of higher calibre than Hronek... also in the right age range, and also showing an established career in the NHL already.

Yes, a 2D.  Hronek is a 3D.  Not sure who would be available.  But if a 2D is available in the 23-25 age range I think the Canucks 2023 1st is definitely in play as long as it's not in the top 4 picks...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are trading OEL back to Arizona and want Crouse back in return, say goodbye to our 2023 1st round pick.  Do we really want to trade that pick for another winger?  IF we trade that pick (if it falls to 8-9 OA), I am assuming we would trade it for more help on defence.

I wouldn't be looking at actually trying to acquire an asset back in any OEL trade.  Simply getting that cap space off the books with as little retention as possible is already a huge win...

Keep OEL in the pressbox as a reminder of why not to do that for all parties involved.

Keep Myers cuz it's only one season, he's not completely useless, and we might actually get something for him next trade deadline. And he's a RD.

Trade Boeser or Garland for what you can get I guess. They don't have any NTC to worry about and you might get something for them. Plus forwards we actually have a BIT of depth so we can afford it.

But ya, whatever we get at the end, when people do the whole what's changed analysis where we basically are net down one second pick and up one fourth, well, were not done. At least one more player has to leave the team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm pretty sure Chicago, Anaheim and Arizona would take OEL and his full contract for the 9OA pick.  However, we already traded a 9OA pick to get him.  Imagine trading TWO 9OA picks to get him and then to trade him again.  Pure insanity...

If the Canucks trade their remaining pick for more rebuild insanity I might join the jersey on the ice club.

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I envision a top 4 LHD from UFA (Gavrikov or Graves).  Then either Bear or Schenn with Hughes, and Burroughs on the 3rd pair.

Hughes-Schenn or Bear

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL-Burroughs

The fact OEL would only be playing 15min a night would be a huge positive already.  He'd probably excel with not having to face the other team's elite forwards night in and night out.

This is a pretty realistic prediction, but I think we’ll land Malinski or Livingstone, so swap them with Burroughs

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No team would ever want to take on OEL's contract right now even if offered 9OA.

ENTIRELY different situation with Loui.  (one year left & dealt after his bonus payment which meant Yotes were only on the hook for $3 million in cash for a 6 million cap hit - so they could hit the cap floor without an issue).  OEL's contract has FOUR seasons left after this one.  With a WHOPPING $10.5 million cash salary next season (goes down to EIGHT million cash the next season; and falls after that).  

Not sure if you meant to quote me, but I wasn’t talking about OEL

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, a 2D.  Hronek is a 3D.  Not sure who would be available.  But if a 2D is available in the 23-25 age range I think the Canucks 2023 1st is definitely in play as long as it's not in the top 4 picks...

Are you saying Hronek is a 3rd pairing RHD??  Or are you saying he's a #3 type D?

I don't know of many, if any, 23 to 25 year old top pairing defencemen that would be available.  Especially a RHD lol

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Still won't know until later on if either Mantha or Hronek were "sold high". Really depends on how the rest of their careers go.

Even if it turns out to not be selling high though, it doesn't mean Yzerman wasn't smart in making those trades. We'll find out over time the results really. Maybe Allvin looks good in the end. Maybe both GMs look good in the end. Maybe both GMs regret everything about this trade later on. Who really knows at this point? lol

Ofcourse, no one can predict the future cause it can also go the other way: Schmidt or OEL - lol.  Anyways, I would go with Yzermans' instinct, on this one and good try trying to cover for Allvins' shortsighted gamble.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

24 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ofcourse, no one can predict the future cause it can also go the other way: Schmidt or OEL - lol.  Anyways, I would go with Yzermans' instinct, on this one and good try trying to cover for Allvins' shortsighted gamble.  

Wait. Are you saying I'm trying to cover for Allvin? Even after my saying it could flop in his face and we just don't know? So is is basically anyone who posts anything against you is sucking up to Allvin? Is that it?

I was just making a point of we don't know if Yzerman nor if Allvin won this trade yet. Could even be both. Could even be a lose lose. We don't know if Yzerman sold high with Hronek. It's that simple. Doesn't mean I'm trying to cover anything up.

Edited by The Lock

27 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Let's trade away all our 1sts this year:

Hughes - Schneider

Gavrikov - Hronek

Wolanin/Breezer - Burroughs/Juulsen

lol as crazy as that sounds, our 1st for Schneider isn't totally unfathomable.  I mean, if we picked a RHD with that 1st, wouldn't Schneider be what we would hope for?  He's 21 years old and clearly ready for NHL calibre hockey.  Would lock down the top pair next to Hughes for years to come.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

lol as crazy as that sounds, our 1st for Schneider isn't totally unfathomable.  I mean, if we picked a RHD with that 1st, wouldn't Schneider be what we would hope for?  He's 21 years old and clearly ready for NHL calibre hockey.  Would lock down the top pair next to Hughes for years to come.

Fits the plan, and I could see both sides saying yes. 

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Are you saying Hronek is a 3rd pairing RHD??  Or are you saying he's a #3 type D?

I don't know of many, if any, 23 to 25 year old top pairing defencemen that would be available.  Especially a RHD lol

He's a #3 D.  Yeah, I don't really know of many either.  Which means we probably keep the pick.  I think we go lower cost and try and pick up an Andrew Peeke or even a Scott Mayfield.  Maybe Schenn comes back and fills the void for a year and rotates with Livingstone.  I don't claim to know all of the answers, all I know is that we are in a retool and we are looking to make the playoffs next year.  

The other thing to consider is with Hronek in the lineup it will ease the pressure off of Hughes so he doesn't have to play 30 minutes a night.  Hronek alone will improve this D immensely....

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1