The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They were also able to free up a roster spot and get him off the team. 

But, like I said, Redden was worse than OEL. At least OEL's still serviceable in the NHL

Sorry, but out of all of the possible moves we could do, I HOPE this is not the one. Not yet anyway. I don't want him haunting us until the 2030's. I think it would be one of the biggest mistakes we could make. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I really wish people would come to grips with OEL. He’s not getting bought out and buying him out now is beyond stupid. Just stop it. 

Yeah I don't get it either. It'd literally be a worse move than anything Benning ever did, and that's saying something.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I really wish people would come to grips with OEL. He’s not getting bought out and buying him out now is beyond stupid. Just stop it. 

Noted and saved for future reference.  :)

Edit: could this be someone’s sig in the future?  ;)

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If they do it doesn’t change the fact that doing it is absolutely moronic. They should also be fired on the spot. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you want the rest of the fanbase to ridicule you for having the stupidest sig on the forum, sure. lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I don't get it either. It'd literally be a worse move than anything Benning ever did, and that's saying something.

Isn’t Benning the one who traded for him in the first place?  And gave up a 9th overall pick plus a 2nd round pick to get him?  Plus added Garland to the deal and added another $5 million to the cap on top?  

You think buying out OEL and trying to get out of a massive mistake is worse than the original mistake itself?  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn’t Benning the one who traded for him in the first place?  And gave up a 9th overall pick plus a 2nd round pick to get him?  Plus added Garland to the deal and added another $5 million to the cap on top?  

You think buying out OEL and trying to get out of a massive mistake is worse than the original mistake itself?  

Yes I think this would be worse than that. We don't even get a Garland back in the buyout and we just keep pushing yet more cap down the road and this time without even an asset for that caphit.

I'm even a little alarmed you don't see the problem with this buyout if I'm being honest.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yes I think this would be worse than that. We don't even get a Garland back in the buyout and we just keep pushing yet more cap down the road and this time without even an asset for that caphit.

I'm even a little alarmed you don't see the problem with this if I'm being perfectly honest.

If you actually think that buying out OEL with basically a $2 million cap hit is worse than throwing away a 9th overall pick plus a 2nd round pick plus on top of that having Garland’s $5 million cap hit on the books for another 3 years then I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m a little concerned that you don’t see the problem with that. Like seriously, you should give it some more thought. A 9th overall pick literally just thrown away. And people are pissed that we traded a mid first round pick and a 2nd for a legit 25 year old RHD. 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you actually think that buying out OEL with basically a $2 million cap hit is worse than throwing away a 9th overall pick plus a 2nd round pick plus on top of that having Garland’s $5 million cap hit on the books for another 3 years then I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m a little concerned that you don’t see the problem with that. Like seriously, you should give it some more thought. A 9th overall pick literally just thrown away. And people are pissed that we traded a mid first round pick and a 2nd for a legit 25 year old RHD. 

First of all it's $2.5mil until 2031. Second of all, Garland's tradable. I've already given it a lot of thought which is what led me to my stance in the 1st place. You mentioning Garland suddenly is nothing more than putting words in my mouth as I DON'T think we'd keep Garland that long. He's the more likely candidate to be gone, likely through trade, compared with OEL. Either Garland or Boeser or someone else. Trading players are far better options than just buying them out. Heck, even paying another team to take him off the books would be better.

So, yes. I have thought this through enough to see how stupid of an idea it is to buyout OEL. The number of options, even poor ones, that would still be better than this are numerous.

I'm done with this conversation anyway. Have a good evening.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

No, it saves 9.6 million in cap.

Wrong.  It's Aquilini's money.  Not cap.  I'm not gonna get into explaining it right now, but you can see the numbers on capfriendly.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

A 50+ point RHD who averages over 22 minutes a game and a 4th round pick for a 2nd?

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Not just my opinion and those stats are with the Redwings, let's see if he clicks - remember Schmidt ?  What happened to the 1st round pick that also went to the Redwings ? 

I was getting these types of response from posters like you when OEL was just acquired or when Myers was signed - so nothing new.  Lol lolBlack Man Comedy GIF by Neesin

Making up stats, as well ?  Cause I don't see a 50+ point season, in the NHL.  Too funny !

Screenshot_20230308-215702_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not just my opinion and those stats are with the Redwings, let's see if he clicks - remember Schmidt ?  What happened to the 1st round pick that also went to the Redwings ? 

I was getting these types of response from posters like you when OEL was just acquired or when Myers was signed - so nothing new.  Lol lolBlack Man Comedy GIF by Neesin

Making up stats, as well ?  Cause I don't see a 50+ point season, in the NHL.  Too funny !

Screenshot_20230308-215702_DuckDuckGo.jpg

On pace for 51 points in 82 games this season. He’s not going to come here and forget to put up points. 

Whether or not he’s a fit will remain to be seen for now. 

What happened to the 1st round pick that also went to the Redwings ? 

I was responding to your post. And I quote...

" I REALLY hope Hronek becomes a solid 2nd pairing D, even after he signs his retirement deal.  But I would still argue it was an overpayment; perhaps, if the 1st round pick wasn't included, the trade would not had garnered too much criticism."

So on one hand you say it wouldn't garner criticism if it didn't include the 1st round pick. But then when I point out how ridiculously lopsided that trade would be you ask what happened to the 1st round pick?

Hronek has 38 points in 60 games this season. That's a .63 point percentage, good for 52 points over 82 games.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

I was responding to your post. And I quote...

" I REALLY hope Hronek becomes a solid 2nd pairing D, even after he signs his retirement deal.  But I would still argue it was an overpayment; perhaps, if the 1st round pick wasn't included, the trade would not had garnered too much criticism."

So on one hand you say it wouldn't garner criticism if it didn't include the 1st round pick. But then when I point out how ridiculously lopsided that trade would be you ask what happened to the 1st round pick?

Hronek has 38 points in 60 games this season. That's a .63 point percentage, good for 52 points over 82 games.

It is an overpayment. It should've been either a 1st rounder or a 2nd, but not both.

• Wat 5