The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Hronek | #17 | D

-AJ-

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Frankly I was hoping for an upgrade rather than just a body on D. Seems like more of the same and maybe similar to OEL, expectations he will improve. He's currently injured so no one seems to know when he will play

I disagree, by the WAR metric he's a top Dman in the league. I would comfortably call him a #2/3 with the potential to improve to a 1B kind of guy. 

He is our Honk now. Long live the mighty Honk.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I disagree, by the WAR metric he's a top Dman in the league. I would comfortably call him a #2/3 with the potential to improve to a 1B kind of guy. 

That's good I hope youre right. He's not a player that consistently mentioned ie in the eyes of others he's nothing special.The best we can hope for is he's a diamond in the rough. I can't sayin the few games I've watched of Detroit he never caught my eye

1 hour ago, AngryElf said:

Agreed. He was the #2 in Detroit and I think he's a solid #2/3 on almost any team in the league except the best D-cores.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. He was the #2 in Detroit and I think he's a solid #2/3 on almost any team in the league except the best D-cores.

He's better defensively than Chychrun is with a harder shot, but older and has less offensive instinct. I think these two deals will be very interesting to watch given how close they were in value. 

• Like 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Filip Hronek | #17 | D
22 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Frankly I was hoping for an upgrade rather than just a body on D. Seems like more of the same and maybe similar to OEL, expectations he will improve. He's currently injured so no one seems to know when he will play

OEL isn't a bad player if not for his injury or whatever it is that prevents him from skating.

The question is if he can recover his skating, if not, there's no point in rushing back because he isn't helping anybody other than to tank. He might as well retire or go on the LTIR. 

Hronek alone won't solve our problems, this move needs to be backed up by other trades and probably UFA signings. Whether they can achieve this in one off season remains in question.

The management has been very active so I'm cautiously optimistic that they may be able to sort things out in time but not sure if they can considering the difficulty of the tasks that lay ahead of them.

My money is on them being forced into hastily dumping Myers contract with a fairly significant sweetener (my worst fear is that it's Hoglander) and then saying that it was hard to free up cap -- the exact same bull$hit excuse as last season and we go with status quo plus Hronek.

That would be a massive fail because one, we will suck again but not suck enough to get a top 5 or even a top 10 pick and two, we have given up on relatively high two draft picks just for a mediocre season. Just like this one.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and my worst fear doesn't get realized. I'm rooting for Allvin.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, jyu said:

OEL isn't a bad player if not for his injury or whatever it is that prevents him from skating.

The question is if he can recover his skating, if not, there's no point in rushing back because he isn't helping anybody other than to tank. He might as well retire or go on the LTIR. 

Hronek alone won't solve our problems, this move needs to be backed up by other trades and probably UFA signings. Whether they can achieve this in one off season remains in question.

The management has been very active so I'm cautiously optimistic that they may be able to sort things out in time but not sure if they can considering the difficulty of the tasks that lay ahead of them.

My money is on them being forced into hastily dumping Myers contract with a fairly significant sweetener (my worst fear is that it's Hoglander) and then saying that it was hard to free up cap -- the exact same bull$hit excuse as last season and we go with status quo plus Hronek.

That would be a massive fail because one, we will suck again but not suck enough to get a top 5 or even a top 10 pick and two, we have given up on relatively high two draft picks just for a mediocre season. Just like this one.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and my worst fear doesn't get realized. I'm rooting for Allvin.

I'd happily give up Hoglander or Rathbone to move Myers. I don't really see either being longterm Canucks.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I'd happily give up Hoglander or Rathbone to move Myers. I don't really see either being longterm Canucks.

Rathnone yes but in draft plus six season, he won’t have much value. 

Hogs has so much potential. We might not be able to re-sign Beau for cap reasons and a player like Hog on a cheaper contract will be needed. He will be ready by then. 

31 minutes ago, jyu said:

Rathnone yes but in draft plus six season, he won’t have much value. 

Hogs has so much potential. We might not be able to re-sign Beau for cap reasons and a player like Hog on a cheaper contract will be needed. He will be ready by then. 

The problem is Hogs is waiver eligible next season (as is Rathbone). Is Hogs good enough to make the team as a regular? Questionable. Bad enough to clear waivers? Unlikely.

Typically if management isn't confident a player becoming waiver elligible will make the team they move them rather than risk losing them for nothing. That's why we moved Grabner and Florida lost him for nothing. It's why Chicago moved Forsling and Carolina lost him for nothing. Not viewed good enough to make the NHL fulltime, but too good to clear waivers. Late bloomers are not unusual, but blooming for the team that drafted them is because of waiver elligibility.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The problem is Hogs is waiver eligible next season (as is Rathbone). Is Hogs good enough to make the team as a regular? Questionable. Bad enough to clear waivers? Unlikely.

Typically if management isn't confident a player becoming waiver elligible will make the team they move them rather than risk losing them for nothing. That's why we moved Grabner and Florida lost him for nothing. It's why Chicago moved Forsling and Carolina lost him for nothing. Not viewed good enough to make the NHL fulltime, but too good to clear waivers. Late bloomers are not unusual, but blooming for the team that drafted them is because of waiver elligibility.

This makes sense. So if Hoglander is not good enough to make the team, we move him with Myers and that's no big deal.

But we won't know for sure until the training camp, which is September and it's too late by then. I think everyone would agree that cutting Grabner loose too soon was a mistake considering we could have used a player like him in 2011 SCF and 2012 series against LA. I think the same thing will happen with Hoglander if we dump him as sweetener.

Grabner had to crack the roster of President's trophy winning team where everyone knew their roles and perfected it. This team still has jobs up for grabs especially if Boeser and Garland are gone. And Nils has 100+ NHL games already while Grabner had 20 games by the time we cut him loose -- that was a mistake IMO. While I respect AV as a coach, it was part of his job to find a way to infuse youth and create competition to challenge the veteran roster players. But he just never bothered all that much and instead preferred to acquire veterans. 

1 minute ago, jyu said:

This makes sense. So if Hoglander is not good enough to make the team, we move him with Myers and that's no big deal.

But we won't know for sure until the training camp, which is September and it's too late by then. I think everyone would agree that cutting Grabner loose too soon was a mistake considering we could have used a player like him in 2011 SCF and 2012 series against LA. I think the same thing will happen with Hoglander if we dump him as sweetener.

Grabner had to crack the roster of President's trophy winning team where everyone knew their roles and perfected it. This team still has jobs up for grabs especially if Boeser and Garland are gone. And Nils has 100+ NHL games already while Grabner had 20 games by the time we cut him loose -- that was a mistake IMO. While I respect AV as a coach, it was part of his job to find a way to infuse youth and create competition to challenge the veteran roster players. But he just never bothered all that much and instead preferred to acquire veterans. 

You won't get much for him if he looks like he won't make the team in preseason. A team will make a mediocre offer (maybe an ok offer) because they don't have first shot at him on waivers knowing your choice is take it or lose him for nothing. The problem with Hogs is he hasn't been productive enough for top six and not physical or defensive enough for bottom six. The one thing we have is some depth at forward. Kuzmenko, Boeser, Beauvillier, Mikheyev, Garland, Podkolzin. We're not a Presidents trophy team but imo we already have six wingers better than Hogs. Unless he's taken a real leap in the defensive side of his game, or there's other forward movement in the offseason, I doubt he makes the team next fall. Podz has another 53 NHL games (or the 24/25 season) before he becomes waiver elligible.

I'd rather move Myers as early as possible in the summer just in case other deals happen along. Personally I'd prefer Rathbone as an add in to move Myers if it's needed. But if a team wants Hoglander instead I'm fine with that. 

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Myers only has 1 year left. i wouldn't give up additional assets to dump that. Less we repeat the Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter dump

Nowhere did I suggest taking a big contract back in moving Myers. But if a rebuilding team is willing to take Myers plus a waiver elligible young player for wid draft pick I'll happily take it to shed his 6m cap hit. The one year cap hit doesn't matter much to a rebuilding team and they get a pretty decent veteran only costing them 1m actual money. Adding a waiver elligible young guy unlikely to make our team to make it happen is 100% worth it.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Nowhere did I suggest taking a big contract back in moving Myers. But if a rebuilding team is willing to take Myers plus a waiver elligible young player for wid draft pick I'll happily take it to shed his 6m cap hit. The one year cap hit doesn't matter much to a rebuilding team and they get a pretty decent veteran only costing them 1m actual money. Adding a waiver elligible young guy unlikely to make our team to make it happen is 100% worth it.

I was more comparing it to how we added a second round pick as well (not to mention the 9th overall)  to dump those contracts

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You won't get much for him if he looks like he won't make the team in preseason. A team will make a mediocre offer (maybe an ok offer) because they don't have first shot at him on waivers knowing your choice is take it or lose him for nothing. The problem with Hogs is he hasn't been productive enough for top six and not physical or defensive enough for bottom six. The one thing we have is some depth at forward. Kuzmenko, Boeser, Beauvillier, Mikheyev, Garland, Podkolzin. We're not a Presidents trophy team but imo we already have six wingers better than Hogs. Unless he's taken a real leap in the defensive side of his game, or there's other forward movement in the offseason, I doubt he makes the team next fall. Podz has another 53 NHL games (or the 24/25 season) before he becomes waiver elligible.

I'd rather move Myers as early as possible in the summer just in case other deals happen along. Personally I'd prefer Rathbone as an add in to move Myers if it's needed. But if a team wants Hoglander instead I'm fine with that. 

Yes totally reasonable. If it's Myers + Rathbone , yes, it's time to let Rathbone earn a chance elsewhere.

I'd say though that from cap perspective and in a retool, two of the players you listed, Boeser and Garland should be traded ahead of Hoglander and that Hoglander should be given a chance. Neither of them bring good defensive play and while they are putting up decent points, their overall effect on the scoresheet is negative in terms of GF/60 vs GA/60 -- although Garland is about par and you can claim that Garland is earning his money.

Garland has positive value and Boeser with cap retention might be tradeable.

If it comes down to trading Garland for say a 2nd rounder vs trading Myers + Hoglander for 5th or lower, I'd go with Garland for 2nd to get a breathing room then seek out Myers trade from a better spot without giving up Hoglander.

But I agree that I'd seek out Myers trade as early as possible so that we can make other moves come draft and free agency. If we fail to do so, we will "run out of time" again and not be able to upgrade the roster in any meaningful manner.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Sure, we fans would like to see such moves, but will our owner allow it?  I’m not too sure our owner will want to pay Myers a five mil bonus and then have him play for another team. Same as buying out OEL. Our owner might not have the desire to d9 that. 

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I was more comparing it to how we added a second round pick as well (not to mention the 9th overall)  to dump those contracts

Very different circumstances. I'm talking about adding a young guy that will be waiver elligible, and unlikely to make our team, to get a draft pick back instead. Shed the cap hit, a waiver elligible player, and get a pick back. Does that seem remotely like that Arizona deal?