The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Curtis Lazar to Devils for 2024 4th-round pick

23 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Some fans just want playoffs not a cup. They are willing to take shortcuts like ownership. How has that worked out for those people so far?

Nothing wrong with that and a noble goal but we haven't been able to even do that for years.   I think it's beyond a shadow of a doubt that the short-cut "win-now - at all cost" attempts forced by Aqua-lini (to keep seats warm + $) have resulted in bad trades, terrible contracts and overall failure and fan disappointment - and this didn't start yeserday. 

it's been going on for years and in a recent poll on here (CDC) 79.38% of fans clearly voted to tank and rebuild this team because this same group of players have not been able to accomplish anything for years with this assembly of incompatible players.   

So while being part of the remaining 20.62% minority of fans is not a crime in itself, it simply shows some fans have lower expectations and a shorter patience level than others.  All the power to them but the majority of fans are "SICK & TIRED" with the status-quo for over a decade and want to see a cup here before they're dead - not win 1 playoff series every Twelve years!!!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Nothing wrong with that and a noble goal but we haven't been able to even do that for years.   I think it's beyond a shadow of a doubt that the short-cut "win-now - at all cost" attempts forced by Aqua-lini (to keep seats warm + $) have resulted in bad trades, terrible contracts and overall failure and fan disappointment - and this didn't start yeserday. 

it's been going on for years and in a recent poll on here (CDC) 79.38% of fans clearly voted to tank and rebuild this team because this same group of players have not been able to accomplish anything for years with this assembly of incompatible players.   

So while being part of the remaining 20.62% minority of fans is not a crime in itself, it simply shows some fans have lower expectations and a shorter patience level than others.  All the power to them but the majority of fans are "SICK & TIRED" with the status-quo for over a decade and want to see a cup here before they're dead.

Honestly what kind of person ignores a majority of the fanbase and goes with the minority? I will tell. A GREEDY ONE. He's a big reason I fight to support the organization. I have to detach him from the team because what he does feels greasy.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 2

Sometimes it is hard to read our fan base.  First we hang on to bottom 6 guys too long and get nothing for them. Then its we don't have enough draft picks.  Now we are upset we traded a 4th line plug for a 4th round pick.  What is going to make everyone happy?  I am starting to think it is impossible to make everyone happy and I've always thought of myself as an optimist.  If the deal that is made that involves a draft pick, so what.  As long as its a fair deal and it helps the team, it has to be considered.  I liked the Hronik deal.  Yes we may have over paid a bit but it wasn't astronomical and we saved on the years of development and get a player that fits well with our core.  That's a win in my mind. B)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

Sometimes it is hard to read our fan base.  First we hang on to bottom 6 guys too long and get nothing for them. Then its we don't have enough draft picks.  Now we are upset we traded a 4th line plug for a 4th round pick.  What is going to make everyone happy?  I am starting to think it is impossible to make everyone happy and I've always thought of myself as an optimist.  If the deal that is made that involves a draft pick, so what.  As long as its a fair deal and it helps the team, it has to be considered.  I liked the Hronik deal.  Yes we may have over paid a bit but it wasn't astronomical and we saved on the years of development and get a player that fits well with our core.  That's a win in my mind. B)

A Stanley Cup at some point might help. 53 years and counting. Tampa Bay has had three since 1992. Nuff said.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Honestly what kind of person ignores a majority of the fanbase and goes with the minority? I will tell. A GREEDY ONE.

And that could be a real problem.

ppl generally buy less tickets and merchandise, sponsors are less likely to invest and desirable players are less likely to sign with you when you’re publicly rebuilding. Aquas are making a tidy profit off their club either way, but a lot more when this team presents itself as wanting to be competitive. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

How so?! We still hang on to the puck too long and make bad decisions with it, and then typically lose it. 

Until Tocchet get the team to use the path of least resistance I have next to zero good to say about him. 

This has been a problem for years now, no quick short passes to guys who are open, we hang onto it to long, the other team reads it easily and we turn it over, A LOT! 

Bruce had it right when he first arrived, he kept it simple and we played that version well and strung wins together and we almost made the playoffs but fell short..

That's what I mean, until we get back to that style until we're all on the same page, it's going to be more of the same.

Is that Tocchet or a player mindset/programming that requires time to tweak?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Some fans just want playoffs not a cup. They are willing to take shortcuts like ownership. How has that worked out for those people so far?

Last time we had a shot at the cup we made the playoffs for the two previous years and gained the experience needed to go further.  It's a threshold every contender has to pass through.  If we did tear it all down and every pick miraculously worked out, we'd be looking for veterans to guide the team through that stage once it got good.  Getting better and making the playoffs aren't opposed to winning the cup but part of the process.  It's all in how you do it.

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trading Lazar for a 4th is a step in that direction :bigblush:

While trading a old 3rd string D-Man (Schenn) for a 3rd and a borderline 4th line /AHL player (Lazar) for a 4th and of course Bo might sound like we're "going in the right direction" ,  that is far from the "MAJOR SURGERY" that both JR and the fans have said is required.     Many are awaiting much more because the way things look now, this team looks only "slightly" different from a week ago!  We still have 4 terrible D-man to dispose of and a raft of terrible contracts to unload - if that's even possible   

So lets wait and see what else happens and if JR was really sincere about the "Major Surgery" thing. It might take until this summer to see what he does in the end to change things up for next season and to be fair to him and before a verdict is possible.

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While trading a old 3rd string D-Man (Schenn) for a 3rd and a borderline 4th line /AHL player (Lazar) for a 4th and of course Bo might sound like we're "going in the right direction" ,  that is far from the "MAJOR SURGERY" that both JR and the fans have said is required.     Many are awaiting much more because the way things look now, this team looks only "slightly" different from a week ago!  We still have 4 terrible D-man to dispose of and a raft of terrible contracts to unload - if that's even possible   

So lets wait and see what else happens and if JR was really sincere about the "Major Surgery" thing. It might take until this summer to see what he does in the end to change things up for next season and to be fair to him and before a verdict is possible.

Agreed. So far, it's Arthroscopic at best.....

• Cheers 1

People talking about winning a cup like they have a solid plan.  Reality check, you don't.  Your plan is no better with your imaginary scouting reports mixed with your imaginary trade scenarios.  Great thing about sports is it gives people a fairy tale world to live in.  While the FO's around the league are faced with the reality.  Not based off of rumors or conjecture.  How many teams really contend for a cup? Maybe 2-4 out of 32.  LOL.  But fans know better. 

You can hate the moves All you want but the way this FO is maneuvering, it's pretty obvious the direction they're going.  You can either hate it, love it or be impartial.  If you hate it, put your money where your mouth is and stop watching or following.  See if it makes a difference.

• Cheers 1

I am fine with this trade - Lazar, although enthusiastic being here as a Canuck, was just not consistent enough - I was surprised by his low point total.  With all the turmoil surrounding the team, I am sure he is pretty excited to go to a new team with some meaningful games down the stretch. 

Not sure if there will be any more big trades with the Canucks today - seems like only players that are UFA, RFA or shorter terms moving now - still a chance a Myers, Boeser but most likely in the summer or the draft. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

People talking about winning a cup like they have a solid plan.  Reality check, you don't.  Your plan is no better with your imaginary scouting reports mixed with your imaginary trade scenarios.  Great thing about sports is it gives people a fairy tale world to live in.  While the FO's around the league are faced with the reality.  Not based off of rumors or conjecture.  How many teams really contend for a cup? Maybe 2-4 out of 32.  LOL.  But fans know better. 

You can hate the moves All you want but the way this FO is maneuvering, it's pretty obvious the direction they're going.  You can either hate it, love it or be impartial.  If you hate it, put your money where your mouth is and stop watching or following.  See if it makes a difference.

How has the plan of retooling worked for this franchise? Oh ya it hasn't. Their plan of retooling hasn't, most likely won't work because its proven it hasn't. Their is evidence. I am not have a solid plan but I know one they should move away from. Stop the retool. It's been way too many years of trying and I am surprised people are still for it. For them, there hasn't been enough pain, years, and evidence? 

1 minute ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

I am fine with this trade - Lazar, although enthusiastic being here as a Canuck, was just not consistent enough - I was surprised by his low point total.  With all the turmoil surrounding the team, I am sure he is pretty excited to go to a new team with some meaningful games down the stretch. 

Not sure if there will be any more big trades with the Canucks today - seems like only players that are UFA, RFA or shorter terms moving now - still a chance a Myers, Boeser but most likely in the summer or the draft. 

I think Lazar was fine for the role he was brought in to play, but someone was willing to part with a 4th for his so.....

TBH, guys with skillsets like CL are relatively easy to find in the summer....

• Cheers 2