The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

18 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is rather misleading as it values all picks from rounds 1 hrough 7 the same.

According to this theory, if I traded 10 shiny brand new 100 dollar bills for 10 brand new shiny 100 peso bills I would be no worse for the wear

However, even though I have the same amount of bills that have the number 100 on them the reality is I would be about 930 actual dollars poorer.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, billabong said:

Why do you fans whine and complain all the time? 

I grade the Canucks TD as a B 

shed cap space for next year - check

bring in some picks - check 

improve the blueline for next year - check 

traded all valued UFA’s - check 

grease a team as a broker for a young player - check 

the better time to deal boeser, garland or Miller is at the draft 

They're not trading Miller 

57 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Same reason we didn't trade Miller. No one wants him, his fat contract, or his shitty attitude.

If Miller was a free agent there would be a line up of teams having a bidding war and willing to pay him that contract.

Look up what perennial 30 goal scorers make in the NHL.

There is this weird trend to shit on Miller when he's one of our best players and definitely our most passionate.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Protected pick means that we don’t get to use it this ‘deep draft’ year but the following year, which is a gamble. 

Hronek isn’t as much of a gamble however. 

That pick next year could be mint.  Absolute money.  But it's a gamble 

Much like a point producing RHD that generates most of his production in the 1st pp unit as the pp QB being expected to do the same in the 2nd unit after coming back from an injury of unknown severity to his shooting arm on a team with a "history" with players and injured arms hands and shoulders.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

It's actually not inaccurate though.

The Canucks have been listed as TDL losers like 4 or 5 years in a row though and that hurts a bit even if it is only opinion based.  It seems to be a media wide opinion though 

Edited by Warhippy

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The Canucks have been listed as TDL losers like 4 or 5 years in a row though and that hurts a bit even if it is only opinion based.  It seems to be a media wide opinion though 

Oh I think it's very accurate.

7 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

If Miller was a free agent there would be a line up of teams having a bidding war and willing to pay him that contract.

Look up what perennial 30 goal scorers make in the NHL.

There is this weird trend to shit on Miller when he's one of our best players and definitely our most passionate.

Maybe... But it's a different story when you factor in the mountain of money he's owed for the next eternity.

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Oh I think it's very accurate.

I try not to let media opinions get to me.  In this instance though, for the 4th or 5th year if having essentially every analyst claim the team was a TDL loser.  Hurts.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I guess it’s what we view as what the TDL is for. This TDL we used draft capital )got from the Bo trade) to add a 25 year old, right shot, high end #3 D. Whether we traded for Hronek now or in the summer, to me there’s no difference. He’s young, and we need him to turn into a winning team. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

50 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yup... But hey just like our last 2 gms, after JR is done f**king this team up, he'll be shit canned and we'll be left watching the new York Jets of the NHL.

Got to disagree. We needed to reallocate cap from our centres to our D. We moved Bo and turned him into Hronek. That’s smart. Now we have Petey and Miller as our top two centres. After Petey’s contract this summer they will eat 19 mil on the cap. No way could we afford Bo too. So we moved Bo and got Hronek. Now we have two D who will drive our top pairs. Hughes and Hronek eat 12 on the cap. That’s smart building. Still more to do, of course, but we are building a younger, and faster team. 

OEL gets bought out and Myers is traded. Garland has looked good with the new coaches. Boeser needs to get better. 

Sure every management makes mistakes. Should have let Brock walk as a UFA last summer. But otherwise we are doing good at building a balanced lineup. Our best players (sans Miller) are very young and just entering their primes. I see 7-10 years of us building every year to be really good. And that starts next year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I truly think that mgmt is trying to model our team after the Rangers.  Contrary to what some here believe, the Rangers did not go full on rebuild.  In fact some of their most important pieces were acquired through trades.  They have a bonafide number one goaltender in Shesterkin, similar to Demko's age.  Fox is their number one D similar to what we have with Quinn.  Zibinajed is their number one center similar to Petterson but much older.  And Chris Krieder plays the role that Miller brings.  Even though they won the lottery twice, Laffy and Kaako are only playing secondary roles on the team.  I'm not counting Tarasenko or Kane because they were acquired as rentals for the playoffs.  The big difference is though that we have the twin anchors on D weighing us down.  Myers will be gone for sure even if we have to give a small sweetner.  Boeser also.  OEL we may have to eat.  Maybe he goes on LTIR or maybe he retires.  Maybe he plays better under a better structured team.  Buying out OEL should only be as a last resort.  

image.thumb.png.95bbcbb5f661d8709acb6a99de96fd60.png

Edited by coho8888
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess it’s what we view as what the TDL is for. This TDL we used draft capital )got from the Bo trade) to add a 25 year old, right shot, high end #3 D. Whether we traded for Hronek now or in the summer, to me there’s no difference. He’s young, and we need him to turn into a winning team. 

Two counterpoints.

1. The cost to acquire Hronek would have been much lower in the summer when picks have their most value. 

2. There is zero reason the Canucks should need or want to become a winning team before next season. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Two counterpoints.

1. The cost to acquire Hronek would have been much lower in the summer when picks have their most value. 

2. There is zero reason the Canucks should need or want to become a winning team before next season. 

is that you F.A?

8 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I truly think that mgmt is trying to model our team after the Rangers.  Contrary to what some here believe, the Rangers did not go full on rebuild.  In fact some of their most important pieces were acquired through trades.  They have a bonafide number one goaltender in Shesterkin, similar to Demko's age.  Fox is their number one D similar to what we have with Quinn.  Zibinajed is their number one center similar to Petterson but much older.  And Chris Krieder plays the role that Miller brings.  Even though they won the lottery twice, Laffy and Kaako are only playing secondary roles on the team.  I'm not counting Tarasenko or Kane because they were acquired as rentals for the playoffs.  The big difference is though that we have the twin anchors on D weighing us down.  Myers will be gone for sure even if we have to give a small sweetner.  Boeser also.  OEL we may have to eat.  Maybe he goes on LTIR or maybe he retires.  Maybe he plays better under a better structured team.  Buying out OEL should only be as a last resort.  

image.thumb.png.95bbcbb5f661d8709acb6a99de96fd60.png

The rangers also have the inherent advantage of every player wanting to play there.