The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

I have to say, I think overall we had a great deadline and addressed many needs for next year. I think Allvin has work to do by shedding salary but overall I do think we can be a playoff group next year. I think Kravtsov and Hronek and Raty and Beauvillier are all really good additions and I think we strengthened our depth and our core. 

That said, I find Allvin to be such a difficult person to like. His demeanor in interviews bothers me and even though every GM is tight lipped with media, I just find him to be a bit more unbearable to listen to than most. I don’t know if I fully trust him to be honest but hopefully we have a great offseason plan and turn things around. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

What am I making up?

That fans are buying the positive spin management is putting on our team? Seems pretty obvious from a lot of comments.

Just because you say fans are buying the spin doesn't mean you're right. It just means you said that. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We can gauge/determine it by their actions. They're doing a re-tool and trading away premium assets at the TDL while being a bottom 5 team in the league. This shows that we're continuing the 12-year re-tool that we've been on since the SCF. Sure, we'll be a competitive team as early as next year, if Demko stays healthy, but actions have so far shown that that's where we'll stay: competitive but not contending. 

Opinions are one thing, but opinionated insults are another. 

What about if I opinionated on an opinionated insult?  Am I allowed to do that?  :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

No doubt given JB’s record and fanbase reaction to it that PA/mgmt’s approach is going to be highly highly skeptical.  And they wont get nearly as long as a leash.  If they are truly a good mgmt group, fixing problems/and getting results sooner than later (like next season lol) will be paramount.  Not a lot of patience and that’s understandable 

I think a lot of fans and media are transferring their disappointment and skeptism to the new management and not just since the failure since 2012 for the entire 50+ yrs.  I mean if the owner was the issue, who was complaining about AQ in 2009-2012 yrs? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Just because you say fans are buying the spin doesn't mean you're right. It just means you said that. 

I’m not saying it though. :lol:

I don’t see how it’s not buying the spin. Read some of the comments.

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

People seem to think we have no prospects

(my opinions)

A Level (75/25 will be nhl regulars)

Raty(20)

Hoglander(22)

Podkolzin(22)

Kravtsov(23)

Lekkerimaki(18)

Johansson(22)

Silovs(21)

B (50/50 chance)

Johansson(22)

Petersson(dman)(19)

Bloom(19)

McDonough(23)

Klimovich(20)

C (25/75 chance)

Jurmo(20)

Truscott(20)

Rathbone(23)

Karlsson(23)

Kudryavtsev(19)

Forsell (19)

Clearly these are my opinions, but I think, based on current knowledge, we have a fairly strong prospect pool and we have a top 10 pick this year to add to it and possibly Jake Livingstone.  We still need to improve our Defensive pool, but adding Johansson was a sneaky good move.  He and DPetey might make the pool look pretty good over the next couple of years.

With EP, Hughes, Hronek, Demko, Kuz, Miller, Boes, we are not as far off as some want to think.  

FYI you have Johansson on both your A and B list. 

but I agree, I think we are deep and have a good group of prospects and some with very strong potential. I like the direction our roster is going and I think we will add some strong prospects in college and euro plus whoever we draft. It’s definitely not as bad as the fans are making it seem. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We can gauge/determine it by their actions. They're doing a re-tool and trading away premium assets at the TDL while being a bottom 5 team in the league. This shows that we're continuing the 12-year re-tool that we've been on since the SCF. Sure, we'll be a competitive team as early as next year, if Demko stays healthy, but actions have so far shown that that's where we'll stay: competitive but not contending. 

Opinions are one thing, but opinionated insults are another. 

To quote my father in law, "Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one, and they all stink."

I replied, "But some smell less stinker than others."   I know this from being a physician. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The remainder of the work on the defense will be solved via free agency it seems. Severson and Graves will cost a lot in FA, but getting those two would help move things along considerably. 

Can’t afford them without a big buyout and even then we need to plan for Petey’s big extension after next season.

We won’t have much more cap to do anything. Hoping for some good college free agents.

• Cheers 1

SO, one big circled date on the calendar has passed. What are the top few moves from our CDC GMs for the betterment of this franchise between now and next season that are at least partially realistic/expected (ie no trading OEL or landing Bedard type miracles)?

Obvious things we'd probably all like to see: 

Lose aplenty, draft an elite C prospect with our 2023 1st

Sign RD College FA Jake Livingstone

Trade Myers 50% retained after his July 1 bonus

Things I think we're likely to see:

JT Miller remains a Canuck

Pearson is moved or bought out, and no, I haven't checked if a buyout is logical

Dermott not resigned

RD Filip Johansson makes the 23-man starting roster

OEL remains a Canuck (I don't want that buyout but I'd desperately like to see him playing 3 LD minutes / role)

Things I'd really like to see:

Garland traded/packaged for a YOUNG, developing D (not an older Marcus Pettersson or equivalent win-now option) or pick(s) after having a strong finish to the year playing top 6 under Tocchet.

Bear re-signed if the cap hit matches a 3 RD price.

A Boeser trade in off-season so he gets a fresh start OR one last chance for a calm, healing off-season to revive his game, making him a logical 2024 TDL trade while NOT depressed in value.

No premium FA signings

2023-24 Opening Night Lineup

Kuzmenko - EP - Beauvilier

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Kravtsov - Raty - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Aman - Studnicka/Joshua

L. Karlsson

Hughes - Livingstone

XXXX (Garland D?) - Hronek

OEL - Bear

XXXX - Johansson

Demko

Cheap backup (leave Silovs in Abby 1 more year)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

If I ultimately want to achieve a sub 10 second quarter mile car but end up getting a 11 second car, my intentions dont change despite the lack of execution. I might be happy with the 11 second car for now, but you cant speak for me and say that’s all I really want in the end.  This is logic.  

I'd like to see them move Boeser & Myers. They are also going to need a good 3C, and maybe a bottom pair D or 2. 

Beauvillier - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Mikheyev - Miller - Garland

Kravtsov - ???? - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - ???? 

Hughes - Bear/Hronek

OEL - Hronek/Bear

??? - ???

In limbo; Dermott, Poolman, Burroughs, Studnicka, Dries

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I’m not saying it though. :lol:

I don’t see how it’s not buying the spin. Read some of the comments.

Well, I'm not buying any positive spin. That doesn't factor into anything for me.

You're admitting you don't see how. So, nothing left to talk about.

See, I'm respecting the fact that you don't see how. :)

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Just because you said he said that doesn't mean you're right, it just means you said that.