The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

1 minute ago, combover said:

Why not include the 1st and 2nd we paid out?

irrelevant, VAN only had the pick temporarily and then it was gone. Like it never existed. 

Basically:

Bo cost NYI Beauvillier and Raty

Hronek cost VAN a 2nd

What 1st? :bigblush:

• Haha 4

Just now, DrJockitch said:

But how many are at C and right D. 1 of each. That is not great and overvalues many of these players. 
‘System is better than it was when the new group took over but still needs a lot of work. 

That's right now. They know the needs. Looking forward to seeing how they fill those gaps. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think the only gripe people have with the Hronek trade is the timing, which I honestly don’t care about. Got an opportunity to acquire a RHD like him and we took it. Would’ve liked to have seen at least one of Boeser/Garland/Myers moved but I think all three will be in the summer.  Overall I’d say a solid C+/B- for what we got relative to what we traded. 

That's right:  lots of people acting as though we were somehow "buyers" at the deadline when really it was more the kind of move that normally happens near the draft or free agency.  The only timing issue here was about the trade deadline being the optimal moment to dump cap.  I'm sure they tried but there isn't much demand for the players we're trying to move.  Big surprise. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

still missing the point/conflating intentions with outcomes but whatever

He straight up said he's trying to build a competitive team, but he did not say he's trying to build a contender. The hockey world uses these two words all the time with their very different connotations, which is why you see graphics of teams being put into different tiers of status. I used both words accordingly.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

We’re a playoff team going forward after this season.

Every team thinks that. 

They have a lot of heavy lighting to do before I’ll believe that. At this point we took a 30+ goal scorer off the roster in Bo and are still gonna need to trade another winger.

They’re gonna need to create at least 10 mil in cap space to add another two top 4 defenders. Planning on Demko saving the day every game is gonna equal more of the same.

17 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

It doesn't tell the whole story, we added Kravtsov, Raty, and Bloom, 3 pretty strong prospects.  I don't get the overvaluing of picks vs actual players on cdc.

I’m suggesting it confirms that this team

has one gear: rush to compete every year and end up spinning their wheels . 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

The negative fans are still gonna find things to complain about whenever we eventually do win the cup :lol:

20-30 years into the retool?

I think they would have a right to complain. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, combover said:

The surgery got botched.

really didn’t achieve anything 

whoop de do we got a rhd that has one year left before he needs a raise and we paid maximum value to get him. 

didn't address the biggest problem, the salary cap in fact they added to the problem. 
I don’t see any improvement for this club next year I feel like they’ll be worse. 

I give them a solid F 

Care to wager that the Canucks get more points next season than this one? Loser has to change their profile pic to the Leafs logo for the season after?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Im sure he’s just saying that to not show his hand but he is absolutely going to need to use at least one buyout.

How can he still believe there’s a market for the players he’s trying to dump?

• Wat 1

24 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I like a lot of what has been done recently.

-Bear for a 5th 

-Beauvillier has been very good with EP And Kuz

-Kravtsov for Lockwwood is a good deal

-Bloom, while getting rid of Stillman is a good move

-3rd and 4th for Lazar and Schenn is good deadline work

-Hronek for a 1st/2nd is a good deal.  Sure, people can debate whether or not the timing is right, but we got the player we need for a fair cost.

My offseason plan would be:

-Trade Myers with retention . This should be doable after his bonus is paid.

-Trade Pearson with retention for minimal return.  DO NOT BUYOUT

-Aggressively target NCAA UFA D: Livingstone, Bengtsson, Hirose, Huard

-Same thing with any potential European FA's

-Bargain shop non qualifiers.  Aman and Johansson were good finds

-Assuming we are in the 6-9 range of the draft, pick Benson, Smith, or Yager

-Do absolutely nothing on July 1.  

-Two main goals after that------Find stay at home LD to pair with Hronek, and #3C who can lead the PK.

Next year won't be great, let some of the young guys develop in Abby, draft a D in a deep D draft, and hope to add some pieces next offseason.

Couple of intriguing European d prospects that could be had:

-Valterri Pulli, 6'5", 21yo, 210lbs, LHD, 3g, 14a in 50gp in the SM-Liiga

-Hardy Haman-Aktell, 24yo, 6'3", 220lbs, RHD, 9g, 24a in 48gp in the SweHL

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1