The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Exciting years going forward

Rate this topic

Timråfan

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

So, a five win streak since I started this thread.

How many more is excited? 

Whatever happens now won't get us to the playoffs. Meanwhile, we were doing the same thing as we are now last season around this time only for to be rather meaningless at the start of this season.

I'll get excited if this happens at the start of next season. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy they're succeeding (while also sighing as we get a lesser draft pick as a result), but I can't translate being happy into being excited at this point.

The unfortunate truth is these games are meaningless at this point aside from draft rankings.

Edited by The Lock

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

Whatever happens now won't get us to the playoffs. Meanwhile, we were doing the same thing as we are now last season around this time only for to be rather meaningless at the start of this season.

I'll get excited if this happens at the start of next season. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy they're succeeding (while also sighing as we get a lesser draft pick as a result), but I can't translate being happy into being excited at this point.

The unfortunate truth is these games are meaningless at this point aside from draft rankings.

You know that damn crow I’m talking about? There always a risk I’ll have to chew on that piece of unimaginable filth of black urrgghhh myself… But I choose to be happy til that time. :towel:

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 9:33 AM, billabong said:

I might be made a fool but this “retool” feels a little different…? 

like when benning “retooled” in 2014 he had a very different team to retool in terms of age, prospect pool, etc…and that was just super dumb and 7 years later we have very little to show for it

retooling around what we have “could” work IF they continue add prospects/picks where they can, no 30 year old big UFA signings and no dead money on the cap 

What about the OEL buyout that's going to last 8 years? :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

You know that damn crow I’m talking about? There always a risk I’ll have to chew on that piece of unimaginable filth of black urrgghhh myself… But I choose to be happy til that time. :towel:

Nothing wrong with being happy and, like I even said in my post, just because I'm not excited doesn't meant I'm not happy. You can be happy while also being cautious. :)

17 hours ago, The Lock said:

The truth is these games aren't meaningless, not to the coach and to the players. Tocchet is setting his expectations and culture from now moving forward and we have about 7 or 8 players playing for jobs next year. 

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The truth is these games aren't meaningless, not to the coach and to the players. Tocchet is setting his expectations and culture from now moving forward and we have about 7 or 8 players playing for jobs next year. 

Maybe that becomes a factor for next season; however, we can't really just ignore the fact that there's an entire summer between now and then. Literally every team is refreshed at the start of the season. There's also likely going to be trades and signings in between now and then so even the makeup of the time might not be the same.

We arguably had the same talking points a year ago about how this season would go. We'd talk about players vying for positions and earn favour from Bourdreau, or how we'd have players with the ability to start the season with Boudreau. Believe me, I'd like to think next season will be different and hopefully it is. We won't know for certain though until next season and I doubt these games now are going to factor much into that.

I'll agree in terms of the players and the coach caring about these games; however, if we're talking in terms of what it means for next season, that's the point where I think they're meaningless.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Maybe that becomes a factor for next season; however, we can't really just ignore the fact that there's an entire summer between now and then. Literally every team is refreshed at the start of the season. There's also likely going to be trades and signings in between now and then so even the makeup of the time might not be the same.

We arguably had the same talking points a year ago about how this season would go. We'd talk about players vying for positions and earn favour from Bourdreau, or how we'd have players with the ability to start the season with Boudreau. Believe me, I'd like to think next season will be different and hopefully it is. We won't know for certain though until next season and I doubt these games now are going to factor much into that.

I'll agree in terms of the players and the coach caring about these games; however, if we're talking in terms of what it means for next season, that's the point where I think they're meaningless.

With Bruce coaching Demko had to steal a lot of our wins. The change we are seeing now in how we play is what needs to carry over to next season. If our owner allows JR to mske the coaching change last summer, like he wanted to, then maybe this year doesn’t go do bad in the first place? 

Just now, Alflives said:

With Bruce coaching Demko had to steal a lot of our wins. The change we are seeing now in how we play is what needs to carry over to next season. If our owner allows JR to mske the coaching change last summer, like he wanted to, then maybe this year doesn’t go do bad in the first place? 

Well, with Boudreau, I think he had more of an effect than just with Demko. You had players like Boeser and Pettersson turning their seasons around under Boudreau, which really sounds familiar with what we're seeing this season with Miller, etc under Tocchet. It's kind of the same story in a way if you think about it. Now, we have Demko back stealing games again. It's basically like last year, just with a different coach in a way. lol

It just so happened that we had bad defense under Boudreau and Demko hid that fact. We still don't have a great defense really. I'm hoping Hronek helps with that but we won't really know our defense situation for next year until the start of next year anyway.

7 hours ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

They couldn't win games when they counted so what makes these games meaningful?

Not giving the rookies/young players extra ice time that's for sure.

Pettersson, Miller and Hughes all have had their ice time increased by 15 to 20%

Meaningless to some fans, buty not meaningless at all to players or the coach.

• 2 months later...

I believe this is true. This will come together. Time is now. 

Our guys are entering their prime, we have winning staff, new culture, accountability, and we have an elite goaltender in Demko and what looks to be another in Silovs. 

A lot to be excited about.