The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Your opinion is we don’t have our key core. Mine is we do. If I agreed with your opinion, then I’d want to tank and draft as high as possible too. I don’t agree though. 

Demko is top five

Petey is top five

Miller, for his role, is top 10

Hughes is top 10

Hronek, for his role, is top 10

We have a great, and perfectly aged, key core. Now we have the coaching in place. 

We do need to move on from four contracts though: OEL, Myers, Boeser, Garland. All doable this summer. 

Agree to disagree Alf. You'll probably change your mind very soon anyways like usual. Your analysis is always rooted in fanaticism. I.e., it can't be trusted. Depends on who we trade for you'll think they're the next savior.

Same as your wild speculation on buyouts, moving players, and how easy that will be. Call me a skeptic.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And yet look at their prospect pool…

They have all the pieces we have and an influx of young talent on the doorstep.

They’re already a bubble team and I’d expect them to be a regular playoff team within a couple years. 

It's certainly possible, but I'm also guessing Stevie Y uses some of those prospects to fill in other gaps.  He's drafted a good core, that's for sure, but so did JB.  It's finding the right support players to put around that core that's the challenge and that isn't usually done ne via draft.

Van was in a similar situation as Det and Det will get to the point that Van is at now.  Good GM's get them past that spot by using assets they've acquired or with draft picks to find the right support players for that core.......aka re-tooling

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we keep our pick and take Reinbacher I will be shocked and pleasantly surprised.

He’s the closest thing in this draft we’re gonna get to that. Apparently he’s playing in all situations in the Swiss league.

Still need to find another elite young center somehow in that scenario.

If they end up 9-11, they'll likely go a bit off board and take Reinbacher, I agree.  As I've said, Moore would also be a great pick at that spot too and they need C as much (or more) than d.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I think you would be best cheering for another team. If you think we were going to get Bedard even at our lowest point over Columbus or Chicago you’re dead wrong if we do then players want out contract or not. 

Sounds like you need a dose of reality and that you’re more of the problem than the solution. The thought of you losing your cool the rest of the season when we win more games actually gives me a great deal of pleasure so enjoy being miserable my dude or dudette.  

Dose of reality? lol. A lot of fans have already been facing that dose of reality. In fact, you should've woken up and realized too as this has been going on for the past two years.

That reality is that this is at best a middle of the pack team with huge holes in the defence and up against the cap. 

If voicing your opinion and showing your frustration means that you become a problem for this team? That shows a lot about how you operate.  Why do you think a lot of this fanbase is frustrated? Yet your answer is "be happy or get out". 

This isn't some cult. It's a fanbase filled with differing opinions.

If you are complacent and satisfied with mediocrity and all you need is to see "players smiling" and not "breaking sticks on the ice". You do you bud.

You oughta wake up and realize that not everyone will think the same way or needs to think the same way that you do.

As I said, of course no one can control the outcome of how the team plays and what results in a draft order for example.

I also said that because of what fans of this team has gone through for near a decade, and specifically these past two seasons, is how you could see why some fans might not be so happy. 

My only wish is for this team to be a contender. Not a "maybe, maybe not" wildcard team.

JR and PA admittedly said that they underestimated the task and really did f*** all during the first half of their arrival. 

I will say that if they can turn this ship around by drastically changing this team in the summer (free up cap space, supplement our defensive holes..etc) then at least there will be more reassurance for all fans. We'll see what happens.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If they end up 9-11, they'll likely go a bit off board and take Reinbacher, I agree.  As I've said, Moore would also be a great pick at that spot too and they need C as much (or more) than d.

Yeah, since we got Hronek (although yet to play) I think Center is the more pressing need. We need two of those yet and absolutely nothing in the pipeline.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Dose of reality? lol. A lot of fans have already been facing that dose of reality. In fact, you should've woken up and realized too as this has been going on for the past two years.

That reality is that this is at best a middle of the pack team with huge holes in the defence and up against the cap. 

If voicing your opinion and showing your frustration means that you become a problem for this team? That shows a lot about how you operate.  Why do you think a lot of this fanbase is frustrated? Yet your answer is "be happy or get out". 

This isn't some cult. It's a fanbase filled with differing opinions.

If you are complacent and satisfied with mediocrity and all you need is to see "players smiling" and not "breaking sticks on the ice". You do you bud.

You oughta wake up and realize that not everyone will think the same way or needs to think the same way that you do.

As I said, of course no one can control the outcome of how the team plays and what results in a draft order for example.

I also said that because of what fans of this team has gone through for near a decade, and specifically these past two seasons, is how you could see why some fans might not be so happy. 

My only wish is for this team to be a contender. Not a "maybe, maybe not" wildcard team.

JR and PA admittedly said that they underestimated the task and really did f*** all during the first half of their arrival. 

I will say that if they can turn this ship around by drastically changing this team in the summer (free up cap space, supplement our defensive holes..etc) then at least there will be more reassurance for all fans. We'll see what happens.

How did Tampa, to build the Cup winners, fill their holes on D? They drafted Hedman and filled in all the other D via trade and free agency. We drafted Hughes, and just added Hronek via trade. Our core is still very early on in their careers. No reason why we can’t fill the supporting roles via more trades and free agent signings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, since we got Hronek (although yet to play) I think Center is the more pressing need. We need two of those yet and absolutely nothing in the pipeline.

We had nothing. Raty is a decent C prospect but probably a year away. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

At 9-10 he may already be gone. GMs from other teams place a premium in premium positions and right shot. Ours doesn’t. 

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wouldn't say nothing in the pipeline Karlsson is still a wild card but we do need Centre depth I agree. Raty I see as a potential middle 6, closer to third liner maybe.

Edited by canuck73_3

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Isn’t Raty a centre? What about Linus Karlsson? We have our #1C and #2C. Aman is an excellent 4C. Getting a right shot defensively minded 3C will come via free agency or trade. And there’s no reason why that couldn’t be an older player, who is good for a couple years and then we replace him with another older guy. The supporting role guys, like the 3C, can certainly be older players who have a couple good years left. 

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

I think there’s a real misconception that those of us who still enjoy watching the team play well and win games at this point in the season are actually hoping for some kind of big winning streak. For me, I’d be very happy if the team lost more than they won down the stretch to improve our lottery odds. I’m not hoping for wins. But when they happen, and I have no control over it because we have some great players and good coaching, I can still enjoy that too because I will always like watching my team win games. 

Absolutely this! Great post! +1 Kool Aid point. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

For sure it could very well work this time that’s what we’re all gonna cheer for.

But yea if we’re setting up for another short window of success followed by another 7 year retool I can’t go through that again.

I wanna see this team follow the model of successful organizations that build up depth to critical mass and then have a constant stream of young talent coming in.

When you reach that point you can continue to trade non core players for picks and prospects and continue to cycle in young talent. That along with good drafting can keep a window open for 15 years.

But the more you trade those 1sts and 2nds the harder and harder it is to build up that depth. And then you start to see those age gaps between core players and your prospects grow too big. We saw that under Gillis and Benning. That’s what’s always gonna keep leading to these extended retools.

I just hope we keep more focus on the future with this management group. That will ultimately decide how many chances this core gets at winning the cup.

If PA can ackumulate the same amount of players the coming year as he have done for now we can start take it easy regarding trading away picks.

So give and take one year more retooling then we can build up that base you’re looking for.

Think ten years forward.

We are close to having most pieces except a Tanev player and maybe that true 3rd C I hear about. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How did Tampa, to build the Cup winners, fill their holes on D? They drafted Hedman and filled in all the other D via trade and free agency. We drafted Hughes, and just added Hronek via trade. Our core is still very early on in their careers. No reason why we can’t fill the supporting roles via more trades and free agent signings. 

Like I said, if we can actually manage to do that amidst our cap issues then ofc I would be all for it. 

We still have major holes on defence even with Hronek (he's not our be all, end all). We need to add two more solid, legit top 4 pieces. We also have those cap issues as already mentioned.

We'll also need to see how much longer Miller (2-3 more years?) will even be an effective player when that 8 million dollar No trade clause kicks in. 

..and so on.

What I was mentioning was simply why some fans might've been at least hopeful for the chance to draft a lottery pick amidst a clown show of a non-playoff season extending back to last year. This team hadn't caught a break in the last decade.

Maybe people could've thought there might be at least a time where they did catch a break this year.

I do appreciate your outlook though.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we keep our pick and take Reinbacher I will be shocked and pleasantly surprised.

He’s the closest thing in this draft we’re gonna get to that. Apparently he’s playing in all situations in the Swiss league.

Still need to find another elite young center somehow in that scenario.

Yeah, I'd be very happy if we draft Reinbacher.

We can bring Schenn back for 2 more seasons as a stop-gap besides Hughes rather than stressing out over finding another top4RD at a premium.

Then 2 years later, Reinbacher makes the team and Schenn, well if he is still a good player can slot down the line up.

This simplifies the problem so much and we just need to find a top 4LD, which is far far far easier than finding a top 4RD.

As for 2C, I think I'm submitted to the fact that it will be JT MIller for the foreseeable future. His play as of late makes me feel a bit more optimistic that it's a viable way forward.

Then, it boils down to finding a 3C, which is again, far easier than finding a 2C. We could have one in the system in Raty, although I think he's a bit further away than I initially thought.

• Cheers 1