The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Quick Retool VAN-CGY

We will not be rebuilding so long as Demko, Hughes and Pettersson remain the core. So begins the retool!!

Any attempt at trading for Hanifin or Weegar starts with a 1st round pick.  Calgary will not be giving either of them away for less than market value. If they decide to rebuild as early as next season, which in my opinion, is something they should strongly consider. Allows them to move Huberdeau and others with significant retention knowing well they arent trying to ice a competitive team for the next 5-7 years and wont necessarily be spending to the cap. Calgary could potentially move Tanev, Markstrom, Huberdeau, Weegar, Hanifin, Lindholm and Kadri for a massive haul of futures. 

Ideal trade 2024 off season LOL: 

Hanifin (likely signs similar to a Hronek deal 6 -7m per) FOR 1st in 2024, Hoglander, Klimovich, Garland (they can flip at deadline)

Weegar (retention 750k = 5.5m) = 2nd in 2025, 1st in 2026, Karlsson (similar to the Hronek trade)

Buyout

OEL

Trade

Myers, Poolman, Pearson

Sign

Livingstone

2025 Season: 

Kuz Petey Mikhayev

Beauvillier Miller Boeser

Kravstov Raty Podkolzin 

McDo Aman Joshua

Hughes Weegar

Hanifin Hronek 

Wolanin Livingstone

Demko

Silovs

Too much? Too little? I shouldnt smoke so much Honey Boba and Benny Blunto's?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

We will not be rebuilding so long as Demko, Hughes and Pettersson remain the core. So begins the retool!!

Any attempt at trading for Hanifin or Weegar starts with a 1st round pick.  Calgary will not be giving either of them away for less than market value. If they decide to rebuild as early as next season, which in my opinion, is something they should strongly consider. Allows them to move Huberdeau and others with significant retention knowing well they arent trying to ice a competitive team for the next 5-7 years and wont necessarily be spending to the cap. Calgary could potentially move Tanev, Markstrom, Huberdeau, Weegar, Hanifin, Lindholm and Kadri for a massive haul of futures. 

Hanifin (likely signs similar to a Hronek deal 6 -7m per) FOR 1st in 2024, Hoglander, Klimovich, Garland (they can flip at deadline)

Weegar (retention 750k = 5.5m) = 2nd in 2025, 1st in 2026, Karlsson (similar to the Hronek trade)

Buyout

OEL

Trade

Myers, Poolman, Pearson

Sign

Livingstone

2025 Season: 

Kuz Petey Mikhayev

Kravstov Raty Podkolzin 

McDo Aman Joshua

Hughes Weegar

Hanifin Hronek 

Wolanin Livingstone

Demko

Silovs

Like it a lot but would rather get Tanev back over Weegar. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like it a lot but would rather get Tanev back over Weegar. 

Tanev doesnt really fit in with our core given his age. We want to be able to compete year after year, no? Think Weegar allows us to do that as opposed to Tanev who in two years will be? mid 30's? 

5 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Tanev doesnt really fit in with our core given his age. We want to be able to compete year after year, no? Think Weegar allows us to do that as opposed to Tanev who in two years will be? mid 30's? 

True. Tanev is 33. So four years older. 

20 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Buyout

OEL

Trade

Myers, Poolman, Pearson

Sign

Livingstone

2025 Season: 

Kuz Petey Mikhayev

Kravstov Raty Podkolzin 

McDo Aman Joshua

Hughes Weegar

Hanifin Hronek 

Wolanin Livingstone

Demko

Silovs

That defense has a lot of talent, but risks being eaten alive in the playoffs. Needs a Burroughs - Schenn as the 3rd pairing, with Julussen or Wolanin as the 7th. Then you have the horses to manage the nastier parts of the race. 

Hmm.  What's giving you the feeling that Calgary is going to tank next year?  I doubt it.  I think they're an interesting team that made some risky (but necessary) moves last summer, and they haven't paid off.  They are right up against the cap next season.  The Flames are a perfect example of a team that needs a re-tool.  They have a mature core that isn't old by any means, but it hasn't worked this year.  Even if they let Treliving go (which I also doubt), they'll try to get a GM committed to winning now.

Which brings us back to the trade floor.  Calgary needs to figure out what went wrong and shake things up.  Even if we offer up our wingers (any mixture of Garland, Boeser, Höglander) for Hanifin, does that fix their problems?  As much as I hate to say it, their biggest issue is Jacob Markström.  He's played alright in March, but this season has been a disaster.  He was so good last year, so everything is a big question mark for that team.

I definitely would not make that trade for Hanifin. 

I want to keep our 1st, plus I want to give the Hog and Klimovich a chance

before shipping them off. 

Sure, you've got to give to get, but I don't think that trade is in our team's best interest.

Personally I don't like either deal. Pass. 

• Thanks 2

How about Hughes for Calgary's Andersson, Zary Their 2023,2024,2025 1st round picks, and 2023, 2024, 2025 second round picks and most importantly. Cameron Whynot!

That way we can tank for years to come! And when folks ask why? We say Whynot!

Edited by Ghostsof1915

Wow, if Calgary goes rebuild, Treliving (and Sutter) will be gone.  They've just signed Huberdeau and Weegar to long term contracts.

The line up that Treliving assembled looks like a line up to take a run at a cup (with the addition of a rental or 2).

I would expect a new coach and maybe a few small moves.  Sometimes when a lot of moves are made in a season, it just takes time to gel. 

Calgary way under performed this year.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Hmm.  What's giving you the feeling that Calgary is going to tank next year?  I doubt it.  I think they're an interesting team that made some risky (but necessary) moves last summer, and they haven't paid off.  They are right up against the cap next season.  The Flames are a perfect example of a team that needs a re-tool.  They have a mature core that isn't old by any means, but it hasn't worked this year.  Even if they let Treliving go (which I also doubt), they'll try to get a GM committed to winning now.

Which brings us back to the trade floor.  Calgary needs to figure out what went wrong and shake things up.  Even if we offer up our wingers (any mixture of Garland, Boeser, Höglander) for Hanifin, does that fix their problems?  As much as I hate to say it, their biggest issue is Jacob Markström.  He's played alright in March, but this season has been a disaster.  He was so good last year, so everything is a big question mark for that team.

Yeah I think that Calgary needs to go for it again next year.  

They're too far in to think about going backwards.  

25 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Wow, if Calgary goes rebuild, Treliving (and Sutter) will be gone.  They've just signed Huberdeau and Weegar to long term contracts.

The line up that Treliving assembled looks like a line up to take a run at a cup (with the addition of a rental or 2).

I would expect a new coach and maybe a few small moves.  Sometimes when a lot of moves are made in a season, it just takes time to gel. 

Calgary way under performed this year.

People thought that you can take the absolute best line in hockey, get rid of it, and replace them by two other great forwards.  

Goes to show that a line that has chemistry is greater then the sum of it's parts. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

People thought that you can take the absolute best line in hockey, get rid of it, and replace them by two other great forwards.  

Goes to show that a line that has chemistry is greater then the sum of it's parts. 

The funny part of this is that out of the three teams (CGY, CBJ), only one of them really won the day (Florida).