The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] March 19, 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Quackers - 5PM PST / 8PM EST - The Flying Feathers Cup

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

26 minutes ago, Muttley said:

What this Canuck team is doing lately, with all the injuries and call ups from Abbotsford is truly inspirational. Matter fact, I have no doubt the regulars that are 

playing, have it dialed up a notch. It's a blast. Hughes is on a tear. Pettersson is a beast and Miller has his best qualities on display, and at any given time,

Kuzmenko explodes. Whatever Tocchet is preachin, the players are buyin. Jeremy Colliton has done a bang-up job as well having players in Abbotsford ready.

What I find the most interesting is how well we're managing without certain, pricey players in the line-up. At least one for sure. 

For the first time in what seems like forever our developmental is actually doing what it's supposed to...develop players. I don't expect anybody currently in Abbotsford to become an elite talent, but I can legitimately see several Abby players filling out our bottom six over the next year or two and doing quite well. Hoglander, Raty, Karlsson, Klimovich, Bains, Nielsen. Of course not all of them will make it, but their development looks promising, and plugging some of them into the lineup will save us from having to spend in free agency to fill out the bottom 6, and hopefully, with a little luck, one or two of them will have enough offensive upside to displace a couple of our more expensive wingers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea some people take it too far, but I see alot of it as just venting. If you can’t vent here where are you gonna vent?

I personally think one of the missing pieces for us is another elite center. Maybe it ends up being another right shot D. It’s gonna be tough to see us miss out on all those top centers at the top of the draft though.

If we end up 9th or 10th and grab a top D I’ll be happy. But it still won’t change my belief that we need another center. That player will be hard to find outside the draft.

There’s def work to be done and hopefully they can address one of those things at the draft. There will probably have to be some trades and / or signings to address what can’t be addressed at the draft. There may even be a trade at the draft??? There’s some work to do between now and Sept. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea some people take it too far, but I see alot of it as just venting. If you can’t vent here where are you gonna vent?

I personally think one of the missing pieces for us is another elite center. Maybe it ends up being another right shot D. It’s gonna be tough to see us miss out on all those top centers at the top of the draft though.

If we end up 9th or 10th and grab a top D I’ll be happy. But it still won’t change my belief that we need another center. That player will be hard to find outside the draft.

We have Petey and Miller. That two elite centres. We need a right shot, defensive centre. We need a right shot Malholtra. 
We have two fabulous D. Hughes will anchor our first pairing and Hronek will anchor our second pairing. We need two D two compliment out top two guys. And we need more depth in our forwards. These are all retooling moves. The core is in place. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I won't disagree with you - BUT - our goal is to win the cup (REMEMBER???)   Not squeek in the playoffs and this team is miles away from that.   Granted, one step at time, but there are two many "passengers" on the Canucks train and why I and thousands of other Canuck fans are fed-up with the annual "tinkering around the edges" we go thru year after year after year without any sustained results and why many want a Rebuild because the springtime "Tinkerings" we've seen for over a decade have and are failing us.

I see no difference this year and we'll likely be having this same conversation this exact time next year!   (Hope I'm wrong!)

Only one team can win the cup each year.  It not only takes a great team, but alot of luck as well.  We were unlucky in 2011, even 1994 we hit the post.  A few different bounces here and there and we could already be two-time Stanley Cup champions.

Also, how many teams have actually won the Cup since the salary cap was introduced?  10 teams?  That's only like 1/3 of the league.  It's not easy to win the Cup, even if you obtain multiple 1st overall picks.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We have Petey and Miller. That two elite centres. We need a right shot, defensive centre. We need a right shot Malholtra. 
We have two fabulous D. Hughes will anchor our first pairing and Hronek will anchor our second pairing. We need two D two compliment out top two guys. And we need more depth in our forwards. These are all retooling moves. The core is in place. 

I’m not gonna get into it again, but I don’t believe Miller will be that center for us when we’re actually ready to contend.

We need another center coming up behind Petey for us to have an actual window to contend. The worst thing we can do is shorten our window again. We saw that enough under Gillis and Benning.

40 minutes ago, Toews said:

Some of us have just decided that there is no point putting any emotional investment into an outcome that isn't going to come to pass. There is a very real possibility that pick is going to get moved in the offseason/draft anyway, so all this angst over one or two spots in the draft just isn't productive when the return is not going to be materially any different. The Canucks have chosen their direction, it may not be what a lot of us as fans wanted but it is something that we need to accept. A month ago heck even a week ago I was all on board with the tank but I have come to terms that what I wanted simply isn't going to happen. What you want isn't what you get in life, you can either choose to accept it with grace or piss and moan about it. I am likely not going to see this team win a Cup just like I am not going to be marrying a super model. C'est la vie.

As soon as we made the NYI trade, I predicted we would trade the 1st round pick to acquire a RHD.  I can even dig up my old posts.  

My prediction this time is that if our own pick falls past 10 and Michkov is not available, we will trade that pick as well...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I won't disagree with you - BUT - our goal is to win the cup (REMEMBER???)   Not squeek in the playoffs and this team is miles away from that.   Granted, one step at time, but there are two many "passengers" on the Canucks train and why I and thousands of other Canuck fans are fed-up with the annual "tinkering around the edges" we go thru year after year after year without any sustained results and why many want a Rebuild because the springtime "Tinkerings" we've seen for over a decade have and are failing us.

I see no difference this year and we'll likely be having this same conversation this exact time next year!   (Hope I'm wrong!)

Sounds like you would like to see us rebuild. Is your view is our current core isn’t good enough (even with an excellent supporting cast) to win? 
I think our core is good enough to win. We need to continue to retool the supporting cast. 

• There it is 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All fair points.

But you’re telling Canucks fans not to piss and moan? That’s what we do! :lol:

I see a lot of people who were cheering on the tank a few weeks ago now pretending like they never wanted to tank. You can’t take some sort of high ground, when you were down in the mud not that long ago.

True that, I realize I am being extremely hypocritical as I was probably at the front of the line of the people complaining just a couple of weeks ago. Its actually @kilgore's posting that convinced me that it was time to let it go. I can tell you it feels much better cheering for wins, plus I am coping with it by assuming the pick is going to be moved probably for somebody that management is targeting, hopefully it is a top 4 RHD.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m not gonna get into it again, but I don’t believe Miller will be that center for us when we’re actually ready to contend.

We need another center coming up behind Petey for us to have an actual window to contend. The worst thing we can do is shorten our window again. We saw that enough under Gillis and Benning.

I do agree, although I don't have a problem with Miller, but I do expect them to use our 1st to select a center, who's ready or close to ready to play in the league, and then go for D after that. We do need another high end center. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Basically, we have our core in place which are the hardest players to acquire, Hronek being the last piece to that puzzle.  Now we need to acquire 5-6 complimentary pieces.

Most of those pieces can be acquired through free agency, but I would expect at least one trade as well.  Maybe our 2023 1st is on the table to get one more core piece.  With 7 core pieces I think we could do some damage in the playoffs as early as next season...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not with JR, Allvin and Tocchet. They just got here and it appears they know what they're doing. Team is playing well and having success. They made a huge trade a few weeks ago, and a few others. Things are changing. I know it's been said before, but next year really will be different. Tocchet is still evaluating the team, and more players will be gone in the off season, the right players brought in. They're winning some games, but they still have a chance at Bedard. 

"I'm a Canucks fan and I want them to lose every game!"  Something not right about this.  

Well, I'd truly like to share your optimism about what we've seen from this new management and while the Kuzmenko pick-up is a winner, I am not impressed with most of the other moves from resigning BB6 (a one dimensional shooter who needs to get out of here), to signing JTM (a good player but with a bad attitude and a ridiculously long contract that will become the next L.E. contract in the next 3-4 years), to throwing away badly needled draft picks that we desperately need to restock the cupboards with on the farm to poorly thought out trades like Dick&Son, Stillman, Hornek, Lockwood, Dermott to name a few.  Not to mention PA's terrible decision (so far) to waste are extremely valuable 2022 draft pick on that puny "Pack of Bones" kid from "the Motherland" (Jonathen Lekkerimaki) that has had a terrible season with two concussions, a broken foot and outplayed through the 1/2 season he only managed to play thru this year and looks like another 1st Rd. "Wash-out"!

So, while I'm also hoping you're correct that many more of the passengers on the canucks train are dispossed of at seasons end because we have a ways to go before being a real contender and you could see that last night against LA, who severly outplayed us - except for Demko who save our bacon in an otherwise embarressing game  of Men Vs. Boys!

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Basically, we have our core in place which are the hardest players to acquire, Hronek being the last piece to that puzzle.  Now we need to acquire 5-6 complimentary pieces.

Most of those pieces can be acquired through free agency, but I would expect at least one trade as well.  Maybe our 2023 1st is on the table to get one more core piece.  With 7 core pieces I think we could do some damage in the playoffs as early as next season...

I'd argue that we probably need another blueliner to add to our core. Hopefully we're in a position to draft Reinbacher and/or sign Livingstone, as I think both those guys would fit out team like a glove become part of our core. Malinski would be a nice add as well, although I'd consider him more of a plan B. We also need to ensure that Hronek is a fit for our lineup and doesn't Nate Schmidt on us.

That said, I think we're in a decent position to take some major strides. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I do agree, although I don't have a problem with Miller, but I do expect them to use our 1st to select a center, who's ready or close to ready to play in the league, and then go for D after that. We do need another high end center. 

The good thing is Miller is just as effective on the wing.

So if they do get that center he can move there and still contribute.

You’ve gotta have speed down the middle though and age will catch up to him despite what some people believe.

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Edmonton Oilers of the 1980's never had a top 3 pick in the draft.  They won 5 cups...

One more time.....................

FACT:   Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster.

Stop dreaming.........!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

You’ve gotta have speed down the middle though and age will catch up to him despite what some people believe.

I agree, and I also like the concept of a top 9 verses a top 6, so RT can play him with Miller, or put a third line together, or whatever fits the occasion. It's very good to have options. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

They probably keep OEL for another season at least and just buy out Garland 

Buy out Garland?!? 

What? 

Should we buy out Kuzmenko too while we're at it? 

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Only one team can win the cup each year.  It not only takes a great team, but alot of luck as well.  We were unlucky in 2011, even 1994 we hit the post.  A few different bounces here and there and we could already be two-time Stanley Cup champions.

Also, how many teams have actually won the Cup since the salary cap was introduced?  10 teams?  That's only like 1/3 of the league.  It's not easy to win the Cup, even if you obtain multiple 1st overall picks.  

Of course not - BUT - it obviously made a difference in 43 out of 45 years.  That's a pretty overwhelming fact - in anyones books!

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd argue that we probably need another blueliner to add to our core. Hopefully we're in a position to draft Reinbacher and/or sign Livingstone, as I think both those guys would fit out team like a glove become part of our core. Malinski would be a nice add as well, although I'd consider him more of a plan B. We so need to ensure that Hronek is a fit for our lineup and doesn't Nate Schmidt on us.

That said, I think we're in a decent position to take some major strides. 

I agree.  Reinbacher would be great, but I think he goes in the top 10.  If we fall out of the top 10 and Michkov is also gone then I can see us trading the pick to try and get one more RHD.  If we are in the 6-9 position, then I think we draft Reinbacher if he is available.  He will be 19 in the fall (late birthday) and is eligible to go to Abby right away.  So he could be ready for the NHL in 2 years.  If we can add Livingstone then I think he could step in right away on the 3rd pairing.  We would then need to add a couple veterans to fill the gap until these kid are ready.  Having a right side of Hronek, Reinbacher and Livingstone would basically complete our D...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

One more time.....................

FACT:   Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster.

Stop dreaming.........!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/

Please tell me the player that the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980's drafted with a top 3 pick.  I'll wait...

Also, Brad Stuart for Detroit Red Wings in 2008?  LMFAO!!!  Like he was the difference maker on that team!!!  :lol:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Age catches up to everyone, but JT is playing great right now. 

He actually reminds me a lot of Getzlaf except slightly less skilled and slightly smaller. Getz had lost all his speed in the end but was still efficient. He played until he was 35. 

JT's contract runs until he is 36.