The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Mar. 18, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, dougieL said:

You just proved my point. They had awful years, playing well below their potential, then got Makar as a result. Now look where they are.

I'm fully aware our potential is not bottom 5, but we had the chance to be this season if we did things right. A team with really good players bottoming out when it shouldn't, then getting a really good pick as a result, can lead to special things. We had an opportunity to do that, and we blew it. 

What part of "They weren't anywhere near the players they are now" isn't computing? Mac, Rantanen and Landeskog didn't have a handshake agreement to suck that year. For Mac and Rantanen, that's just what they were. If Mackinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog from 2017 were as good as Pettersson, Kuzmenko and Miller from 2023 they wouldn't have been bad enough to draft Makar. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What part of "They weren't anywhere near the players they are now" isn't computing? Mac, Rantanen and Landeskog didn't have a handshake agreement to suck that year. For Mac and Rantanen, that's just what they were. If Mackinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog from 2017 were as good as Pettersson, Kuzmenko and Miller from 2023 they wouldn't have been bad enough to draft Makar. 

You just keep proving my point :lol:

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

Joshua, Aman, Wolanin, Burroughs, and Jurmo are not even close to being difference makers. If you think we're done adding star power and only need to fill out the fringes to be a Cup contender, I would strongly disagree. Why would a team not want to add a cheap, high end piece, for free, in this year's draft? As many people have said here, the top 5 are very likely to be difference makers. That's they type of piece we need. Hughes, Demko, and Pettersson are not that elite in comparison to other `cores' around the league. They may be really good, but not elite.

First of all, the bolded are depth. Every team needs them as you cannot have 12 Petterrssons on the team. You need solid depth to grind and play depth minutes.

With that said, let me ask you a question, when is Toronto or Edmonton going to win the Cup? Toronto has 4 players making 10 million and Edmonton has 3 and look at the rest of the team. The more star power you have, the less quality everywhere else. Now, is the problem with the Canucks scoring goals? No. Is the problem keeping the puck out of our net? Yes. We need a Sutter and a Beagle who can score secondary goals while playing the PK. We also need good players coming in on ELC contracts that can also add to the team. It is a balance and if we lean too far in one direction you ruin the rest. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

First of all, the bolded are depth. Every team needs them as you cannot have 12 Petterrssons on the team. You need solid depth to grind and play depth minutes.

With that said, let me ask you a question, when is Toronto or Edmonton going to win the Cup? Toronto has 4 players making 10 million and Edmonton has 3 and look at the rest of the team. The more star power you have, the less quality everywhere else. Now, is the problem with the Canucks scoring goals? No. Is the problem keeping the puck out of our net? Yes. We need a Sutter and a Beagle who can score secondary goals while playing the PK. We also need good players coming in on ELC contracts that can also add to the team. It is a balance and if we lean too far in one direction you ruin the rest. 

Exactly. You finally said something that makes sense. Now - where and how do we get these good players on ELC contracts???

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

Exactly. You finally said something that makes sense. Now - where and how do we get these good players on ELC contracts???

Alf's crystal ball?

You do not need top 5 to get a good player if this is a deep draft. I mean some on here are already talking about trading down, the draft is so good. I do not watch Jrs so this is based on others. But every team has late round beauties so it is pointless to think it is top 5 and done.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

It’s a rare young ELC who comes in and is a difference maker.  Most often it’s second and third contracts where players are their best in supporting roles.

Maybe you are of the belief our core isn’t good enough to win and want to see a year down rebuild?  You need to define core. 

2 minutes ago, Nucks780 said:

6 shots after 2. Still gets the win. Hilarious team lol

Were we less hilarious when giving up 6 goals but cheating defensively so we could score 5?

We played with one NHL top four D man and have been for this season. 

10 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

so this team without both OEL and Meyers are a better team.....who'd a thought?

They'll be a better team with them in the lineup.  Their improved play is systems, not personnel 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, Kaös said:

Wow the absolute love and fixation for mediocrity on these forums is amazing. Are you guys not sick of teams like, Colorado, Carolina, St-louis hell even LA rebuilding and winning cups? its the same thing year in and year out, out of the playoff picture then start to win meaningless games and get crappy draft picks. The Canucks and Sabers are the 2 oldest teams in the NHL to NEVER WIN the cup at 50 years 50 YEARS, are you not tired of it????  

If its that hard to stomach, why are you hanging around here?

24 minutes ago, Muttley said:

What did you think Tocchet, (new coach), was going to do? Come into the organization and start throwing games? Get a grip on reality.  I admit two or three of 

the recent wins have been a bit of a fluke but the team is actually learning better habits. That's not a bad thing by any stretch. Something else folks should remember;

We could still get a fairly high draft pick but we can also trade for another. 

Add all the players to that as well. Throwing games isn't in any of their dna. If it was, they wouldn't be play at this level.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Nope, some could care less. As long as they win as much as they can for the rest of the year. It's always the Canucks playoffs at the end of the year. You should know that.

See below....

10 hours ago, Kaös said:

Wow the absolute love and fixation for mediocrity on these forums is amazing. Are you guys not sick of teams like, Colorado, Carolina, St-louis hell even LA rebuilding and winning cups? its the same thing year in and year out, out of the playoff picture then start to win meaningless games and get crappy draft picks. The Canucks and Sabers are the 2 oldest teams in the NHL to NEVER WIN the cup at 50 years 50 YEARS, are you not tired of it????  

See below...,

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is the words of a Stanley cup winning coach...

Some how I tend to accept, what he says more than some fans in a fans forum says. 

I wanted a better draft pick as well, and I was hoping for 2 first round picks and several 2nd round picks etc...

I the coach says its imporyant for the team to win, then maybe it is. He sure as hell knows a lot more about tram building, than I do...

And what is the coach to do anyway? Sit Demko, Petey or QH? 

I think they feel they need to know, if these players are up to the task next season. Can't blame them, as with the Hronek trade they really need to figure out, who to chop and who to replace. Don't be fooled, they are aiming for the play offs next season. 
Not in 2-3 years....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is the words of a Stanley cup winning coach*...

*Assistant coach who has never won the Stanley Cup as a head coach. Like Pierre MacGuire.

Like saying Top Gun Maverick is an Oscar winning film and leaving out that it won for best sound and not Best Picture.

• Cheers 1