The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Tuesday March 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Vegas Knights - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

6 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Really hope we take this one...Vegas nauseates me. I wonder if they'll wear their pretty gold helmets?

Take this as a win for the 'Nick's  take the spread as well 

You know, I am 3 for 3 on GDT ... Canucks have won each of them, perhaps I should do them for rest of the year, LoL

:bigblush:

Go Canucks Go.

• Thanks 1

Awfully quiet here, so with asbestos underwear on, I will ask:

"Would you trade Miller/Demko for Markstrom/Huberdeau with Calgary retaining salary on the Huffer?"

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If you're gonna talk the inclusion talk, then walk it as well. 

You're trying way too hard to find reasons to hate on others. 

Ignore him - it's just his classic fake outrage talking. It shows up from time to time. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Putin can suck it. Any Russian, on the Nucks or any other team in the NHL, that puts themselves in a position where their support of Putin, which contravenes the norms of this society, can suck it too. 

You can’t have two Masters. Either be aligned with the society that you earn your living in or earn it in the society that aligns with your beliefs and fears. 

Screw those that try to have their cake and eat it too, at the detriment of others. 

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Then they gotta choose.

Canada doesn’t bend to the will of Putin.

Vancouver won’t. 

Nor will most Canuck supporters. 

I expect full Pride support from all the Russian players on the Canuck team. 

Otherwise, it will affect their support here. 

You do realize that the very real threat of something happening to the families of Russian players, regardless of whether they agree or not, is oppression as well? Panarin had to relocate his ENTIRE family and was barely able to escape his own country due to him speaking out against the current regime. It is not a joke over there.

Flyers goalie prospect Ivan Fedotov was trying to flee Russia to come over to NA until he was apprehended in a sting. He was hospitalized and sent to military base and no one has heard from him since. Malkin had to relocate his family, went ghost for a week before coming to Russia as his KHL team literally took him to a park along with his family and threatened them to sign the contract. They followed his family home and Malkin fearing what may happen decided to sign it in the early AM. He then grabbed his shit and left Russia. Apparently they wanted him to serve his country and show patriotism and honor.

When you have teenagers and young men literally dying and suffering from the worst kinds of treatment for attempting to flee conscription in a war they want no part of, it should tell you just how serious it is to not be a conformist in that society. 

Give the Russians a break. 

• There it is 1

40 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

If they stated that they can't wear the jerseys for political reasons, it wouldn't affect my support for them. Russia's anti-gay propaganda laws are no joke and these guys could legitimately be arrested if they went back to Russia. It's a pretty shitty situation all around. I couldn't imagine wanting to go to Russia in the current political climate, but of course I'm not from there. For better or for worse, it's home to these guys.

I would be quite surprised if the entire team wears the jerseys next week. If so, then kudos to all the players.

As a Canadian, are our rights to free speech and human rights and equality going to be honoured there? 

Please say no. ;)

15 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Awfully quiet here, so with asbestos underwear on, I will ask:

"Would you trade Miller/Demko for Markstrom/Huberdeau with Calgary retaining salary on the Huffer?"

Just in case this is a serious question, here are some comments.

1. Miller and Huberdeau are the same age. When Miller was signed at a cap hit of 8 million for 7 years, I thought that was on the low side of market, but still a poor move for the Canucks given where they were in their "retool". When Huberdeau was signed at a cap hit of $10.5 million for 8 years, I thought that was a terrible contract. It looks even worse now.

2. The maximum retention on Huberdeau would be 50%. But even at a cap hit of 5.25 million Huberdeau would be overpaid. He is a soft winger on the wrong side of the aging curve. He is currently scoring (and playing) at a decent second line level but that will decline over the length of the contract.

3. Demko is an excellent goalie in his prime. Markstrom is 33 and having a poor year. Goalies can be good into their mid-30s or even late 30s but that is betting against the odds. Chances are that Marky will be a marginal NHL starter at best on a bad cap hit of 6 million for the next three years.

Even if Calgary threw in a first round pick this trade would not make sense. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or I’m resistant to the dark side?

You have a bright disposition and ain't no black jersey gonna hold you down! 

1 minute ago, Citizen Erased said:

He’s no Iain Macintyre.

I don't mind Ian.... Don't mind Kuzma either.  

Satiar Shah is my favourite though, it was nice to hear him take over Jeff Marek's show for a day yesterday. 

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That is nothing sorry to break it to you.

Nothing to be sorry about, that's your opinion dude. 

3 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

I laugh at people who expect people who are, and have been, the best at what they do for almost their whole lives to purposefully lose or to purposefully not do well.  That's a true losers mentality.

That’s never been the argument.

All you would have to do is claw Hughes ice time back to 23-24 minutes and not play Demko 95% of the games and that alone would equal some losses.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say they don’t wanna see them play hard.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1