The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumours] Canucks NCAA & Euro FA targets

Guys we should be looking at who won't break the bank.

-Lassi Thompson, Bernard Docker 

Ottawa won't be able to keep both neither will pass through waivers good opportunity to pick one of them up cheap. 

-Gemel Smith journey man 4th liner with excellent wheels PPG in the A he's willing to get his flippers up and solid pker can play C.

- Maybe the best thing for Brock to do to get his game back would be to go somewhere with no pressure no media no spotlight. Something like to Arizona for one of their rfa's Jack McBain/Christian Fisher 2 solid young bottom 6er's who play tidy defensively Fisher's got a bit more offense McBain has a bit more sandpaper and can play C.  

- Zemgus Girginsons admittedly I've wanted to get this guy for a long time maybe this is the year. 

-Jayden Grubbe 20 yo Who Sutter made Cap of the rebels at just 17. He’s a big bodied shut down right shot C he skates well 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Jayden Grubbe 20 yo Who Sutter made Cap of the rebels at just 17. He’s a big bodied shut down right shot C he skates well 

Not sure why the Rags gave up on this kid. 

• Like 1

Not sure if posted already. Dhaliwal says the Quinnipiac player the Canucks are “sniffing around” isn’t Collin Graf:

That still leaves Metsa, Quillan, and De Jong as the most likely targets.

Or Brind’Amour, when he hits August 15th free agency.

The Quinnipiac Bobcats also have three undrafted graduating players who were born and raised in North Vancouver and several on the roster who played in the BCHL before college.

The three North Van kids are Ethan De Jong (RW), Jayden Lee (RHD), and Desi Burgart (W/C).

Of those three, only De Jong would really be considered an ELC option IMO.

The other two might be AHL deal candidates.

(Also wondering if some of the “sniffing” could just be draft scouting? 19-year-old Quinnipiac freshman, Charles-Alexis Legault, born in Kelowna and a former West Kelowna Warrior (BCHL), is a ranked player for the 2023 draft. He’s a 6’3” 214lb RHD with good mobility who played 2nd pairing for the NCAA championship winning Bobcats.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Metsa off the board.

Looks like he’s accepted a two-year AHL deal with Buffalo’s affiliate.

surprised no nhl option, two years in Rochester NY... speaks to not a lot of offers, my guess is this is not the player they are "sniffing"

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Not so sure. I wonder if teams are concerned about his size. Krug comparisons but Krug put up numbers at a notably younger age.

Metsa may still be a good prospect so will be interesting if his AHL play will open up doors for him.

We need a 5'9 ppg rover D like we need a flame thrower on the zamboni. Would be cool but it doesn't do a better job. 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

40 minutes ago, hammertime said:

We need a 5'9 ppg rover D like we need a flame thrower on the zamboni. Would be cool but it doesn't do a better job. 

lol I don't mind the Canucks signing prospects like Metsa, even if it seems redundant. They can still recoup value for prospects, and free ones like NCAA UFAs are even better.

I hear you though, Metsa doesn't quite seem to address the deficiencies with the Canucks. All I mean is that hopefully Metsa's stint in the AHL helps open up doors for him to the NHL, whether that's with BUF or another NHL team. Seems unlikely to be the Canucks but who knows what transpires over the next couple of years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sarjakd said:

I had seen a tweet that said Canucks are not in the mix for Hardy Haman Aktell. It was a reply by Dhaliwal

that's disappointing. 

management better not be done signing players. they got a lot of work rebuilding that backend for next season. 

On 4/15/2023 at 12:18 AM, N4ZZY said:

that's disappointing. 

management better not be done signing players. they got a lot of work rebuilding that backend for next season. 

To be fair, we need more help in our top 4 and continue to move out ill fitting giraffes for that.

As nice as free college/Euro guys are, they don't tend to jump in to legit top 4 roles immediately (if ever). And they don't move Myers for us.

Those are problems that will likely need to be fixed elsewhere.

Edited by aGENT