The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ADSF] Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Maple Leafs win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2023 at 11:00 PM

20 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I just had a horrible thought. 

Say TOR has another 1st round exit. The s*** would hit the fan and panic would set in, especially with only one more season of Matthews under contract. 

Then the lottery is held and ARI gets the #1.

Matthews++ to ARI for the #1, and the Leafs end up with Bedard. Auston goes home where it's warm and he doesn't have to wear pants.

Could something like this actually happen? I don't think I could stomach it. 

The Leafs don't have anything with positive value other than Matthews.  Arizona can just wait until he becomes a UFA, no reason to worry.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nylander is positive value 100%

Not unless he makes winning a priority and starts at least attempting to backcheck.  You don't want someone that lazy anywhere near your team, especially with that abomination of a contract.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not unless he makes winning a priority and starts at least attempting to backcheck.  You don't want someone that lazy anywhere near your team, especially with that abomination of a contract.

He was their best player in the playoffs last year and the poor defense has been a myth since well after rookie and sophomore seasons. Facts back that up severely.

Edited by canuck73_3

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [ADSF] Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3)
On 4/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, King Heffy said:

The Leafs don't have anything with positive value other than Matthews.  Arizona can just wait until he becomes a UFA, no reason to worry.

Average goaltending still hasn't been addressed

On 4/4/2023 at 8:13 PM, canuck73_3 said:

He was their best player in the playoffs last year and the poor defense has been a myth since well after rookie and sophomore seasons. Facts back that up severely.

Yeah I think many here are still justify the Canucks not selecting him

Like he's over a PPG if he was a Canuck people here would be thinking he was one of the greatest of all time 

• Cheers 1

On 4/9/2023 at 12:33 AM, iinatcc said:

Yeah I think many here are still justify the Canucks not selecting him

Like he's over a PPG if he was a Canuck people here would be thinking he was one of the greatest of all time 

He would be in the press box until he decided to put in an acceptable effort.  That floater makes LE look like a workaholic.  You can't have someone like that around if you want a culture of accountability.  Ehlers was the good pick in that range.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wat 1

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He would be in the press box until he decided to put in an acceptable effort.  That floater makes LE look like a workaholic.  You can't have someone like that around if you want a culture of accountability.  Ehlers was the good pick in that range.

So shouldn't we be saying the same on Kuzmenko then since Tocchet seems to have concerns on his defensive play ?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

So shouldn't we be saying the same on Kuzmenko then since Tocchet seems to have concerns on his defensive play ?

He's a rookie and has at least shown that he's willing to try.  He's nowhere near the level of a gutless coward who refuses to break a sweat and is terrified of the puck.  As long as the Leafs allow Nylander to play the way he does, they have no chance of ever succeeding in the playoffs.

• Wat 1

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's a rookie and has at least shown that he's willing to try.  He's nowhere near the level of a gutless coward who refuses to break a sweat and is terrified of the puck.  As long as the Leafs allow Nylander to play the way he does, they have no chance of ever succeeding in the playoffs.

Kuzmenko is older than Nylander 

• Cheers 1

I won't be surprised if Toronto finally gets out of the 1st round. Tampa has looked shaky all year, Vasilevskiy has had trouble finding consistency, and Hedman is having a down year. The series is probably going to come down to goaltending (whether Vasilevskiy can find his form or Samsonov cracks under pressure).

On 4/11/2023 at 6:21 AM, King Heffy said:

Still first year in the NHL.  Nylander has been in the league long enough to know that his effort level is simply not acceptable.

But he's been at the pro level basically as long as Nylander has despie Kuzmenko playing mostly in the KHL.

While I wont' say won't improve on somethings, he's not a rookie and is already 27 so he's is who he is at this point. 

I see Kuzmenko's transition from KHL to the NHL an equivalent of changing NHL organizations or, at least, a coaching change. There could be marginal improvements but I doubt he's going to have add a new dimension to his defensive game. 

Just now, Wise Guy said:

Leafs will leave the playoffs scene at 6:66 of the third overtime period in game 7, it’ll be the closest they come to the second round until the year after the Canucks win the Cup.

Leafs are the favourites this year. Alf’s empties are chiming a Leaf parade down Young Street with Pyjama Boy holding the Cup.