The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They have had 2 chances to trade JTM for reasonable returns and haven’t.  They were faced with the decision of Bo or JTm and made their choice. 
Trading him would be right choice if rebuilding more extensively but they have chosen the other direction. 
It is now about trying to turn a core that knows nothing but losing into a winner by moving pieces around in the margins (once they pay the price to clear some cap) and trying to scrape into the playoffs. 
Yes they have generally gone after younger veterans than the previous regime.  This has worsened the financial situation as they have gained another expensive winger and an injured defenceman that will be going into a contract year and was traded primarily because of his contract asks.  They also sound like they are planning more Benningesc moves in buying their way out of bad contracts with dead cap generating buyouts or trading more high draft pics. I bet we will see this or next years first traded this summer for cap reasons. All this to bid on more UFAs to fill big organizational holes created by doing exactly this under Benning, the cycle of mediocrity goes on. 
They have done a nice job of adding players for little to nothing but have demonstrated an inability to clear cap/roster spots and that will come to a head this summer as we are already over the cap for next year with an incomplete lineup. Desperation moves are on their way this off-season, and no Alf, an OEL buyout is not one of them. 

Re: Bad contract buyouts

They have veteran players brought in under Benning who probably aren’t exactly the most sought-after via trade. I do not fault Allvin and Rutherford for that. 

Re: Miller

As much as I do support him, as long as the NMC hasn’t been activated, he’s still the best option for boxes still needing to be ticked. I would add Boeser to that sentence only if there were a comparable top-6 RH RW coming the other way. Specifically, a top-6 RH RW who currently produces like Boeser used to. As it stands, my biggest pet peeve with this organisation over the last half-decade is its inability to stop itself from stocking up on LH’s. Whether it’s Forwards or Defenceman. There’s rarely any balance. I’m not so pessimistic that this regime will be as reluctant as the previous one when it’s time to “pay the price to clear some cap.”

4 hours ago, KFan said:

Petey wasn't great last night. He was pretty soft losing board battles and falling down.

I noticed this too. Our players need to find a way to overcome big hard working teams out working us and out battling us.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Miller came a few years too early… Benning was to full of himself to understand that.

Petey and Hughes had to fill up their costume before we should trade for players like Miller or Hronek.

Now they’re ready and we got an addition like Hronek.

But since Benning handicapped the future with his trades like Miller, Garland, OEL, Myers etc it is pretty hard for PA to go forward.

Im going to disagree. Miller came at the right time and if anybody F***ed up it was PA by not moving Miller and capitalizing on his value. Where would we be if Horvat was still here? Miller gave us options, keep him and move Bo or vice versa. You need to be deep down the middle. Miller allowed us to move Horvat, add a top 4RHD a prospect AND a top 6 winger. If we didnt have him, we’d trade Bo for the same package and have no legit 2C or we keep him and we’re soft as baby sh*t.

Miller was an appreciating asset that PA did not choose to move and utilize his value for a bigger return than what was initially doled out. 

Keep in mind, JB didnt sign a PKer for nearly 5mil (Mikheyev) Garland ALSO was a valuable trade chip that SHOULD have been moved last TDL or last off-season, seeing how HOGLANDER makes him redundant and is an upgrade on an ELC. I said this at the very start, that Garland should be moved and Hoglander should be on the team, he makes Garland disposable and a much cheaper option that will provide the same if not more.

PA also re-signed Boeser instead of moving him. So don’t go around saying he was handcuffed, he chose not to utilize his assets. Out of Bo, Boeser, Miller and Garland only Bo was moved. He doubled down on Boeser and Miller and believed in Garland. He could have very easily found a suitor for Garland, Boeser and certainly Miller.

JB handed over far more valuable assets than he did anchors and you seem to be one of the ignorant ones who is gaslighting everything OEL and Myers did as shutdown pair last season. Which funny enough they were split up almost all of this season to baby sit and the team struggled when they were a part. Just like how everyone cried about LE, Beagle and Roussel, immediately after they were gone our PK took a HISTORIC nose dive TWO consecutive seasons in a row. It wasnt until the latter half of both seasons that the coaching/structure changes made an impact as well as goaltending sharpened up. 

You honestly sit here and think that if we had a league avg PK in the last 2 seasons, we still wouldnt be a playoff team?? Do you know just how many games we lost JUST because of the PK? Its astounding the number of games the PK cost us the last 2 seasons and poor goaltending.

This team is scoring and that is the hardest thing to do in this league.

Structure and consistent goaltending is all we need. A structure change has gone a long way already, our PK is over 85% since Tocchet and company took over.

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Maybe we can all chip-in and get a farewell pancake breakfast at IHOP ! Pancake Giraffe Food Art  No Hard Feelings!

It's ok.  Only one more season.   Think i've got that in me.    Hope you and everyone else on here does too.  

• Sad 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Get over it, Benning was worse than Gillis and that isn’t even close.

AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH are you kidding???? I think its time for you Gillis nut huggers to accept the fact Gillis sold the future away and realistically had a very small impact overall on the 2010-11 Roster

Hamhuis, Torres, Erhoff, Ballard, Lappierre…… sick moves bud. Signed a guy who wanted to play for his home team. Outside of that, he did nothing special

Gillis had nothing to do with oh idk….

D Sedin

H Sedin

Kesler

Luongo

Schneider

Bieksa

Salo

Edler

Burrows

Hansen

Get out of here with the Gillis crap.

Oh and I’m sure it was easy for JB to navigate 2 expansion drafts while trying to rebuild, a flat cap, a cap recapture penalty courtesy of your boy Gillis. a basically frozen border when it came to trades at the height of the pandemic.
JB didnt lose a single RFA in negotiations through all the hurdles affecting the cap. He was never forced to give up anyone of significant value. McCann had a bad attitude and the suitcase shows that.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The only bright spot from this evening's game was the national anthem performance. The woman who sang the anthems this evening was the BEST anthem singing at a Canucks game in its entirety since the late great Richard Loney. CSE NEEDS to sign her up full-time. 

It's not April 1 any more

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Pros recognize that ketchup is a thixotropic (pseudoplastic) fluid and any impact that creates shear stress can help it find its way out of the bottle and onto where it belongs.  :wub:

Going at it with sheer stress, on the other hand... :bigblush:

• elephant 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I never said Benning did a good job, but Gillis was one of the worst in the history of the league.  Only Mike Millbury was clearly worse than that imbecile.

With the 2020 and 2021 offseasons, Benning is the equivalent of the Leaf's John Ferguson Jr of the Salary Cap Era when all this is said and done from how he approached his asset management and the Salary Cap.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I never said Benning did a good job, but Gillis was one of the worst in the history of the league.  Only Mike Millbury was clearly worse than that imbecile.

Gillis was the GM during our most successful era. That’s not arguable. He took an existing core, which was not winning, and built a supporting cast of players around that core that made the team a winner. Easily or best GM ever. 
I think everyone agrees that Benning was our worst ever. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

I was at this game and I noticed on so many Vancouver dump-ins the Kings won the race to the puck, and the Kings also won a lot of board battles. They are a really good defensive team. Vancouver gave it a good effort though, it was a good game.

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

More importantly, what if Bedard takes the shortest route to UFA and then chooses to sign with the Canuckleheads on a hometown discount while he still has prime years in his career, so that he can lift the Cup with Demko and EP40? How baffling would that be? :bigblush:

Petey will be 32 when Bedard is a UFA.  He would still be in his prime I think.  Same with Hughes.  Demko would be 34/35, so he might not be around.  Bedard, Petey and Hughes all in their prime should land us a least 2 cups...

• Like 1