The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 End of Season Milestone Watch...

Rate this topic

Just a note that we are having an unusually historic season and all of the following are probably going to happen in the last 1-4 games of the season...

Connor McDavid: 150 points: first player to do so in decades

Erik Karlsson: 100 points, first defenseman to do so in decades

Quinn Hughes: 80 points, first Canucks defenseman to do so ever

Sidney Crosby: 1,500th career point

All of these are exceptionally rare achievements.  80 points for a defenseman even not a Canuck is still pretty rare.  Only about 20 defensemen ever.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Another one is to see if McDavid can surpass 155 points. Doing so would put him past Yzerman's career high and make him the third name after Gretzky and Lemieux on the single-season highest point totals.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

44 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It makes me curious how the Norris votes pan out.  I expect Karlsson to still win it, but who will the nominees be?  And I wonder when the voting list comes out, how many Norris votes Hughes got.

I think he'll be a finalist.  He's lucky...Makar missed a decent number of games and Hedman is having an off year.  The only real knocks against Hughes are he doesn't score goals and isn't a physical force.  But he won't need goals to get votes if he's 2nd among all D in scoring...he scores so few that it might keep him from winning one...but he has more good news this year with Karlsson's +/-.  Basically the stars are aligning for him somewhat and who knows if he'll get a better chance.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Weird, I thought this would be a thread about Petey approaching 100. 

Karlsson and McDavid can jump in a lake

I think Karlsson would jump in but McDavid would whine that the water was too cold. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think he'll be a finalist.  He's lucky...Makar missed a decent number of games and Hedman is having an off year.  The only real knocks against Hughes are he doesn't score goals and isn't a physical force.  But he won't need goals to get votes if he's 2nd among all D in scoring...he scores so few that it might keep him from winning one...but he has more good news this year with Karlsson's +/-.  Basically the stars are aligning for him somewhat and who knows if he'll get a better chance.

Sorry - you think Hughes will be top three in Norris nominations?  I highly doubt it.

The problem with Hughes was that he had a poor first half of the season.  He put up points under Boudreau but didn't drive play and didn't defend well.  He obviously improved under Tocchet (although it's probably tiring skating 30 mins a game).  J.T. Miller was the same way before the coaching change.  There's a difference between driving the offense and scoring points.

I suspect defenders like Adam Fox and Josh Morrissey will be nominated with Karlsson winning.  Dark horse nominees would be... Hamilton, Lindholm, and Makar.  They've all had better seasons than Hughes, even if they've scored a couple less points.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Glad the leagues trending the way it is.   And hope expansion is finally done.  

It's something to have two defensemen flirt with 100 points back to back.  And Hughes and Makar are both just getting rolling.  It really could be the start of the old Leetch / MacInnis / Housley / Bourque / post-Oilers Coffey days again.  And there are already 17 defensemen with 50 points this year, and two more should reach it.  Ten have 60 points and two more should get there.  Remember when Pronger and Niedermayer were winning the Norris as top offensive threats from the blueline with 55 points or whatever.

Could be on our way back to not only a half dozen top dogs feasting on the opposition but another solid dozen or so guys like Fredrik Olausson / Scott Arniel / Dave Ellett / Kevin Hatcher / Doug Crossman / Tom Kurvers / Jyrki Lumme / Jeff Brown / Steve Chiasson / Calle Johansson etc. putting up respectable numbers as well.

13 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Sorry - you think Hughes will be top three in Norris nominations?  I highly doubt it.

The problem with Hughes was that he had a poor first half of the season.  He put up points under Boudreau but didn't drive play and didn't defend well.  He obviously improved under Tocchet (although it's probably tiring skating 30 mins a game).  J.T. Miller was the same way before the coaching change.  There's a difference between driving the offense and scoring points.

I suspect defenders like Adam Fox and Josh Morrissey will be nominated with Karlsson winning.  Dark horse nominees would be... Hamilton, Lindholm, and Makar.  They've all had better seasons than Hughes, even if they've scored a couple less points.

Hamilton, Morrissey and Karlsson are the only three that don't kill penalties and Hamilton and Morrissey don't have Karlsson's numbers.

Quinn Hughes has a good +/- on a crap team.  I think that will carry him into the top five and perhaps the top three.  He's also the only one of the top four offensive D that kills penalties at all.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hamilton, Morrissey and Karlsson are the only three that don't kill penalties and Hamilton and Morrissey don't have Karlsson's numbers.

Quinn Hughes has a good +/- on a crap team.  I think that will carry him into the top five and perhaps the top three.  He's also the only one of the top four offensive D that kills penalties at all.

I think Hughes will be in the top 5.  Same with Petey and the Selke.  Petey might also finish in the top 5 for the Lady Byng.

My prediction is Hughes finishes in 3rd place, behind Karlsson (1st) and Fox (2nd)...

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Hughes will be in the top 5.  Same with Petey and the Selke.  Petey might also finish in the top 5 for the Lady Byng.

My prediction is Hughes finishes in 3rd place, behind Karlsson (1st) and Fox (2nd)...

If you look at the Vancouver Canucks +/- Pettersson and Hughes look like two mountains surrounded by almost nothing but marshland.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

On 4/3/2023 at 4:15 AM, -AJ- said:

Another one is to see if McDavid can surpass 155 points. Doing so would put him past Yzerman's career high and make him the third name after Gretzky and Lemieux on the single-season highest point totals.

Pretty awesome.   I'm very grateful the younger generations get to bear witness on what McDavid is achieving.     After a couple decades of mostly vanilla stars (and nothing wrong with that), the leagues finally got a premier player again, that's a level up.    When Mario came back in the dead puck era, and older, and away from hockey for quite awhile at times, he usually proceeded to score at a gaudy pace compared to his peers, or at least pace the best at the time.   The last player to do something like this really, was Mario or Jagr.     A year  ago I compared McDavid to Stastny or Hawerchuk... i'm happy he's proving me wrong.    Also hope we haven't seen the best of him yet either.   Picking one of Mario's or Gretzky's best seasons isn't easy.   Each have a few (Mario's actually isn't his highest scoring season, rather his comeback year from cancer IMO) to choose from.     Sure would be nice to see another guy in 3 point per game realm ... just one more time, if anyone can do it, it's McDavid. 

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Hughes will get some votes but will still get overlooked by a bunch of voters and end up in the 6-8 range. I think Fox is almost guaranteed to be a finalist again and I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlin is the third. Heiskanen is another dark horse to be a finalist this season. Makar definitely missed too many games but probably still in the top 10.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I think Hughes will get some votes but will still get overlooked by a bunch of voters and end up in the 6-8 range. I think Fox is almost guaranteed to be a finalist again and I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlin is the third. Heiskanen is another dark horse to be a finalist this season. Makar definitely missed too many games but probably still in the top 10.

I would mostly agree with this assessment. Hughes hasn't finished higher than 13th in Norris voting (last year), but I think this is the year he breaks into the top 10. For my money, Makar is probably still the most deserving recipient despite his missed games, but it might allow another like Fox or Dahlin to win it. I'd have Pietrangelo as a dark horse to win it, but I don't think he has enough points to seriously garner the attention of Norris voters. Karlsson will probably at least be a finalist due to his points alone.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:36 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

If you look at the Vancouver Canucks +/- Pettersson and Hughes look like two mountains surrounded by almost nothing but marshland.

Oh whew! For a second there I thought u said Marchand.