The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will The Canucks Make the Playoffs Next Year?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That looked like a desperate attempt to seem like he wasn't concerned. Playing it up for the camera. I'm sure they have some plans but it might not be pretty and painless. There could be some jaw clenching for the fanbase depending on how they play it. Hopefully you're right though and and a couple simple moves like Boeser/Garland gets it done. Maybe they move on from Beuvillier, I think he's tradeable after his performance. 

Any word on Pearson anyone?

Doubt that it was just an appearance.

As for Pearson, I think he is done. If I was Tanner, I wouldn’t be so concerned about making it back on the ice. I would be worried about ever using that hand for things like carrying his children around. Sounds like this might be a life altering injury. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They were also overconfident about being able to move contracts last offseason.

Less talk more action.

They weren’t desperate last off season. In fact they added salary. They have a team of pros that talk to other GMs all the time. They’ll figure it out

• Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

They weren’t desperate last off season. In fact they added salary. They have a team of pros that talk to other GMs all the time. They’ll figure it out

If you mean they’ll be cap compliant I have no doubt they will be.

How they get there is a whole other story. They can talk to GMs all they want, until those deals materialize it means nothing.

Im not as confident they’ll be able to move players without paying premiums or retaining. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good comments. Here my comments on your comments.

1. I agree  the Canucks will probably acquire a good veteran backup goalie. There is a large supply this summer so it should be not hard to get someone good at a modest price. I like Delia but I think the Canucks can do better.  Silovs might be good enough to back up at the NHL level but,for developmental reasons, he should of course play big minutes in Abby as the #1 guy there unless Demmer gets injured. Martin has shown himself to be what he seemed to be before his hot streak last year: a good AHL journeyman goalie, not a guy you want as your NHL back up.Will be interesting to see where Tolopilo fits in. One possibility is Demmer and a new backup at the NHL level with Silovs and Tolopilo in Abby and Martin loaned to the ECHL and available as a depth backup (which they needed this year).

2. Agree about the D. Important to move Myers after paying his bonus if possible. There are a few teams that would benefit from using his contract to reach the cap floor without paying much actual money. Hope something will work out. You did not mention the OELephant in the room. They might buy him out but I think it is more likely he comes back for one more kick at the can. Hoping for a bounceback year. There was talk about a nagging injury this year that hurt his performance and maybe the coaching staff can help him re-invent his game as Edler did as his age. (After winning the "green jacket" -- worst +/- in the league, Edler came back to have a bunch of good years as a reliable defensive D.)

3. Yeah, the Canucks will have to move one of their high cost/ moderate value wingers. Garland or Beau might get a small return (3rd round pick?) and maybe Boeser has played well enough lately to be tradeable without giving away another asset or retaining much salary.  And we need and can expect development from the young wingers.I would not rule out Bains getting a look at some point.

4. I don't think the Canucks have any chance of drafting an NHL-ready forward., In any year only two or three guys go straight from the draft to the NHL and the Canucks won't get one of those guys unless they win the lottery. Right now the 3C spot is a hole. Dries is not good enough. Aman may grow into that role. Raty might get a look. But getting a 3C in trade or as a low-cost UFA is possible.

We need to see where the Canucks draft first. If they do get a top 5 pick, I like their chances of getting an NHL ready top 6 forward.

The OELephant in the room was not addressed because I think nothing can be done about it right now. We have to hope he recovers from his injury nicely and plays well enough to be able to move him next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Doubt that it was just an appearance.

As for Pearson, I think he is done. If I was Tanner, I wouldn’t be so concerned about making it back on the ice. I would be worried about ever using that hand for things like carrying his children around. Sounds like this might be a life altering injury. 

Either way it will make a difference how his cap affects us. Probably LTIR I would guess but that's another little wrinkle. I guess it might buy us $3.25 mil to start the season. Hopefully Pears is alright though, he's a helluva good dude.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The trading Myers after his bonus is paid plan won’t work.

His bonus is not paid out until September. Teams will be done spending and building their rosters then and focusing on training camp.

Unless you wanna pay to dump him to a rebuilding team I don’t see it happening. Earliest Myers moves is the trade deadline most likely.

Boeser might be able to be moved with a little bit of retention. Beauvillier could be moved but why would we? He can likely produce top 6 numbers on an affordable contract.

This is why I’ve been saying a Miller trade will likely be the only option they’re left with.

You may or may not be right. I’m not sure. 

I just want to say I’m okay with moving anybody but Pettersson, Hughes, Hronek, Kuzmenko and Demko.

I would listen to all offers on everyone else.

It’s kinda funny. A year ago I would have listened to offers for Pettersson too, but he won me over this year.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If you mean they’ll be cap compliant I have no doubt they will be.

How they get there is a whole other story. They can talk to GMs all they want, until those deals materialize it means nothing.

Im not as confident they’ll be able to move players without paying premiums or retaining. 

Yeah I agree it's definitely going to be a challenge. It will be real interesting though how they go about it. Who knows maybe the market opens up a bit somehow. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree it's definitely going to be a challenge. It will be real interesting though how they go about it. Who knows maybe the market opens up a bit somehow. 

The good news is he plays a position that is usually in high demand. And this years free agent market is thin.

The bad news is he’s overpaid by about 2 million dollars. But with only one year remaining he represents a low risk acquisition.

I think if they retain 1-2 mil on his final year they’ll be able to move him.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Any word on Pearson anyone?

I don't think there's been an update since the one from Dhaliwal a few weeks ago, you may have seen it, Dhaliwal said his ability to play next season is in doubt. 

“Pearson’s recovery, I’m told, long, long way to go. They still do not yet know if he’s going to play next year. Also hearing he’s not done with surgeries. I’ve got him at five surgeries so far, and the word right now folks is most likely he’s not done with surgeries. The infection in his hand has called all the problems and the length of the injury. He has a PICC line.” 

A PICC line, according to the Mayo Clinic, is “a long, thin tube that’s inserted through a vein in your arm and passed through to the larger veins near your heart.”
“A PICC line gives your doctor access to the large central veins near the heart. It’s generally used to give medications or liquid nutrition,” according to the Mayo Clinic.

Poor guy has been through hell, is still going through hell, it feels like his career is in serious jeopardy. 5 surgeries so far and more to come. And that PICC line. Damn.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No but the Canucks are the ones in the desperate cap situation.

Any contender is not likely gonna be able to fit him in without retention.

Any team with lots of cap space is gonna ask for a premium to dump him. Not to mention he will probably have alot of those teams on his list.

He can definitely be traded but it won’t be nearly as easy as people think.

I wouldn't look at it as contenders and not contenders, that's a trade deadline consideration.  

There should be about 10 teams looking to get better on the right side defense. They will have the option of 5-6 very average RHDs that will be looking for term in free agency. 

I see Matt Dumba, Damon Stevenson, and Ryan Graves getting some big numbers and big term this summer. Wouldn't be shocked to see some 5 x 5 deals this summer for the handful of top RHDs. 

We will see what happens, we're all speculating and guessing. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

ICYMI:

Foote is a beauty.  No different than the Sedins really-has the experience and is a student of the game.  He did an interview awhile back about how excited he is to be coaching the Canucks which is cool.  

Canucks org has a really good knowledge base and I like what they are building here.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Devron said:

I won’t be making any predictions for next year. I think that’s best. I’m optimistic and hopeful but that’s all

Yup. What's that saying? Once bitten twice shy? I'm hopeful for next year but I've been fooled before.  Last year, actually lol.

• Upvote 1