The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils sign Luke Hughes

24 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

#43 is a lucky number of Hughes

They do seem to like 43. Jack Hughes is 86, which is 43x2. Quinn and Luke obviously seem fond of 43. I wonder what number they'd use if they were all on the same team. Lol. Quinn said he likes the number 6 in one of the NHL personality videos. Jack said he likes the number 43 in that same video. Interesting family, I think Jack is my fav of the brothers. He seems so happy and bubbly. Must be a middle sibling thing B)

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Bigger Quinn :ph34r: Imagine if we tanked properly. We could be looking at a world where we have all 3 Hughes brothers. Instead, we're in the timeline where New Jersey is most likely to end up with all 3. I really hope we can keep Quinn for his whole career though. Maybe we can poach Jack when his 8 year deal expires. Patience my friends.

Canucks don't know the meaning of Tank

They do know the meaning of not showing up most of the season and only start to play well when it's too late or the games are meaningless :emot-parrot:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Hmmm wonder if they would take OEL and our Hughes for couple good young guys and a 1st.  LOL   

Our Hughes ain't going nowhere we got one of the best in the league! 

Jack Hughes and his near 100 pt season says that's debatable 

A lot of people saying Luke will be the best brother. That's nuts considering one is about a 100pt scorer and the other should be nominated for a Norris, and both are captain material.

Will be interesting to watch him steal some minutes off their bottom pairing. Surely they'll expect him to take Graves' job next year and play 18-20 minutes a night and probably win the Calder, and then the next year just watch him become a PPG defenceman with Nemec in the fold too. That is a scary defence but that's how you build a contender - acquire star defencemen in their prime (Hamilton), trade a bit of crap youth for young defencemen (Marino) spend high picks of D-men (Luke and Nemec) and then flesh things out with guys like Graves and Seigenthaler. They are so stacked on D they could ice two teams of defencemen and still the second would be better than ours.

With Lukes debut and Nemec growing in the AHL, there will be some change in Jerseys D next year.

Who has to go? Graves and Severson?

Or will Luke Hughes make Hamilton expendable? Hamilton would take a lot of interest on the market and the return would be huge.

On 4/9/2023 at 7:29 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

A lot of people saying Luke will be the best brother. That's nuts considering one is about a 100pt scorer and the other should be nominated for a Norris, and both are captain material.

Will be interesting to watch him steal some minutes off their bottom pairing. Surely they'll expect him to take Graves' job next year and play 18-20 minutes a night and probably win the Calder, and then the next year just watch him become a PPG defenceman with Nemec in the fold too. That is a scary defence but that's how you build a contender - acquire star defencemen in their prime (Hamilton), trade a bit of crap youth for young defencemen (Marino) spend high picks of D-men (Luke and Nemec) and then flesh things out with guys like Graves and Seigenthaler. They are so stacked on D they could ice two teams of defencemen and still the second would be better than ours.

Even Quinn was suggesting last year that Jack will ‘be the best’ of them. 

Thats saying something coming from Quinn. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What an OT goal, this kid may well win the Calder and be up there in Norris chat next year. He's got the skating of Quinn, a pretty decent shot and a frame like Myers.

Will be interesting to see if Nemec is this good too.

I have no doubt about Calder conversation. 

Bedard may end up getting it though. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What an OT goal, this kid may well win the Calder and be up there in Norris chat next year. He's got the skating of Quinn, a pretty decent shot and a frame like Myers.

Will be interesting to see if Nemec is this good too.

Pretty unreal goal for a first from his brother in OT jheeeez

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I have no doubt about Calder conversation. 

Bedard may end up getting it though. 

It'll be juicy, if Bedard is anything like McDavid, he may go and score around a PPG rate in his first year. That's decent, but I wouldn't be surprised if Luke drops 50-60 points next year and 20+ minutes a night. To me that's more important. Plus, Hughes is playing on a decent team so his stats will be really inflated whereas Bedard is going to suck somewhere for a while. I think Luke edges Bedard next year, but after that it'll be 100pt season one after the other for Connor.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Even Quinn was suggesting last year that Jack will ‘be the best’ of them. 

Thats saying something coming from Quinn. 

Yeah who knows how high his ceiling is. He can really skate well, moves the puck confidently, give him 5 years as he turns from boy to man and he will just dominate this league a bit the way Hedman did in his prime, dropping 70-80 point seasons and crushing guys defensively. Not many defencemen can do it all - shoot well, skate well, pass well, defend and hit well. Hedman's one of the few who come to mind, Josi in his prime (but not very consistently) and obviously the big guns like Lidstrom and Duncan Keith to an extent. I know he's got a long way to go but if he's better and bigger than Quinn we could be looking at a consistent Norris candidate here. 

Would be great if one year the two of them get nominated together.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 6:52 PM, N7Nucks said:

They do seem to like 43. Jack Hughes is 86, which is 43x2. Quinn and Luke obviously seem fond of 43. I wonder what number they'd use if they were all on the same team. Lol. Quinn said he likes the number 6 in one of the NHL personality videos. Jack said he likes the number 43 in that same video. Interesting family, I think Jack is my fav of the brothers. He seems so happy and bubbly. Must be a middle sibling thing B)

The brothers keep using similar numbers over the years from 43 to 86 and 6. I know that their father wore number 6 in his college days. So I guess there’s a relevant connection with #6 in the family too…

Their mom wore #5 when she played for Team USA. 

Could contain: Hockey, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Stick, Rink, Skating, Sport, Clothing, Glove, Helmet, Person

Edited by Crimson-JH