The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Hirose made some nice passes to soft areas for team mates to skate into.  Some passes looked a little weak and slow, but he was mobile, engaged and looks like he belongs.

McWard is definitely a player with rising stock the more he plays.  Good mobility but not too quick.  The game seemed to move too fast for him at times, but another year of development in the pro game and we've got ourselves a serviceable bottom pairing guy next year.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Hirose made some nice passes to soft areas for team mates to skate into.  Some passes looked a little weak and slow, but he was mobile, engaged and looks like he belongs.

McWard is definitely a player with rising stock the more he plays.  Good mobility but not too quick.  The game seemed to move too fast for him at times, but another year of development in the pro game and we've got ourselves a serviceable bottom pairing guy next year.

I think this is going to be our last year with OEL. If I were management I'd give him next year to figure his shit out. If not, we've already proven he can be easily replaced with a League minimum player. 

If he's bought out after next season we'd be stuck with 6 years of 2m dead cap. I think that's easier to live with than 3 years of 8m dead cap if he place. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

I am definitely liking what I'm seeing in Hirose and Ward too in his limited minutes had his moments tonight along with his goal played quite well. 

Curious what Hirose Hronek would look like. 

I was impressed by Hirose playing in OT. Says a lot about what the coaches think of him. Tocchet said as much post game. He is logging PP & PK time. These games will get him a long look next fall. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was impressed by Hirose playing in OT. Says a lot about what the coaches think of him. Tocchet said as much post game. He is logging PP & PK time. These games will get him a long look next fall. 

Hirose is our #2 LSD. He will be an excellent partner for Hronek. Pushes OEL to bottom pairing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Ok, I'm going to get roasted for this. This is the issue I have with Tocchet. He wants player buy in to his system, no shortcuts, blah, blah, blah. Who gets benched in the third? Kuzmenko? He isn't playing the right way, or Tocchets' way. So who messed up on the tying goal none other than Quinn Hughes and JT Miller. The two of them were on the boards waiting for each other to take the puck and the Flame guys comes in and scoops it up and the game is tied. Were they benched? Of course not. This is no different than what Kuzmenko did while trying to get the puck out of the Canucks zone, none whatsoever. 

Player credibility, for which players, and when is all I'm asking. The kid is approaching 40 goals, the Canucks are in a meaningless game, yet we continue to see JT Miller turn the puck over on the power play more often than not, and make blind passes off the wall into the middle of the ice in many games. Tocchet can talk all he wants about having players buy into his system but, when the so-called leaders of the team do it as often, and get away with it without any retribution or discipline then what is this system he keeps talking about?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, EB43 said:

Yeah I just saw the comment he made, kind of a cheap shot when he wasn’t even directly asked, aggravating… we’ve been better without him.  Enjoy having a fanbase turn on you when they realize how overpaid you are.  No longer will be cheering for him.   

Typical cheap media BS. Bo was asked about playing in the post season and his comment was better than Vancouver where he saw what? 2 post seasons? I highly doubt he was dissing Vancouver. 

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah what stood out to me was when the going got tough and Flames turned it up, our bigger guys like Joshua and Miller were ok and matched the flames battle level but the smaller guys were on their heels and basically was in survival mode just trying to get the puck out. 

Our defence also showed weakness during those moments and Demko made some crazy saves. 

I wonder what a healthy Hronek and OEL would do in terms of bringing stability to the team... 

Against playoff teams, it still looks like Demko has to have a great game for the canucks to win our at least have a chance to win. I really wish we could have seen what a defense corp including Hronek, OEL would have looked like tonight. 

Post TDL my biggest disappointment was not seeing more of Hronek. Canucks still need another top 4 d-man with the assumption that Meyers is gone. He has played better lately and his size is a benefit but not top 4. Bear is not top 4. Hoping for a couple of trades this summer and a good draft pick. Fall will be very interesting. Like to go to Penticton this year.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Players make mistakes. Even Bobby Orr made mistakes. The issue with Kuz Missile is he loses his focus on playing the right way. It’s not about a mistake here and there (which all players have) It’s about commitment to playing the right way consistently. Kuz gets trapped on the wrong side of the puck a lot. He turns away from contact. He strays from straight line play. He makes high risk - low reward plays with the puck. 
Yet in the shootout who does Tocchet tap on the shoulder? Kuz Missile. Tocchet knows the elite skill Kuz has can’t be taught. But to play the right way can. He’s teaching Kuz how to play winning hockey. 

Alf, he makes no more or no less mistakes or turnovers than the Boeser's, the Millers, or the Pettersson's on the Canuck roster. I'm not buying what Tocchet is selling that's all.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

As always on point...

McWard certainly finding his feet now. The goal aside he looked far more engaged and not so overawed as in the last game. Hirose looks like a LH carbon copy of Tanev. So composed in all situations. Amazing to think he has only played a handful of NHL games.

As bad as Myers is, he was the only Dman really able to clear the crease and hold flames players at distance, when they started to put on the pressure... Unless we get more size on the backend, they won't survive play offs games.

And finally Kuz... yes was thinking the exact same thing. For whatever reason, Tocchet has broken up the Petey Kuz partnership, and it didn't really work for neither. 

Kuz is a 26 year old seasoned pro, who has been scoring for fun... not some teenager. Tough love is fine, but don't go overboard with it.

Finally, as much as I love to see us beat the flames and put a dent into their playoffs hopes, can't help feeling we are slipping further and further away from a lucky punt at the top 2-3 players in the draft... :sadno:

Tochett wants more out of Kuz on the d-side which any player will likely understand. That doesn't mean it is easy for him and changing will take time and work. 

The Tank. I find it laughable about the tank/non-tank debate on here. Strange that Montreal, Washington, Philly, ANA, SJS etc all are obviously tanking with little comment. Apparently their players aren't as sensitive to losses as they play the season out as Vancouver players? HNIC crew were busy chirping about how Montreal will be a playoff team next year. One of the strongest drafts in years and the Canucks are playing their way out of stronger draft position. As in past years many fans are over estimating the potential of what player potential is. Obviously better than it was but still a ways to go. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think this is going to be our last year with OEL. If I were management I'd give him next year to figure his shit out. If not, we've already proven he can be easily replaced with a League minimum player. 

If he's bought out after next season we'd be stuck with 6 years of 2m dead cap. I think that's easier to live with than 3 years of 8m dead cap if he place. 

If OELs foot issue disappears and doesn’t affect his play he is no.3 on the team.

That is a bit higher thanleague minimum.

Not over seven mill but around 4-5 mill.

You don’t get rid of him and get dead cap just for the sake if it. That’s just foolish.

Edited by Timråfan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Tochett wants more out of Kuz on the d-side which any player will likely understand. That doesn't mean it is easy for him and changing will take time and work. 

The Tank. I find it laughable about the tank/non-tank debate on here. Strange that Montreal, Washington, Philly, ANA, SJS etc all are obviously tanking with little comment. Apparently their players aren't as sensitive to losses as they play the season out as Vancouver players? HNIC crew were busy chirping about how Montreal will be a playoff team next year. One of the strongest drafts in years and the Canucks are playing their way out of stronger draft position. As in past years many fans are over estimating the potential of what player potential is. Obviously better than it was but still a ways to go. 

Tocchet want his players to play a certain style, and rightfully so. We saw under BB, how we fare, if we don't defend as a team. 

Still, at the same time, we have had a bit of gold fall into our lap, and don't want to ruin his joy of playing here... 

its a fine balance though, and as we saw with Trym (speculation, I know) handing them a video and telling them, this is how you should play, could ruin their desire to continue their career here... But yes, I will take time, work and patience...

The thing with the tank is, you can't expect players not play for their futures... Garland, Boeser, Joshua etc. are all playing for their futures. Miller doesn't know, if he will still be around once the drafted players actually can contribute meaningfully, while Petey and Quinn just wants to set records... So how anyone would expect them to suck purposely is amazing. That doesn't stop me , as a fan, hoping we stay in the sweepstakes for the ultimate prize... 

I do think management could have reduced QHs and EPs ice time or played the reserve goalies more, but I'm not a coach, and if I am brutally honest, my knowledge of team building, doesn't even cover the scrapings under Tocchet pinky nail...  

JR knows, how to build a team, and if they are happy with Tocchets approach, then he must be doing something right, despite what forum posters think. :)

Edited by spook007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Ok, I'm going to get roasted for this. This is the issue I have with Tocchet. He wants player buy in to his system, no shortcuts, blah, blah, blah. Who gets benched in the third? Kuzmenko? He isn't playing the right way, or Tocchets' way. So who messed up on the tying goal none other than Quinn Hughes and JT Miller. The two of them were on the boards waiting for each other to take the puck and the Flame guys comes in and scoops it up and the game is tied. Were they benched? Of course not. This is no different than what Kuzmenko did while trying to get the puck out of the Canucks zone, none whatsoever. 

Player credibility, for which players, and when is all I'm asking. The kid is approaching 40 goals, the Canucks are in a meaningless game, yet we continue to see JT Miller turn the puck over on the power play more often than not, and make blind passes off the wall into the middle of the ice in many games. Tocchet can talk all he wants about having players buy into his system but, when the so-called leaders of the team do it as often, and get away with it without any retribution or discipline then what is this system he keeps talking about?

Hopefully not another coach afraid to hold miller accountable.  Im not really sure why Kuz is his chosen target.  

1 hour ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

It was a petty shot at Canuck fans for the sake of trying to look good during his mediocre time with islanders.

Definitely the Captain we didn't need.

I don't blame him at all.  He's right

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hirose is our #2 LSD. He will be an excellent partner for Hronek. Pushes OEL to bottom pairing. 

Not quite sure about this yet, but he definitely has show Tanev like calmness... I think he'll get another season on the 3rd line/Abby (unless he blows the doors off), but he is going to become a main stay on this Nucks team.

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Habs have no chance for the playoffs for a long time. They have no goaltending. They have no high end players. They wasted their 1OA last draft on a bustaroo bonsais. 

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not quite sure about this yet, but he definitely has show Tanev like calmness... I think he'll get another season on the 3rd line/Abby (unless he blows the doors off), but he is going to become a main stay on this Nucks team.

Hirose is 24. He’s not a young prospect. He’s the perfect partner for Hronek. And he’s cheap. We have Besr to play with Hughes. Excellent top four. Buyout OEL. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1