The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I hate RT, think he was a scumbag player and probably not a great have man being.  But I said I would be open minded of he could come in and institute a good defensive system and get buy in, and he has.  For that, I am happy.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But I'd take prime Tocchet over some scuzzy punk like MT, any day. 

At least he'd back stuff up. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO Bruce would be the ideal coach for the Flames. They’d go from hard nosed Sutter to happy, play free-wheeling, Bruce. 

The whole coaching dynamic is kind of fascinating.  The coaching "bump".  What is it exactly?  Does it work every time or does it depend on what system the new coach is trying to instill? 

I agree that BB would probably be the best type of coach for Calgary, right after years of the Sutter treatment.  That initial rush of adrenaline, and sense of freedom when you go from a disciplinarian to a player's coach who loves free wheelin hockey and tells his players that having fun is the most important thing they can do.  To just trust their instincts, and always of course have fun....like BB did for Boeser's game.

I think that right after a more disciplinarian systems coach...like Sutter, and like Green here,, players may be less happy but they have more built in defensive habits. These habits take a while to fall off even if the new coach is not that concerned and lets you freewheel. So you kind of get the advantages of both systems at once for a certain period of time.  In Washington, BB followed Glen Hanlon, a goalie during his time in the NHL. So he most likely tried to implement a more boring system geared to protecting the goalie.  After BB's first year he won the Jack Adams, and a couple seasons in they won the Presidents Trophy.  But that kind of style is unsustainable and it took the disciplinarian Barry Trotz to take them to the promised land after teaching Ovi about playing a 200 foot game.

So as any more pond hockey coached team plays more and the D side of the game gets  blurrier, without any ongoing pressure to do so, that part talis off and you find out you can't sustain your standing by scoring yourself out of trouble anymore.   Happened early on this season here.   BB would definitely stoke the Flames.  But it would be temporary. It always is with this kind of coach. It could guarantee they'd at least be a playoff team next season though. (So I'd rather they not get him)

• There it is 1

23 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, we can't still hope until July 1.

Significant salary has to be moved, which means significant players who think they're not going anywhere are, indeed, going somewhere else to continue their careers

You speak "The TRUTH" !

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

And this is exactly why our owner needs to keep his snout out of hockey decisions. Saravelli reported that JR wanted to move on from Bruce last summer but the owner said no. The mess that followed during the season was predicted by management. Our owner got in the way. 
We all loved Bruce. But clearly he needed to be replaced last summer, when JR wanted to. 

Are you talking about the same "deaf " owner that resigned JB & TG into their last contract after years of failure and Fans screaming to get them out of here?   Oh, that Owner!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Are you talking about the same "deaf " owner that resigned JB & TG into their last contract after years of failure and Fans screaming to get them out of here?   Oh, that Owner!

Yup. The same owner who supported the many new ideas Gillis had to get the best out of the players. IMHAO we do have a good owner, he just developed an arrogance about his hockey knowledge because he saw himself as involved in the success Gillis had. Our owner actually fired our most successful GM ever and replaced him with our worst ever. And did that because the most successful GM wanted to rebuild the core and the owner thought he knew better. It’s why we had the whole Bruce fiasco this season. If our owner would just stay out of hockey decisions then JR would have replaced Bruce last summer. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vermette9 said:

Hoping oel has a strong off-season and comes in tip top shape . Him and hronek could be a deadly pairing. I knew something was off with him.  You don't just drop off a cliff being that talented of a hockey player. He's scored 20 goals in this league. I think  we see a way better oel next year

13 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree. He's actually a solid player, despite his cap hit. 

I'm giving him next year to heal and to prove himself..... 

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

But were OEL's struggles due to a bad foot or bad decision-making? ...

12 hours ago, spook007 said:

This.... I was impressed to see him several times go straight into the fight ....

There is a lot of discussion of OEL in this thread. And for good reason, In my opinion the question of what to do with OEL (keep or buy out) is the biggest off-season decision for the Canucks. (I am not counting the "decision" of whether to trade Miller. I am pretty sure that is not happening.)

If they buy out OEL that opens up a lot of cap space next year, but at high long term cost. But, as I pointed out in another thread, the Canucks do not actually "need" to shed salary. They could actually stand pat with the current roster and would even have a small amount to upgrade the 3C slot.

I remember when OEL hurt his foot at last summer's IIHF world championships and thinking "I hope that does not mess up his season". There was a lot of speculation that the injury was hampering him this season and OEL's comments in the presser seem to confirm that. 

The thing is, he was actually very good the previous season. Not 7.3 million good, but definitely a high quality top-4 D who was good at both ends of the ice and on special teams. As @Vermette9 says, players do not usually decline as quickly as he did this year unless injury is involved.

If OEL returns to his form of the previous year, or close to it, he would be better than anyone the Canucks could sign even if they had 4 or 5 million in extra cap space.

I was hoping the hear more about his summer. I would have liked to hear that he is going to stay in Vancouver for most of the summer and work to improve (or restore) his skating with the help of the Canuck skating coach.  I also would like to hear him take more personal responsibility for the Canucks poor start and show some awareness of what he needed to do to have a better year next year.  

So I was a bit disappointed in his comments but I would be inclined to keep him for next year. If he has another bad year, then it will obviously be time for a buy out the following summer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. The same owner who supported the many new ideas Gillis had to get the best out of the players. IMHAO we do have a good owner, he just developed an arrogance about his hockey knowledge because he saw himself as involved in the success Gillis had. Our owner actually fired our most successful GM ever and replaced him with our worst ever. And did that because the most successful GM wanted to rebuild the core and the owner thought he knew better. It’s why we had the whole Bruce fiasco this season. If our owner would just stay out of hockey decisions then JR would have replaced Bruce last summer. 

Gillis did a lot of good things for the team, but the price he had paid, which was the Canucks future, should always be acknowledged. It was very expensive. He showed his true colours when the core was in decline. You can tell because he drafted poorly. You can't build a team without a good draft.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Gillis did a lot of good things for the team, but the price he had paid, which was the Canucks future, should always be acknowledged. It was very expensive. He showed his true colours when the core was in decline. You can tell because he drafted poorly. You can't build a team without a good draft.

He should have revamped our armature scouting department for sure. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He should have revamped our armature scouting department for sure. 

MG did great when he took over the team and made a couple good moves.But like the owners he signed players to long.A couple trades could have helped yet they didn't happen.His group didn't have a clue how to draft.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, JamesB said:

There is a lot of discussion of OEL in this thread. And for good reason, In my opinion the question of what to do with OEL (keep or buy out) is the biggest off-season decision for the Canucks. (I am not counting the "decision" of whether to trade Miller. I am pretty sure that is not happening.)

If they buy out OEL that opens up a lot of cap space next year, but at high long term cost. But, as I pointed out in another thread, the Canucks do not actually "need" to shed salary. They could actually stand pat with the current roster and would even have a small amount to upgrade the 3C slot.

I remember when OEL hurt his foot at last summer's IIHF world championships and thinking "I hope that does not mess up his season". There was a lot of speculation that the injury was hampering him this season and OEL's comments in the presser seem to confirm that. 

The thing is, he was actually very good the previous season. Not 7.3 million good, but definitely a high quality top-4 D who was good at both ends of the ice and on special teams. As @Vermette9 says, players do not usually decline as quickly as he did this year unless injury is involved.

If OEL returns to his form of the previous year, or close to it, he would be better than anyone the Canucks could sign even if they had 4 or 5 million in extra cap space.

I was hoping the hear more about his summer. I would have liked to hear that he is going to stay in Vancouver for most of the summer and work to improve (or restore) his skating with the help of the Canuck skating coach.  I also would like to hear him take more personal responsibility for the Canucks poor start and show some awareness of what he needed to do to have a better year next year.  

So I was a bit disappointed in his comments but I would be inclined to keep him for next year. If he has another bad year, then it will obviously be time for a buy out the following summer.

OEL will be just fine this upcoming year. 

I just hope they move him away from Myers. 

OEL + Hronek would be ideal as the unofficial top pairing. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Minny bought out two guys, who were preventing the team from moving forward. Now that club is looking much better than before. The only cost certain move is to buyout OEL. Otherwise it’s hoping he can return to at least a bottom pairing player. 

We don’t need do it now.  The team is moving forward regardless.  We should be making moves that support the current group not ensuring that their future is damaged before we even get there.  

Unless we have a one year window, there is absolutely no reason that OEL should be bought out this summer.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OEL will be just fine this upcoming year. 

I just hope they move him away from Myers. 

OEL + Hronek would be ideal as the unofficial top pairing. 

If OEL can play well enough to match up against the other teams’ top guys (with Hronek carrying him, of course) then that would free up Hughes to dominate even more. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

We don’t need do it now.  The team is moving forward regardless.  We should be making moves that support the current group not ensuring that their future is damaged before we even get there.  

Unless we have a one year window, there is absolutely no reason that OEL should be bought out this summer.

Likely this is what happens. OEL is paid over 10 million next season. That will leave our owner with a 10 million dollar buyout summer 2024. Saves him 10 mil. Even with Myers, I don’t see our owner paying the 5 mil bonus and then signing off on a trade. He’s a good owner (mostly) but that’s 15 million dollars he can save. 
So I see our D as this to start next season:

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Wolanin, Myers

Burroughs

Id prefer we don’t have OEL and Myers but accept that is likely not to be the case. It’s too much money out the door for our owner. 
TDL 2024 we will move Myers.

Summer 2024 we will buyout OEL. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Time for Pearson to retire. 

Hand injuries like that never are the same. 

5 plus surgeries seems like a rebuild and we know how that goes.

He can’t retire. He won’t get paid then. He’s got one season left on his contract. He can go back on LTIR for his final season. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Minny bought out two guys, who were preventing the team from moving forward. Now that club is looking much better than before. The only cost certain move is to buyout OEL. Otherwise it’s hoping he can return to at least a bottom pairing player. 

FA didn’t want to buyout LE.  What makes you think he’ll want to buyout OEL???

• Vintage 1