The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was thinking Leo Carlsson, Pavel Mintyukov and a 2024 1st unprotected...

Sooo... you're ok with been a Duck?  Do think they had some pretty cool ones over the years ... Selanne number one, then Kariya, followed by Pronger and Niedermayer (in no particular order for the last two).     I'd still take McTavish.  He's the guy I hoped we'd be drafting before JB traded his pick to ARI for OEL and Garland.   Super ugly dude.   That's good at hockey.  How about instead McTavish, Carlsson and then an unprotected first.    McTavish is the new Mike Ricci, but has more skills. 

Edit: Im only laughing because of your  handle.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I don’t think he will sign soon but I hope he does.  You could see last year that his body had matured and he took a big step in strength.  It was very much like the year the Sedins went from baby faced kids to these hard grown up men and started dominating.

He was able to win battles that he couldn’t when he first came into the league.

I think Petterson is going to take another jump in performance and it would be nice to have him locked up before he is a finalist for the Selke.

I take Petterson over Matthews any day of the week and that isn’t homerism to me.  A guy with his offensive tool kit with that defence awareness is special.  If he had an elite winger on his line it would be something special. 

I think Petey and Kuzy are going to be dynamic this coming year.  And now they can throw a healthy Mikheyev on the wing to be the defensive force and retrieve the pucks.  I would even try Podkolzin on that line.  Dude shaved his head and now looks like Petey's brother.  They could be dynamic together...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Sooo... you're ok with been a Duck?  Do think they had some pretty cool ones over the years ... Selanne number one, then Kariya, followed by Pronger and Niedermayer (in no particular order for the last two).     I'd still take McTavish.  He's the guy I hoped we'd be drafting before JB traded his pick to ARI for OEL and Garland.   Super ugly dude.   That's good at hockey.  How about instead McTavish, Carlsson and then an unprotected first.    McTavish is the new Mike Ricci, but has more skills. 

I think Petey would love LA.  He could be the MAN.  If the Canucks really wanted to open up some cap space for the next few years then this would be the way to do it.  

Carlsson could be another Petey, but there is major risk that he is not.  Demko then gets traded and Silovs is our #1.  Hughes probably leaves as well.  Damn, we are in rebuilding mode...  :frantic:

Maybe I'll stick around after all...   ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Petey and Kuzy are going to be dynamic this coming year.  And now they can throw a healthy Mikheyev on the wing to be the defensive force and retrieve the pucks.  I would even try Podkolzin on that line.  Dude shaved his head and now looks like Petey's brother.  They could be dynamic together...

EP needs a smasher puck retriever on his line.   Podz is going to get there, Mikheyev is going to do great next season with those two if that's where Tochett decides to put him.  Podz will too.    

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Petey would love LA.  He could be the MAN.  If the Canucks really wanted to open up some cap space for the next few years then this would be the way to do it.  

Carlsson could be another Petey, but there is major risk that he is not.  Demko then gets traded and Silovs is our #1.  Hughes probably leaves as well.  Damn, we are in rebuilding mode...  :frantic:

Maybe I'll stick around after all...   ^_^

LA can go suck rocks.   The only time I liked them was when Gretzky was there. That's about it.   Hrudey with his blue bandana.  That was cool too despite all the flopping around.    

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Prior to signing his current contract, Matthews had never scored more than 40 goals, and his highest points were 73. Marner had just peaked with 26 goals and 93 points.

I’m not disagreeing that Dubas went way too high for both of them at the time. But with the cap set to start skyrocketing next year, if EP40 is going to sign an 8-year deal, I suspect it will be in the $11M range.

If Petey sign for 8 years his cap allocation will be at least 12. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edit: Im only laughing because of your  handle.  

Meh, I could always change my handle to Leo Carlsson. He’s Swedish so all good. I gain an extra 7 years before I need to retire from CDC. 

There is no loyalty anymore anyways. Out with old, in with the new…  :)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Petey sign for 8 years his cap allocation will be at least 12. 

If so then he's going to have to have at least six years of 100 plus points to make it worth it, and that's with his d game.    That's a lot of money, even with the cap going up.   Even with our taxes, not sure why he's earned more than Pasta did.   10.5-11 is a fair deal, 12 is awfully high.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If so then he's going to have to have at least six years of 100 plus points to make it worth it, and that's with his d game.    That's a lot of money, even with the cap going up.   Even with our taxes, not sure why he's earned more than Pasta did.   10.5-11 is a fair deal, 12 is awfully high.   

I think, we should be prepared for $12M... hoping for £11-11.5M, but Petey will want to be paid, and rightfully so... He is the face of this franchise and will be for many years to come.....hopefully...

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I think, we should be prepared for $12M... hoping for £11-11.5M, but Petey will want to be paid, and rightfully so... He is the face of this franchise and will be for many years to come.....hopefully...

Spook, I’m not sure what your exchange rate is but I like your numbers even more…   :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Spook, I’m not sure what your exchange rate is but I like your numbers even more…   :)

Oops.... I just bankrupted the franchise ($14.3-15M)....  I'll take my calculator and jacket and see myself out....:frantic:

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, D-Money said:

Prior to signing his current contract, Matthews had never scored more than 40 goals, and his highest points were 73. Marner had just peaked with 26 goals and 93 points.

I’m not disagreeing that Dubas went way too high for both of them at the time. But with the cap set to start skyrocketing next year, if EP40 is going to sign an 8-year deal, I suspect it will be in the $11M range.

Matthews broke the franchise’s rookie goals total and is only the 16th player in league’s history to reach 40 goals in his rookie season. Not sure if that is warrant of his contract, but it’s certainly remarkable for a player at 18/19. 

I think the best case scenario for both parties is they agree on a 9.5m-10.5m deal/5yrs, because that’s what he’s worth right now. This gives Pettersson another chance of a bigger contract when it expires, and also gives him an idea where the state of the franchise is, at that point. If he wants to re-sign or go the a contender in FA.

On the flip side, if Pettersson continues to improve from his 100 points season. He’ll be a bargain for 5 more years. 

Edited by shiznak

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

If he wants 12mil I say trade him. Unpopular opinion but he's not worth 12mil. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Matthews broke the franchise’s rookie goals total and is only the 16th player in league’s history to reach 40 goals in his rookie season. Not sure if that is warrant of his contract, but it’s certainly remarkable for a player at 18/19. 

I think the best case scenario for both parties is they agree on a 9.5m-10.5m deal/5yrs, because that’s what he’s worth right now. This gives Pettersson another chance of a bigger contract when it expires, and also gives him an idea where the state of the franchise is, at that point. If he wants to re-sign or go the a contender in FA.

On the flip side, if Pettersson continues to improve from his 100 points season. He’ll be a bargain for 5 more years. 

A 5-year deal may not be a bad idea. Because, unless there is some significant success in the next 4 years, it will be time to blow it up and start over at that point.

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

how does he “earn” more than pasta? Like u said after tax he’s making 2+ mil less. Factoring in 1 is a center 1 is a winger and he’d only broke 100 point for the 1st time in his career

6 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If he wants 12mil I say trade him. Unpopular opinion but he's not worth 12mil. 

Who knows? It may be the end result...

I think, that the big question really is, how much the cap is going to increase over the next 8 years. 
if it goes up by $4M next year and continue is rise, $12M may not be a bad deal after 2-3 years. 
He is the face of the franchise, and will be for years to come. 
JR/PA are driving a hard bargain, and don't bend backwards like Benning did. They may even put negotiations on hold to see Petey replica last season before setting a number.  

I'm not for trading Petey, as I think, as we are starting to assemble a good team. Trading Petey, to me at least, means rebuilding. Don't want that, unless a Carlsson with a few juicy add on are involved, and even then I'm apprehensive. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

how does he “earn” more than pasta? Like u said after tax he’s making 2+ mil less. Factoring in 1 is a center 1 is a winger and he’d only broke 100 point for the 1st time in his career

"Even with our taxes, not sure he's earned more then Pasta" ... is what you're referring too.  

Pastrnak has produced at a much higher level than EP has so far in his career, certainly scoring a lot more goals.   He's 26, just scored 60 and 113 points, 

most years that's good enough for a Hart, Richard and Pearson  (See Mathews).    No I'm not sure EPs done more, not sure he has earned more then Pasta's 11.25, even with the tax differences.    Are you?    By the time he was 20, he was outproducing EP.   And did make the team as an 18 year old.   The position is a valid consideration.    Goals of course, weighted higher too.     Pasta giveaways are gaudy though, this year anyways.    Still think 10.5-11 is fair.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1