The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van-Arz Van-Chicago (Proposals)

Trade 1 (At the draft) Chicago

Connor Murphy

Tampa's 2023-1st (Could be a 2023-2nd or we add a 3rd?)

for 

Johnathon Lekkerimaki

Jack Rathbone

Lekkerimaki was drafted 15th overall in the 2022 NHL Draft. He had been sick, and still had enough stock to be drafted that high, having fallen from a consolidated ranking of about 7th OA, his sickness followed him into this season, resulting in a poor season. But, by the end of the season, he had rebounded, and had a playoff where he scored at just over a point per game, playing against men in the Allsvenskan (sp?) . IMO, even in the short time at this rate, it points out just how good he can be. If you argue he was a 15th pick and had that value, then sure, Tampa's 1st rounder may need to down graded to a 2nd, but if you believe his value is more inline with his earlier rankings (aka 7th OA) then, the suggested trade is much more in line with what the ask should be. (Does Vancouver add? Will Vancouver accept less, sure, but IMO, Chicago win's this trade long term)

Trade 2 (Summer) Arizona

Larson Crouse  RW/LW

Victor Soderstrom RHD

Tucker Poolman

for

Brock Boeser

Vancouver's 2025 - 1st (top 12 protected)

A Crouse for Boeser trade is a wash on the surface, but Crouse ($4,300,000) is signed 4 more years, plays a heavier game, and the type of player IMO that JR would want. He basically saves us $2,000,000 per year over Boeser. Soderstrom is starting to play some good hockey and although he does not have a high ceiling, his floor is relatively high, and is seen with a solid chance of playing top 4 minutes in Arizona.

Trade 3 (Sept.15th) Arizona

Tyler Myers (After the $5 million bonus is paid)

Ethan Bear

for

Florida's 2024-2nd

Myers, with the bonus paid has a value around a 2nd by himself (remember the rarity of RHD) Chicago could easily move Myers, and make a net gain. For Vancouver this frees up alot of cap, and gains a pick in the process. Ethan Bear has proven himself to be able to play regular minutes in the NHL. He has value, in the same vain as Myer's...aka RHD rarity. With Soderstrom being moved in an earlier trade with Vancouver, Bear fills in the spot, and is probably equal to Soderstrom (This is a Cap based transaction)

Yes, this might need tweaking...maybe more picks in the Connor Murphy trade, but the point is, our team is better, more aggressive, and with approx. 6,000,000 cap space with Tanner Pearson on LTIR.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • There it is 1

Oof I've been a harsh critic on Lekkerimaki but we drafted him and since then I'm pretty emotionally invested in this player. 

I really like some guys with that Tampa pick 

Simashev

Bonk 

Dragicivic

Heidt

Stramel

But

I think it's fair value. 

I think I have to trust our scouting staff here. We picked Lekkerimaki. He's our guy. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

Honestly I'd simplify all of that.

Trade Myers (after extension paid) for 2nd, flip the 2nd and Rathbone to Chicago for Murphy (I don't see how we get the TBL 1st, rather not give up on Lekkerimaki just yet) then retain on Boeser and trade him straight up for Crouse (this has Hodgson for Kassian potential IMO but it's probably worth the swap).

• Like 1

Hi JIAHN,  Not bad overall...just a couple of suggestions.

1.  Murph would be a great addition to the Canucks for sure.  This is a trade that could end up being

monumentally bad for the team though.  I think you have to add to it to ensure that it works out if

Lekker ends up being Naslund 2.0.

2.  Love this one; even Crouse for Brock straight up.  I think you are underestimating Soderstrom, so

I'm ok with the protected 1st.  I take it that Poolman going with Brock to AZ.  Nice!

3. Fair trade.  I don't think Myers waives his NMC to play in AZ though.  I think another (low cap hit) team

would do the same trade for a similar offer.

@hammertime @higgyfan @Alflives @Phil_314 

So, I usually get accused of making trades that are in our favour, so I hedged my trades a little.

But I will say this. These trades fix our RHD in spades, in the present and in the future. IMO, it becomes stronger than our LHD side. The other thing it does is gives us Cap space. When I did these trades with and signed our RFA's to what I think were acceptable contracts, I ended up with 3 solid lines, minus that 3rd line center we need, but IMO, I believe Raty is that guy, for better or worse. Anyways the other idea was the cap, which I had at around $6,000,000 with Tanner Pearson on LTIR.

I think the Roster looked like this...........

Crouse                  Pettersson            Kuzmenko

Mikheyev                  Miller                 Beauvillier

Hoglander                 Raty                  Garland             

Joshua                      Aman                Podkolzin                   Studnicka

Hughes                 Murphy

OEL                       Hronek

Hirose                   Soderstrom

Brisebois               Burroughs

Demko

Silvos

And Tanner Pearson on LTIR

IMHO.that is a way better, and more balanced lineup.

But my only hesitation was the giving up a conditional 2024 1-st to get rid of Poolman and add Soderstrom..............not sure I am happy with that.........maybe we buy out Poolman and don't take Soderstom............just spit balling...........but our friggin cap is the problem!!!!!!!

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

7 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@hammertime @higgyfan @Alflives @Phil_314 

So, I usually get accused of making trades that are in our favour, so I hedged my trades a little.

But I will say this. These trades fix our RHD in spades, in the present and in the future. IMO, it becomes stronger than our LHD side. The other thing it does is gives us Cap space. When I did these trades with and signed our RFA's to what I think were acceptable contracts, I ended up with 3 solid lines, minus that 3rd line center we need, but IMO, I believe Raty is that guy, for better or worse. Anyways the other idea was the cap, which I had at around $6,000,000 with Tanner Pearson on LTIR.

I think the Roster looked like this...........

Crouse                  Pettersson            Kuzmenko

Mikheyev                  Miller                 Beauvillier

Hoglander                 Raty                  Garland             

Joshua                      Aman                Podkolzin                   Studnicka

Hughes                 Murphy

OEL                       Hronek

Hirose                   Soderstrom

Brisebois               Burroughs

Demko

Silvos

And Tanner Pearson on LTIR

IMHO.that is a way better, and more balanced lineup.

But my only hesitation was the giving up a conditional 2024 1-st to get rid of Poolman and add Soderstrom..............not sure I am happy with that.........maybe we buy out Poolman and don't take Soderstom............just spit balling...........but our friggin cap is the problem!!!!!!!

Buyout OEL and keep our future Bossy. 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are giving up our Mike Bossy prospect. LK is 18. It’s a Benning move. 
Like 2 snd 3. 

No Alf...............Lekkerimaki is not anywhere near Bossy...........and I will put a bottle of Scotch on that, he will not score 25 goals in any of the next 5 seasons in the NHL. Let me know if you are interested in that bet!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

No Alf...............Lekkerimaki is not anywhere near Bossy...........and I will put a bottle of Scotch on that, he will not score 25 goals in any of the next 5 seasons in the NHL. Let me know if you are interested in that bet!

JL is only 18.  Not sure why you are giving up on him so quickly.  Also, Jared McCann says hi...

• There it is 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JL is only 18.  Not sure why you are giving up on him so quickly.  Also, Jared McCann says hi...

I think that is a fair question...........

I am not giving up on him, I actually think he is a valuable asset. But we have such a mess, and it will either cost to get out of it, or we will toil in the middle for ever. I am not a guy that "JUST" wants to make the playoffs, I want to get there and make some noise. IMO, the proposed trades and line up, put us closer. I will concede that we are spending futures and we have to get out of that spiral, but we can advance our position by spending some. IMO, it gives us time, and still shows our stars we are committed to advancing our team.

I guess, I look at how good the Rangers are, and how they added Tarasenko, and Kane, and recognise that it took asset to acquire them. We do not have them, and we were further back them them to start with. I see no way we are going to be top 10, until we rip the scab off. This is my attempted.

PS......After some of the comments I might consider revising some of them a little, but the basic frame work is sound, IMO.

• Huggy Bear 1

Lekker just dropped 4 points in the finals, I think now's the worst time to think about trading him, he's just starting to peak and finally out-class Ohgren. If he continues this upward trend he could be a real stud so no need to trade him now or at this draft, let's see what we've got in him at the AHL level at the very least.

• There it is 1

On 4/23/2023 at 11:24 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Trading JL, a very young player who is clearly elite, is a Benning move.