The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2024's likely No. 1 overall NHL draft pick wants to be a Canuck

Rate this topic

Canuck You

10 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

But at least, the owner of the Sandman hotels has a chance to win the Cup this year, unlike his former buddy.

For some reason I thought the Aquilinis still had a stake but it is in the hands of Gagliardi. They're teaming up on the proposed Squammish ski resort...so beef might be over. However, that totally makes my joke fail...sad day. :p 

On 5/4/2023 at 7:28 PM, Gnarcore said:

The Canucks are like Sandman hotels: mediocre and poorly managed but you will stay there due to location. 

I've stayed at fancy hotels and I've stayed at cheap hotels. Honestly, as long as you're springing for something above 'Slum' tier, you're fine. Booking a room in a fancy hotel is usually wasting money. You get a room with a bed, a bathroom, a tv, etc. There is next to no discernible difference. Maybe the concierge is nice at a fancier hotel but I have a phone with me if I need to book reservations or a taxi or whatever.

The only exception is if you're getting a suite or something, but you're paying extra in that case regardless. 

'

On 5/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, McBackup said:

I've stayed at fancy hotels and I've stayed at cheap hotels. Honestly, as long as you're springing for something above 'Slum' tier, you're fine. Booking a room in a fancy hotel is usually wasting money. You get a room with a bed, a bathroom, a tv, etc. There is next to no discernible difference. Maybe the concierge is nice at a fancier hotel but I have a phone with me if I need to book reservations or a taxi or whatever.

The only exception is if you're getting a suite or something, but you're paying extra in that case regardless. 

'

I have a degree in hotel management and worked in them from age 16 to being a GM of one at age 38. Worked in a 3, 4 and briefly a 5 diamond hotel.  There is a massive difference in a 3, a 4 and a 5 rated hotel.  I know because I had the damn binders full of what was needed to upgrade and oversaw moving a 3 to a 4 hotel.. Now I agree that most non slum places a fine. Unless I had a hook up I wasn't booking the Wall Center or Four Seasons etc. 

That was a joke about the mediocrity of the Sandman brand. Honestly their newer ones are fine. Older ones are worn out with bad beds. A 4 star or 5 star has a mattress quality rating they need to hit and thread count etc. My suite recently at a 4.5 had a Nespresso in each room with real cream. Now am I happy staying at the Sandman oin Georgia when down for a game or concert? Yes, I do it all the time. But I wasn't there for the quality and the extra money spent really depends on what you can afford right? :) 

It was just a joke really ;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I have a degree in hotel management and worked in them from age 16 to being a GM of one at age 38. Worked in a 3, 4 and briefly a 5 diamond hotel.  There is a massive difference in a 3, a 4 and a 5 rated hotel.  I know because I had the damn binders full of what was needed to upgrade and oversaw moving a 3 to a 4 hotel.. Now I agree that most non slum places a fine. Unless I had a hook up I wasn't booking the Wall Center or Four Seasons etc. 

That was a joke about the mediocrity of the Sandman brand. Honestly their newer ones are fine. Older ones are worn out with bad beds. A 4 star or 5 star has a mattress quality rating they need to hit and thread count etc. My suite recently at a 4.5 had a Nespresso in each room with real cream. Now am I happy staying at the Sandman oin Georgia when down for a game or concert? Yes, I do it all the time. But I wasn't there for the quality and the extra money spent really depends on what you can afford right? :) 

It was just a joke really ;) 

I agree.  I've stayed at 3, 4, and 5 star hotels all over the place, and most recently a 3 in the tri-cities area and then a couple days later moved downtown to a 5.  It's the attention to detail that separates them.  From quality of materials, cleanliness, service level, etc.  There's a significant difference.  Is it worth the 300 to 400% difference in price?  It all depends on what someone values I guess.  Personally, I tend to find the best value in a 4 star, or lower tier 5 star.  The top end Fairmonts, St Regis, Four Seasons, I usually only stay for international vacations.  Not worth it when it's just a quick business trip.  If you want value, I look for the Hyatts and Sutton Place level hotels.  Still 5 star most of the time, but a better price point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I agree.  I've stayed at 3, 4, and 5 star hotels all over the place, and most recently a 3 in the tri-cities area and then a couple days later moved downtown to a 5.  It's the attention to detail that separates them.  From quality of materials, cleanliness, service level, etc.  There's a significant difference.  Is it worth the 300 to 400% difference in price?  It all depends on what someone values I guess.  Personally, I tend to find the best value in a 4 star, or lower tier 5 star.  The top end Fairmonts, St Regis, Four Seasons, I usually only stay for international vacations.  Not worth it when it's just a quick business trip.  If you want value, I look for the Hyatts and Sutton Place level hotels.  Still 5 star most of the time, but a better price point.

My go to for a long while was the Hampton Suites near BC Place. Nice rooms, good beds and a solid free breakfast! However, I no longer have access to the Hilton friends and family discounts. $50 rooms was amazing. Then again I worked for Four Seasons and the free stays there were the best. Vancouver was hard but one year I had all my 10 days left in October and what do you know...the Maui property had 9 open nights. Then as was staff got upgraded to a 1br suite and a ton of comp meals. Now that was an amazing time :) 

• Cheers 1

On 4/30/2023 at 4:49 PM, DS4quality said:

Well in about January we'll be out of the playoffs,  by middle of February we'll have a new coach, and by the middle of March we'll work to 10th place in the west. 

What am I missing here?

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Has anyone mentioned that Macklin's brother, Aiden, is a defenseman eligible for this year's draft? He's committed to play for Boston University next year with his brother.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/635383/aiden-celebrini

He isn't super highly touted like his brother, but I wouldn't at all be disappointed if the Canucks took a flyer on a local defenseman like him in the later rounds. 

On 4/30/2023 at 4:31 PM, Canuck You said:

What are you missing? On a whim, or a prayer, Canucks history changes and actually builds D depth so when a glut of them gets injured we actually.. actually and I find this weird to be saying but depth for a change so we don't get our asses handed to us like the beginning of the season or whenever in a season regardless, but depth? Wow wouldn't that be something... (For once!) 

I"m still leaning towards a top 4 RHD and a top quality third line center who can seemlessly move up in the line-up without looking or performing out of place in exchange for Boeser, Garland, and our 11th. 

Would parting with our first kinda pi$$ me off? Sure but at least we won the Kuz sweepstakes that put us ahead so imo if we have to package our 11th then the evens us out but next year we have to keep what we have and spend a lot more time scouting out gems for the rest of our picks this season but unless it improves us over Flow and Garland, no dice. 

Anyway, I'd rather us keep our 11th but there's not many D in the top of the list this year on D as well. No I haven't looked at whose coming up as far as same as this year or more D.next year but looking at a trade for D using our 11th in it is fine.. anything else? Screw that!

I hope Toc continues looking for players made in his mould of skill and toughness and JR/AL deliver more of it so we don't end up with another soft team... We all are aware of how that has worked out for us to date.

Will it all align for a change? Idk, seems pretty far fetched as it's never happened before but wouldn't that be F'n awesome for a change!!!

Changing the Vancouver narrative of a depthless good roster?! Nah lol  dreaming!! 

• Cheers 1

we doing this again

Celebrini's not going to be a Canuck. If both Bedard and him want to play in Van, they'll have to either force a trade, or they'll have to sign here when they're eligible. Other than that, we ain't getting those guys for a while, if ever. 

On 5/9/2023 at 6:53 PM, McBackup said:

Has anyone mentioned that Macklin's brother, Aiden, is a defenseman eligible for this year's draft? He's committed to play for Boston University next year with his brother.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/635383/aiden-celebrini

He isn't super highly touted like his brother, but I wouldn't at all be disappointed if the Canucks took a flyer on a local defenseman like him in the later rounds. 

you saying that Macklin Celebrini is committed to Boston University?? 

On 5/9/2023 at 1:42 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

You just know Celebrini or Eiserman are going to Chicago to create the next big beast. Obviously these stars alone don't create a dynasty but they have a lot of picks up their sleeves in later rounds to acquire some real gems.

Don Taylor not wrong when he said that Chicago will win another championship before the Canucks ever win their first. 

Here we go again

That goddamn Chelsea Dagger song. 

On 5/4/2023 at 11:17 PM, Crimson-JH said:

Forget about tanking already, let’s focus on getting into the playoffs! Keep this up, the team is already wasting Petey, Hughes, and Kuzy’s prime years. 

Yea. Seattle if they win their series against Dallas could very well move onto the Cup Finals in their second year

Vegas could win the Cup in their sixth year

Two southern franchises in Carolina and Florida, could win yet another championship

But here we are in Vancouver, where we've been f**king waiting for 53 years without one single damn Cup. 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Don Taylor not wrong when he said that Chicago will win another championship before the Canucks ever win their first. 

Here we go again

That goddamn Chelsea Dagger song. 

Yup, Bedard scoring OT winners on an old Demko in round 1 and dropping the heart-breaker celly on us to Chelsea Dagger is going to suck

On 5/15/2023 at 4:27 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yea. Seattle if they win their series against Dallas could very well move onto the Cup Finals in their second year

Vegas could win the Cup in their sixth year

Two southern franchises in Carolina and Florida, could win yet another championship

But here we are in Vancouver, where we've been f**king waiting for 53 years without one single damn Cup. 

Add Carolina