The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2024's likely No. 1 overall NHL draft pick wants to be a Canuck

Rate this topic

Canuck You

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

If we have smart management, they'd draft out a 10 year plan on how to get Bedard and Celebirini both in a Canucks jersey. Blueprint, plan, vision. 

Tanking is not an exact science and given the fact that the Canucks are the team that's been the most screwed over by the draft, I would not trust any plan that involves trying to lose every game.

• Haha 1

This would have been the generation to tank for and rebuild. Not just Bedard and Celebrini but Eiserman is there at maybe 2nd overall next year too. Even if we got the 2nd OA pick two years in a row, that's basically as good as a couple of first overalls in other years. If we had a few more firsts as well we'd have such a solid core unit.

Look at the smart teams like SJS and CBJ, they have multiple firsts this season so not just a shot at Bedard or a future super-star center, but a later first they can nab a top defenceman and you know they'll suck next year and be in the running for Celebrini/Eiserman as well. That's how you build a top, star core.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

21 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This would have been the generation to tank for and rebuild. Not just Bedard and Celebrini but Eiserman is there at maybe 2nd overall next year too. Even if we got the 2nd OA pick two years in a row, that's basically as good as a couple of first overalls in other years. If we had a few more firsts as well we'd have such a solid core unit.

Look at the smart teams like SJS and CBJ, they have multiple firsts this season so not just a shot at Bedard or a future super-star center, but a later first they can nab a top defenceman and you know they'll suck next year and be in the running for Celebrini/Eiserman as well. That's how you build a top, star core.

Overall I always felt Taking and getting a high draft pick is a consequence of the team not being good and just dropping in the standings (or lottery luck like Jersey or Chicago).

I wasn't on team tank because I wanted the team to land Berdard I was on team tank because where the team was at by February and felt they just weren't good enough to compete and maybe getting the highest pick possible this draft would have helped the team.

Their late season performance in March onwards and my frustration wasn't because I wanted the team to purposely lose and tank. Rather they could show they can win a string of games and actually play well but didn't bother to do this most of the season when it would have mattered. It's a team trying to correct past mistakes of something that cannot be erased but while, at the same time, sabotaging their future. Basically it's a team that won't refuse to tank but won't show up when it matters. 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Overall I always felt Taking and getting a high draft pick is a consequence of the team not being good and just dropping in the standings (or lottery luck like Jersey or Chicago).

I wasn't on team tank because I wanted the team to land Berdard I was on team tank because where the team was at by February and felt they just weren't good enough to compete and maybe getting the highest pick possible this draft would have helped the team.

Their late season performance in March onwards and my frustration wasn't because I wanted the team to purposely lose and tank. Rather they could show they can win a string of games and actually play well but didn't bother to do this most of the season when it would have mattered. It's a team trying to correct past mistakes of something that cannot be erased but while, at the same time, sabotaging their future. Basically it's a team that won't refuse to tank but won't show up when it matters. 

I don't think you can or should purposely tank, it's just the nature of the ebbs and flows of a team. Chicago has done it brilliantly - tanked, got a bunch of great top picks and drafted really well, complemented those picks with solid players through trades/UFAs, won a bunch of cups and now sold their top players again so they're on the down-swing. They've mastered the tank.

We (and many other teams) messed our chance up. We had a bunch of consecutive top-10 picks, never won the lottery, were never bad enough because the remnants of our last core kept us slightly relevant and we never traded them. Never got a top-3 pick, never traded veterans to get more firsts/seconds, and when we did get top-10 picks we blew them and half of them have been busts. Then with two of the picks, we hit home-runs who are so good it makes it impossible for us to lose, then we've also traded a bunch of top picks to cover up bad cap management. Not saying this is unique to the Canucks, and not saying we can't win this way either, it's just the way it's transpired.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

We're past the point of rebuilding. If we wanted to it should have been done last TD the latest or at the 2021-22 season preferably. 

We've decided what route we're taking and have no choice to follow through till it succeeds or fails. 

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We're past the point of rebuilding. If we wanted to it should have been done last TD the latest or at the 2021-22 season preferably. 

We've decided what route we're taking and have no choice to follow through till it succeeds or fails. 

Yup. We have our core in place. We are where Gillis was after he took over. Time to continue with the retool of the supporting cast. 

On 4/30/2023 at 6:25 PM, TopChed said:

He should start tanking his draft stonk or pull a Bedard and refuse to play for any team other than the Canucks. 

We have 2 chances at this. One of them has to Lindros it. 

Either that or well have a chance that they Taveres it 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:03 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

We were primed for rebuilding in Mcdavids draft year. We were primed for tanking in Bedards draft year. 

On 5/1/2023 at 3:07 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Being destroyed by Chi Det Sharks Dux is a tradition. 

15 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We were primed for rebuilding in Mcdavids draft year. We were primed for tanking in Bedards draft year. 

Would have been better to start it in 2021-22 though and finish it in the 2024 draft. If we didn't have the Boudreau bump and traded some assets we probably could have drafted top 5 and snag Jiricek. 

After last trade deadline we made our choice. We're past the point of going back. We either will fail or succeed with the choice we made. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Would have been better to start it in 2021-22 though and finish it in the 2024 draft. If we didn't have the Boudreau bump and traded some assets we probably could have drafted top 5 and snag Jiricek. 

After last trade deadline we made our choice. We're past the point of going back. We either will fail or succeed with the choice we made. 

Benning would have needed to extend both Hughes and Petey to 8 year deals before any rebuild. Look how upset the players were when Benning lost Tanev, Tofu, and Marky in his “shocking reset”. Even this summer getting Petey locked up long term is the priority before anything else. 

On 4/30/2023 at 10:59 PM, Drakrami said:

If we have smart management, they'd draft out a 10 year plan on how to get Bedard and Celebirini both in a Canucks jersey. Blueprint, plan, vision. 

You think management will be around 10 years, especially after not going for 1 draft lottery where 2 first overall players have expressed their desire to bring a cup home, and current management wants to stay in the mushy middle

Edited by DS4quality
  • Like 1

To bad for him .

even if we were in the running next year we’d go on the annual pointless stupid winning streak to ruin our odds. 
we are the year after year undisputed campions of the Canuck cup winning when it hurts the team and destroying draft position.

the aquallini   “winning environment”