The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Boston free agent Connor Clifton

Does he really bring anything more that Burroughs would?  Similar size and approach and Burroughs is already familiar with the team and system.  To be honest I wouldn't bother and would seek a defensive D with some snarl or just allow some of the guys we have in McWard and Juulsen to duke it out.  Unless it's confirmed to not happen, I am still putting my chips into Tryamkin being that guy for a similar cost.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Does he really bring anything more that Burroughs would?  Similar size and approach and Burroughs is already familiar with the team and system.  To be honest I wouldn't bother and would seek a defensive D with some snarl or just allow some of the guys we have in McWard and Juulsen to duke it out.  Unless it's confirmed to not happen, I am still putting my chips into Tryamkin being that guy for a similar cost.

Juulsen is a pending UFA. He may not even be back with the club 

44 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Juulsen is a pending UFA. He may not even be back with the club 

True but if we wanted him back we could just sign him to a one way deal to ensure his NHL salary.  Would Clifton bring much more than Burroughs or Juulsen if they had a full year in the league.  I think we have enough semi internal options to meet the 6/7 need.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

True but if we wanted him back we could just sign him to a one way deal to ensure his NHL salary.  Would Clifton bring much more than Burroughs or Juulsen if they had a full year in the league.  I think we have enough semi internal options to meet the 6/7 need.

Agreed. Anyone we add should be top 4 potential 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I hope the management signs a seasoned vet that could get the job done backing up Quinn.  Scott Mayfield

looks ideal for the role.  Islanders won't be able to re-sign him (thx Bo); he will be upping his $, as his game

has gotten so much better over time.  He'll be 31yrs in the fall, so maybe 3-3.5mX4yrs would do it.  The Nucks

will likely pick up an RD at the draft, who may be ready to join the team by the time Scott's contract ends.

Forget about Bear (he wants too much) and find a home for Myers in the fall (even with some retention).

Hughes   Mayfield 3-3.5mx4yrs

OEL   Hronek

Wolanin  Schenn 2mx2yr

Brise   Burroughs /Juulssen

• Like 1

Clifton was a fun player to watch this year. But he didn't seem to maintain his regular season play in the playoffs, and got exposed. Whether this was because of him not being as good as many thought he was, or his smaller body not holding up for a whole season and then the rigors of the playoffs...I lean hard pass. Especially since he'll probably cost significantly more than Bear.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I hope the management signs a seasoned vet that could get the job done backing up Quinn.  Scott Mayfield

looks ideal for the role.  Islanders won't be able to re-sign him (thx Bo); he will be upping his $, as his game

has gotten so much better over time.  He'll be 31yrs in the fall, so maybe 3-3.5mX4yrs would do it.  The Nucks

will likely pick up an RD at the draft, who may be ready to join the team by the time Scott's contract ends.

Forget about Bear (he wants too much) and find a home for Myers in the fall (even with some retention).

OEL   Hronek

Wolanin  Schenn 2mx2yr

Okay but rather trade to get Tanev back. He’s the perfect partner for Hughes. 

On 5/4/2023 at 11:29 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Plays bigger than his size too. solid hitter too, Cliffy would be a favourite here if we could land him somehow. 

Don't we already have this in Burroughs? Guy is a local and will likely cost less than Clifton.

24 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Don't we already have this in Burroughs? Guy is a local and will likely cost less than Clifton.

Clifton is significantly better than Burroughs, Burroughs is a 6/7th dman at best. 

Edited by canuck73_3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Okay but rather trade to get Tanev back. He’s the perfect partner for Hughes. 

Time has flown by for all of us Alf.  Tanev is 3yrs older than Mayfield and is nowhere near as

difficult to play against (83 PIMs).  Chris also has a M-NTC with 10 teams on the list and I'll bet one of

them is the Canucks.  The Flames would probably not trade him to Vancouver anyway.

He would be a good acquisition, but I think that day is gone.

Mayfield, Schenn and Burroughs would kill the opposition.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Time has flown by for all of us Alf.  Tanev is 3yrs older than Mayfield and is nowhere near as

difficult to play against (83 PIMs).  Chris also has a M-NTC with 10 teams on the list and I'll bet one of

them is the Canucks.  The Flames would probably not trade him to Vancouver anyway.

Ya, of course you’re right. Just Want Hughes to have a good partner again. Mayfield, if we can get him, would be great. Sure hope we clear cap from our D by buying out OEL and doing a full dumperoo of Myers. That’s 13 mil off next years cap and 11 off the season after that. Chance to really help out Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Make it Mayfield, Schenn and Tryamkin and you have yourself a deal.  Right side would be avoided by other wingers.

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Clifton is significantly better than Burroughs, Burroughs is a 6/7th dman at best. 

Burroughs is certainly a bottom pairing guy, great depth. I see Clifton as that as well, a depth guy and so did Montgomery cause by the end of the 1st rnd, he wasn't even playing. Clifton and Burroughs have the same skill set. Clifton just happened to play 30 more games in the season, on the most dominant regular season team of all time. We have a guy who can do the same job for cheaper IMO. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, higgyfan said:

OEL   Hronek

Wolanin  Schenn 2mx2yr

If there is any retention needed on Myers, I would keep him.

He's in a contract year, so if there is ever a time to expect something out of him, it's now.

He'd also be more valuable to move at the deadline, where his cap hit is prorated. 

A 6'7 RHD will command some assets, regardless of what the CDC hive mind thinks. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Make it Mayfield, Schenn and Tryamkin and you have yourself a deal.  Right side would be avoided by other wingers.

Or they'd just skate around some of the slowest skaters on our roster.

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

He's in a contract year, so if there is ever a time to expect something out of him, it's now.

He'd also be more valuable to move at the deadline, where his cap hit is prorated. 

A 6'7 RHD will command some assets, regardless of what the CDC hive mind thinks. 

Look at the way Edmonton was able to get rid of Barrie, who is a far worse player with term left on his contract.  That's the kind of deal that would work.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Look at the way Edmonton was able to get rid of Barrie, who is a far worse player with term left on his contract.  That's the kind of deal that would work.

Barrie>Myers imo much much better with the puck 

On 5/4/2023 at 11:54 AM, Pears said:

I’d make the exception for Bertuzzi or Orlov though 100%. Clifton’s interesting but would he really be that much better than Bear?

At a similar cap hit, I would take Clifton over Bear. My only cause of concern about Clifton is adding another sub-6' dman to an undersized back end.

Though Bear was an upgrade on the right side, he's a Carolina retread who lost his job to Jalen Chatfield.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Yep, the contract year bump is often overlooked. We can expect Beau and Myers to be playing for their next contracts, and they’ll both carry value at the TDL.

I see Boeser or Garland as the first players to be traded.