The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Craig Button is one of the few hockey personalities that actually was a respected scout.   Given it's his wheelhouse, it's at least worthy of checking out, unlike other lists, which is just the aggregate of the hockey writers/media (TSN/SN) views.    Larkin.  Holland (THN writers) etc all make their own lists too but don't pay any attention to that - just the ones they get from the NHL scouts themselves and average out.      ISS is also a reliable ranking, that doesn't get too caught up in WJ hype.  

Button loved the Hronek trade for us.   We got a legit first pairing RHD.   Something that is rare in the draft, and usually takes years to develop.   Given where that pick would be and that this draft normalizes around picks 12-13 ... scouts, are looking for a guy in the 200 game range and call that a win where the NYI pick landed.    

The Horvat trade was a solid move.   Given that we aren't rebuilding.   Button also said tactically IF we kept that pick, the Canucks might as well trade both EP and QHs.    No mention of the fact both those guys have said they don't want to go through a rebuild.   Just that given the structure of the team, if we aren't making significant improvements might as well just blow it all up. 

Edit:  Yzerman in Detroit is still looking for EP's and QHs to draft.  Game breaker elite players.    Can only have so many of them too.   Why he was ok in making his team worse and gaining a lottery ticket.   We are factually on the same road as Detroit is.   Are we ahead of them?  Or behind.   Hard to say.   Mushy middle isn't a great landing spot.    Both teams won more than any other from 2000-2014.   SJ is right there with us as well.    Regular season ones that is.   Will be interesting to see who ends up on top. 

While I agree, he's also well known for his outlandish optimism of certain prospects. A lot of his selections are very off the board and in a world of their own. Have you seen his board this end of year? 

16 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

While I agree, he's also well known for his outlandish optimism of certain prospects. A lot of his selections are very off the board and in a world of their own. Have you seen his board this end of year? 

I enjoy Buttons comments. Mostly because he's well researched and bring intelligence to his commments and in particular his draft list. He liked ASP a lot and although there's not a lot in the media it might be a case of trying to down play him in hopes 

3 minutes ago, secksii said:

Wallinder plays closer to tanev to me than Simashev. Simashev reminds me of zadorov, but higher potential since zadorovs on ice iq seems low... 

as good as some of the Russian players might be I’m not too sure we should draft any unless they are already posting over here. 

• There it is 1

On 6/15/2023 at 5:32 AM, MikeyD said:

First off, Craig Button.

Second off, I see what he sees. My reasoning was stated above though. However after getting a fair amount of newer footage he progressed well over the season and I moved him up. I still think his trajectory will be around where it'll end up. Has a lot of upside though but has a few bad tendencies that need to be ironed out. 

Button and Pronman are the only two of the major lists that regularly outperform the pack.

Dude knows what he is talking about.  You can literally go back to redrafts and compare to his posts and see he does really well.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 6/16/2023 at 8:13 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Chris Faber was on the I Hate This Team podcast. https://open.spotify.com/episode/7eky83xf873VA0h0zyVCdl

He says all the players the Canucks interviewed in Buffalo aren't good enough for a #11 pick and that Simashev is

He is a big risk that high.  Lots of scouts have him way lower.

If only it was possible to have acquired another 1st round pick later in the round, like around pick 17 that would be a better spot to try to grab him.  Then you could go for a more consensus pick at 11 and then take a little flier on Simashev and end up with two possible top 4D playing on cheap ELCs for you in a couple years. 

7 hours ago, Provost said:

He is a big risk that high.  Lots of scouts have him way lower.

If only it was possible to have acquired another 1st round pick later in the round, like around pick 17 that would be a better spot to try to grab him.  Then you could go for a more consensus pick at 11 and then take a little flier on Simashev and end up with two possible top 4D playing on cheap ELCs for you in a couple years. 

I would honestly prefer Hronek

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:13 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Chris Faber was on the I Hate This Team podcast. https://open.spotify.com/episode/7eky83xf873VA0h0zyVCdl

He says all the players the Canucks interviewed in Buffalo aren't good enough for a #11 pick and that Simashev is

What does Chris Faber have as far as credentials go, compared to the scouting staff on the Canucks and other teams?   Doubt this is in play but your never do know,  the Canuck staff deliberately hid their actions in Sweden regarding EP, as in to keep it their little secret.   Every team is watching what other teams are doing.   Chris Faber's job is to make some noise and get his clicks or whatever.    Not sure what he's going on about here, plus should know better anyways.    Any of these guys in the third tier group, which is where we are picking, could end up in a re-draft later as a great pick, decent pick, or a bad one.    

As long as we don't pick a Swedish winger i'm cool.   And do think we will be picking a defenseman first.   Maybe a center.   So likely an organizational need. 

Edited by IBatch

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What does Chris Faber have as far as credentials go, compared to the scouting staff on the Canucks and other teams?   Doubt this is in play but your never do know,  the Canuck staff deliberately hid their actions in Sweden regarding EP, as in to keep it their little secret.   Every team is watching what other teams are doing.   Chris Faber's job is to make some noise and get his clicks or whatever.    Not sure what he's going on about here, plus should know better anyways.    Any of these guys in the third tier group, which is where we are picking, could end up in a re-draft later as a great pick, decent pick, or a bad one.    

As long as we don't pick a Swedish winger i'm cool.   And do think we will be picking a defenseman first.   Maybe a center.   So likely an organizational need. 

I heard on 650 we are very high on Shimashev. And that guy has the tools and upside to be the best D man in this draft and by a lot. 

honestly i don't care who they draft.. i expect based on the last 15 years of drafting we'll likely get a bust so i dont have high hopes and if it works out i'll be a bonus. lets just assume podz doesn't turn into a significant player we are batting .400 drafting in top 10  and prolly sub .100 anything outside of top 10 in terms of regulars that developed and played for the canucks and not other organization and even if we include the rare few we prolly still close to .100.. i mean the canucks have the fewest man game played and points from their draft picks in the last 15 years and it's not even close.. excluding seattle and vegas.. so they might as well ask maggie the monkey to draft coz she seemed to have higher success rate than our scouts

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I heard on 650 we are very high on Shimashev. And that guy has the tools and upside to be the best D man in this draft and by a lot. 

Ugh.  That's really off board.   Way off board in some cases.   They should trade down if that's their target.   Do like his size.    But why is he the 19th on European NHL central scouting ranking?    That doesn't include the North Americans.   Elite prospects does have him at ten.   Button didn't have him in the first round.    At least it's not Pellika from Sweden ... we don't need another shrimp. 

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ugh.  That's really off board.   Way off board in some cases.   They should trade down if that's their target. 

Maybe that’s the plan? Shimashev has the highest ceiling of any D in the draft. We could get him in the late teens and collect more picks too. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

honestly i don't care who they draft.. i expect based on the last 15 years of drafting we'll likely get a bust so i dont have high hopes and if it works out i'll be a bonus. lets just assume podz doesn't turn into a significant player we are batting .400 drafting in top 10  and prolly sub .100 anything outside of top 10 in terms of regulars that developed and played for the canucks and not other organization and even if we include the rare few we prolly still close to .100.. i mean the canucks have the fewest man game played and points from their draft picks in the last 15 years and it's not even close.. excluding seattle and vegas.. so they might as well ask maggie the monkey to draft coz she seemed to have higher success rate than our scouts

Wow someone's grumpy today.    Podz is actually pretty close to the par line already for a tenth overall.     People do need to temper their expectations a little, that I will agree with.   And if you include any of the MG years you're not going to get what you want.      

Wish we had the OTT scouts working for us for sure.   Or Tampa's. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow someone's grumpy today.    Podz is actually pretty close to the par line already for a tenth overall.     People do need to temper their expectations a little, that I will agree with.   And if you include any of the MG years you're not going to get what you want.      

Wish we had the OTT scouts working for us for sure.   Or Tampa's. 

Never understood why we don’t poach the other club’s best scouts. Pay them triple or whatever. But we went with Benning. Who forced out our best guy - Bracket. 
Benning :picard: