The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last team to win Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

Which team is going to win the SC last  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with Winnipeg because of where they are in their cycle. Their core is ageing and they have trouble retaining/attracting talent for various reasons. If they don't get it done in the next 3 years or so then they will have to start the rebuild/retool cycle again imo. As much as it pains me to say it, one could make a case for Vancouver as well. Honourable mentions to the king of mediocrity, Minnesota.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Vancouver is the obvious choice here. I think they'll get their chance in 2123.

Guess I'm gonna have to live to 130 to see that then. No other choice.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Vancouver is the obvious choice here. I think they'll get their chance in 2123.

lol 

June 12, 2123 11 PM EST ... Vancouver wins game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals 4-2

June 12, 2123 11:15 PM EST ... Cup is presented by NHL Commissioner The Bettmanator ( an Cyborg with the Consciousness of Gary Bettman uploaded)  comes to the rink

June 12, 2123 11:20:30 PM EST ... Team captain and descendant of the one the Sedins ... Julio Sedin-Alvarez-Wang IV is about to touch and lift the cup

June 12, 2123 11:20:32 PM EST ... before the Canucks could even touch and hoist the cup, a virus infects The Bettmanator and goes in a murderous rampage and kills everyone in Vancouver. Dismantling the team for another 1000 years.

Canuck luck :bigblush:

Edited by iinatcc

I also predict that Canucks make it game 7 in the finals by 2040. However in 3 mins left in the 7th game Canucks lead 3-1 but an electricity failure happens in the Arena and is forced to be restarted in the opponent's rink. Of course Canucks lose this game 7, 1-0 :emot-parrot:

Jokes aside, all these teams are so far away. When you look at the final 4, they're build on a solid defensive, strong top-4, a great goalie, depth scoring, and least importantly, top-end offensive talent. All of their top scoring stars are barely carrying the teams, it's their top-4 defence which is. The goalies are barely standing on their heads either apart from maybe in Dallas. Defence wins championships, it does so in every sports league, and it's proving it again this year.

Look at the Canucks now and in the future. Our defence is probably 50% there. Hughes is fantastic, Hronek is (hopefully) a great pick-up. That's 2 out of the top-4 who are decent. My main problem is that our defence is not big and strong defensively enough. When we compare this D to the final 4, we're missing so many pieces. We don't have a top, elite two-way defenceman who can play 25-30 minutes a night (Peitrangelo, Heiskanen, Burns, Ekblad). You could argue it's Hughes, but he isn't as big or strong as these guys to check a big, strong forward physically, so we'll have to over-compensate and support him. We don't have a big, defensive shutdown guy in our top-6 at all (eg. Gudas, Pesce, McNabb/Whitecloud, heck even Ryan Suter). These 4 teams have something in common with their defence, they have one two-way stud, 3 solid defensive defencemen who are big, strong and physical, and some average bottom pairing guys (but usually these are big guys too). We'll have to live and die by Hughes, big or not, but just complement him with strong defensive guys. I liked what I saw from Hronek but he's alone right now. OEL and Myers are our 2nd pairing right now and they don't cut any playoff team. The guys in our pipeline are alright but none of them are quite 6'3", 220lbs +. We have a chance to change that this draft but we'll see...

In net, we're as good as any other team in the league now and going forward. Demko is a top-5 goalie IMO, especially when he's on his game, and Silovs is a top-5 goalie prospect for sure. No question about it. 

Up front, right now ironically we have quite a bit of winger depth which is nice to see, and you need in the playoffs, but we need to shed some of that wasted cap. Down the middle we are thin in the bottom-6. Aman and Dries have looked alright but I don't know how many playoff teams they'd start for. That 3C is a big hole, but we have Raty down the pipeline. Problem yet again is size and defensive ability - we don't have many big, strong bottom-6 guys on the team or in the wings waiting to come in.

Until we fix our major issues, we're not coming close to a cup. We may well make the playoffs next year and grind and grind away, but we're not beating any of these real contenders. I don't see the Canucks getting out of the first round for a while let alone winning 4 series. Look at the teams right now - I doubt we'd win one game against any of them, and for me it comes down to defence first and foremost. 

If we magically find a way to get two solid, defensive defencemen in our top-4, it's a new game, but that's got to be the hardest job in the business. The easier way out is trying to change OEL and turn him into one of those guys but I'm not sure really what's easier - trading OEL and his cap plus a first, or turning him into a Ryan Suter-type player...