The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Not Panic -- Cap Situation is NOT that Dire

Rate this topic

HKSR

32 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

You don't watch hockey do you? The coaching staff must be completely useless too then, right? He was playing third line minutes, and played second unit power play time in games I watched.

I do consider the coaching staff pretty useless.  

20 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

We can easily dump Beauvillier or Garland or Boeser, Oliver Bjorkstrand style (he got a 3rd and 4th round pick in return) so yeah the issue isn't that they're stuck with us; it's that we'd be selling for pennies on the dollar.  If anything I'd hope for Beau to go for say a 2nd, and then Myers for a 4th or something.  Carolina's realizing they need scoring and Bedard will need a running mate or two, so for the wingers there's definitely a market, and hopefully Myers' WC play raises his value such that with some retention we'd find a taker.  Sell Beau for market value, give Brock and Garland another year to prove their worth, re-sign Bear after Myers is gone and we'd have room.  Then in the meantime hopefully Klimovich, McDonough, Hoglander and Podkolzin can all start taking next steps to prove they can stick as regulars, and we'll have a lot more breathing room when we can promote their ELCs in and the "bloated" contracts have been moved.

As much as id like them to, We need to stop thinking our minor leaguers can just step in right away for regular nhlers.   Its a huge jump to the nhl.  Myers still has value to us as a 5 at the very least. With the right partner he could be a 4. He still offers a lot that others in our system dont.  Myers biggest issue is that the team tries to get him to do too much.  He just needs to simplify his game. I do expect hirose, juulsen, hogz and podz to step in more readily though.  But klim still has a long way to go.  McDonough isnt an nhler.  

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

With a healthy Hronek and Mikheyev, that is an upgrade over last season.

Big whoop. We were horrible. One of the worst in history as I recall. One can try to be optimistic but in pure evaluation form the team listed in the OP is destined for a bottom 10 finish. AHL city out there.

Edited by Gawdzukes

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Big whoop. We were horrible. One of the worst in history as I recall. One can try to be optimistic but in pure evaluation form the team listed in the OP is destined for a bottom 10 finish. AHL city out there.

We were horrible mostly due to horrific goaltending, and no commitment to playing team defense.

It's not a talentless squad. Its an underachieving one.

They wont finish bottom 10 next season. They will finish in the middle (although, one could argue, thats the worst place to finish).

21 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

We were horrible mostly due to horrific goaltending, and no commitment to playing team defense.

It's not a talentless squad. Its an underachieving one.

They wont finish bottom 10 next season. They will finish in the middle (although, one could argue, thats the worst place to finish).

I've seen so many excuses year to year but it's my experience that is mostly just telling oneself lies. I saw a crap hockey team that got a coaching bump against other crappy teams with no pressure when it didn't matter, Reminiscent of the year before. The top 6 has no backbone or defensive acumen outside of two guys, the bottom six is a mishmash of spare parts. I don't even know if we have a bottom 6 currently. Actually I do, we don't. The defence is the worst in the league and is a complete mystery at this point. At least we got Silovs. That's one plus. And yes we did seem to get "defence" as a concept for the last quarter of the year. That's a big stretch between then and putting it all together when it counts next season.

The line-up posted is definitely a bottom 10 team which is what the thread is about. We have serious cap problems no matter how many ways you add up real numbers to 82.5 (grade 3 math). I have faith we'll finish a little better but that is only because the team will be quite different by the time the season starts. Depending on what they do it will cost us though. How much, is the question.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've seen so many excuses year to year but it's my experience that is mostly just telling oneself lies. I saw a crap hockey team that got a coaching bump against other crappy teams with no pressure when it didn't matter, Reminiscent of the year before. The top 6 has no backbone or defensive acumen outside of two guys, the bottom six is a mishmash of spare parts. I don't even know if we have a bottom 6 currently. Actually I do, we don't. The defence is the worst in the league and is a complete mystery at this point. At least we got Silovs. That's one plus. And yes we did seem to get "defence" as a concept for the last quarter of the year. That's a big stretch between then and putting it all together when it counts next season.

The line-up posted is definitely a bottom 10 team which is what the thread is about. We have serious cap problems no matter how many ways you add up real numbers to 82.5 (grade 3 math). I have faith we'll finish a little better but that is only because the team will be quite different by the time the season starts. Depending on what they do it will cost us though. How much, is the question.

Nope.

We have s great core. The supporting cast is being retooled. If we don’t get 105 points next season Alf will give up drinking for 3 hours. That’s how confident I am. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope.

We have s great core. The supporting cast is being retooled. If we don’t get 105 points next season Alf will give up drinking for 3 hours. That’s how confident I am. 

Haha. Sure Alf. It just occurred to me you must have the worst batting average on CDC with all the constant wild claims you make. :frantic: ;)  Just so you know though, a great core doesn't really mean much of anything on it's own. Our core is good, not great. It's small. It takes an entire team to win in the NHL. You know ... depth and stuff, which our current cap problems prevent.

Damn I hope you're right for once though. I actually think this team has a chance to make the playoffs but it will depend on the moves PA and co make. I think we're going to be in for a hell of a ride.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope.

We have a great 4 players, like Gawd said. That isn't even close to being enough.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope.

Is that how long you can sleep before needing to get up to pee? :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nope.

Give up those cat sandwiches Alf and that'll show you mean business!

Could contain: Plant, Potted Plant, Couch, Furniture, Animal, Cat, Mammal, Pet, Canine, Dog

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's not a bottom 10 team. The 2015-18 Canucks were a bottom 10 team. The rebuilding Blackhawks,SJS, Habs, Wings and Ducks are bottom 10 teams. The aged out Capitals and Blues are likely a bottom 10 teams.

The Canucks are what ? The 5th-6th youngest team in the league, with elite players just entering their prime years.

With the addition of Hronek, and the teams renewed commitment to to team defence (Tocchet). The D should be passable next season.

The big question is will they collapse in the first quarter of the season?  The one thing I cannot guarantee.

On paper though, I say they do have the players to compete for a playoff spot.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

It's not a bottom 10 team. The 2015-18 Canucks were a bottom 10 team. The rebuilding Blackhawks,SJS, Habs, Wings and Ducks are bottom 10 teams. The aged out Capitals and Blues are likely a bottom 10 teams.

The Canucks are what ? The 5th-6th youngest team in the league, with elite players just entering their prime years.

With the addition of Hronek, and the teams renewed commitment to to team defence (Tocchet). The D should be passable next season.

The big question is will they collapse in the first quarter of the season?  The one thing I cannot guarantee.

On paper though, I say they do have the players to compete for a playoff spot.

At this point, this team is a bottom 15 team paid like a top 3 team.

Hypotheticals and paper is fine. But we need to see it happen and we just haven't. Even the bubble run was due to a once in a lifetime pandemic pause that gave the team a play in. We still haven't seen this group succeed consistently over an 82 game stretch with an above 15th result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

We have a great 4 players, like Gawd said. That isn't even close to being enough.

Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Hronek. Give great players and in the most important positions. The retool of supporting cast continues. 105 here we come! 

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guys have to say they’re trying to come back. They want to get paid. They’re both done. LTI for sure. Zero chance either of them plays. 

They don't have say they're trying to comeback at all to get paid. If a doctor says their playing career is over they ride out their contract on LTI. Just as happened with Ferland. He even started coaching before his LTI ran out. 

50 minutes ago, DSVII said:

At this point, this team is a bottom 15 team paid like a top 3 team.

Hypotheticals and paper is fine. But we need to see it happen and we just haven't. Even the bubble run was due to a once in a lifetime pandemic pause that gave the team a play in. We still haven't seen this group succeed consistently over an 82 game stretch with an above 15th result.

100%, this core hasn't done a f**king thing, yet people are ready to crown them.

It's the same with the previous core under Horvat, nothing but underachieving, year after year.

They haven't even earned the right to have this management add more pieces.

Until they prove they're a capable bunch, im really getting tired of spending assets to fill holes on a sinking ship.

• Cheers 1