The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I dont think Doughty is recognized in LA.  Nobody goes to Vegas to catch glimpses of hockey players.  Now they have a football team and baseball team too.

I know you’re right. The anonymity is why so many guys want to play in the US. It’s not about taxes or weather. It’s about no stress away from the rink. Collect their nhl millions and walk the streets like the average Joe. 

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You realize they got to start their franchise by hand picking players? A bit of a head start.

Vancouver is a world class city and there are plenty of reasons for players to sign on here. Don't kid yourself. There's a reason they stay on here long after they're done.

Favourable taxes, anonymity, better ownership.. etc.

Vancouver is a nice place for a canadian market

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I know you’re right. The anonymity is why so many guys want to play in the US. It’s not about taxes or weather. It’s about no stress away from the rink. Collect their nhl millions and walk the streets like the average Joe. 

Me I would love to play at home if I was a hockey player and lots do.

• Like 1

Just now, LucBourdon28 said:

Favourable taxes, anonymity, better ownership.. etc.

Vancouver is a nice place for a canadian market

Nothing to do with taxes (tax laws up here are actually very favourable to these guys). Everything to do with living in anonymity. 

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Many people don't realize that Isles team could play pretty much *any* style.  Skate like the Oilers?  They had players that could do that.  Brawl like the Flyers (it wasn't THAT far removed from the peak of the Broad Street Bullies)?  They could play that way too (Clark Gillies was a legit tough guy/fighter in the heavyweight category).

Yeah it was an unbelievable team.  As mentioned the Canucks had never had anyone score 90 points.  Every team they faced in the first three rounds had a 130 point player.  Kent Nilsson in Calgary, Marcel Dionne in LA, Denis Savard in Chicago.  Then they get to the Islanders and it's a 140 point player (Bossy), a 130 point player (Trottier), two more 100 point forwards (Sutter and Tonelli), a 90 point Hall of Famer in Gillies, a bloody 100 point defenseman and then also Butch Goring etc.

It was the same thing every year in the Smythe Division.  Every team had a 130 point guy.  Dale Hawerchuk in LA.  Gretzky, Kurri and a 130 point DEFENSEMAN Coffey in Edmonton and Messier would go on to score 129.

Meanwhile the Canucks had Smyl and Gradin trying to score 80 if things went well and King Richard had to hold the fort while also sometimes leading the NHL in games played by a goalie.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

No it’s just weird you respond then play the why are you responding card. 

I can respond yet still not care what you think my reasoning is. They aren’t mutually exclusive. As it is a discussion board. 

Lol “weird” is the correct word to use.  I think anyone can read our conversation back.

Sorry for insinuating that you were bitter in some way.  Obviously I was wrong. Lol

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

Me I would love to play at home if I was a hockey player and lots do.

And there are guys who love the pressure; it makes them better. Playing and winning in a Canadian market is cool for some. But the players often have wives and kids. So the player might enjoy the limelight but they don’t want their families to experience it. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Lol “weird” is the correct word to use.  I think anyone can read our conversation back.

Sorry for insinuating that you were bitter in some way.  Obviously I was wrong. Lol

This is the Canuck board, are you lost? Why would you expect me to be happy Vegas won? Legitimate question.