The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You educated me on the talents of Hill before this series began.

I have respect for your hockey knowledge and views...

However, you do yourself a disservice overlooking how bad that the call against Tkachuk was.

I hate that player. I know many other bad calls have been made or missed.Yet, imo we should not be quiet when refs do something like punishing a guy with a 2 &10 for doing a hit that was clean AF and something that fans love to see. The game is getting softer and big hits are rare. To see one in the finals at that intensity was awesome, it could have changed the momentum of the game (even series)....but the ref decided to get in the way of that. 

We fans should always point out this crap for the integrity of the sport. Even if it means defending a rat of a player. 

100% this, dismissing awful officiating as whining does not help the game at all. Poor officiating needs to be addressed one way or another whether the league likes it or not.

• Cheers 4
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You educated me on the talents of Hill before this series began.

I have respect for your hockey knowledge and views...

However, you do yourself a disservice overlooking how bad that the call against Tkachuk was.

I hate that player. I know many other bad calls have been made or missed.Yet, imo we should not be quiet when refs do something like punishing a guy with a 2 &10 for doing a hit that was clean AF and something that fans love to see. The game is getting softer and big hits are rare. To see one in the finals at that intensity was awesome, it could have changed the momentum of the game (even series)....but the ref decided to get in the way of that. 

We fans should always point out this crap for the integrity of the sport. Even if it means defending a rat of a player. 

Hey you don't have to tell me I have seen brutal reffing over the years for sure. I just don't believe they are intentionally calling for one team or another, they are just making bad calls, period. I am surprised that they haven't done anything to improve it because it is making the sport look very bush league. 

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Hey you don't have to tell me I have seen brutal reffing over the years for sure. I just don't believe they are intentionally calling for one team or another, they are just making bad calls, period. I am surprised that they haven't done anything to improve it because it is making the sport look very bush league. 

We should always rage against poor calls. Especially in the SCF.

The post I quoted by you said 'this is great hockey'

With bad calls and it seemly getting worse, which insipres the conspiracy theories, we shouldn't call this great hockey, even bush league hockey.

Now, after a thundering open ice clean hit and an exciting potential momentum change...then we should say...'now, this, this is great hockey'

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You can bet some action would be taken if Jeremy Jacobs didn't like the men in the striped uniforms.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

100% this, dismissing awful officiating as whining does not help the game at all. Poor officiating needs to be addressed one way or another whether the league likes it or not.

I've been watching hockey for 40 years, the officiating will never get better no matter what you do. They're gonna do what they want with out any repercussions so you better get used to it. The only thing to do is be better than the other team on the ice without a shadow of a doubt.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

We should always rage against poor calls. Especially in the SCF.

The post I quoted by you said 'this is great hockey'

With bad calls and it seemly getting worse, which insipres the conspiracy theories, we shouldn't call this great hockey, even bush league hockey.

Now, after a thundering open ice clean hit and an exciting potential momentum change...then we should say...'now, this, this is great hockey'

You can make it as a big deal as you want, or, you can say "yeah that sucks" but these teams are givng there all, which is more then I can say for the regular season.

The game is not perfect, I 100% agree, but I won't let these officials interupt my thoughts on how these teams are playing right now. 

I hear the same excuses over and over and I would rather make the players accountable in overcoming what ever adversity is thrown at them, that is part of the fun of this time of the season. 

Adversity was thrown as us in 2011 and we failed, right now the Panthers are not responding well either. It's a battle to the bitter end and thats the way it should be. Are you not entertained!? ::D

This is supposed to be fun and too many are making it more serious then it should be. Remember, it's a sport, a game. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

I've been watching hockey for 40 years, the officiating will never get better no matter what you do. They're gonna do what they want with out any repercussions so you better get used to it. The only thing to do is be better than the other team on the ice without a shadow of a doubt.

This is a loser mentality, they can start by holding officials accountable, be it monetarily via a fine system, have them answer for calls in press conference.

As well as on ice changes such as removing one official from the ice altogether and be able to make a call from off the ice. Status quo is not working and doing nothing about it is beyond stupid. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You can make it as a big deal as you want, or, you can say "yeah that sucks" but these teams are givng there all, which is more then I can say for the regular season.

The game is not perfect, I 100% agree, but I won't let these officials interupt my thoughts on how these teams are playing right now. 

I hear the same excuses over and over and I would rather make the players accountable in overcoming what ever adversity is thrown at them, that is part of the fun of this time of the season. 

Adversity was thrown as us in 2011 and we failed, right now the Panthers are not responding well either. It's a battle to the bitter end and thats the way it should be. Are you not entertained!? ::D

This is supposed to be fun and too many are making it more serious then it should be. Remember, it's a sport, a game. 

I dont think I am making it a big deal. At all.

I just wanted to discuss with you as you and i had some chats coming into this series. You mentioned the talent of Hill and your admiration for Vegas. You were/are right so far.

But no, I was not very entertained last night. A 7-2 game mired with bad officiating, specifcally targeting tough play ...sucks. 

Blow outs aren't that fun. There was a lot of mention about the 'boring' Devils/Canes series for that reason. 

I agree with your final sentiment. It's just sports, however we are the people ( our wallets) that provide all involed in the NHL their earnings. We should demand a better quality product. 

33 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Ive been watching since 82. One more year than you so that makes me better. ;) ( I kid)

They absloutely have gotten worse. Softer in many ways. Such as calling bs on clean hard hits. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont think I am making it a big deal. At all.

I just wanted to discuss with you as you and i had some chats coming into this series. You mentioned the talent of Hill and your admiration for Vegas. You were/are right so far.

But no, I was not very entertained last night. A 7-2 game mired with bad officiating, specifcally targeting tough play ...sucks. 

Blow outs aren't that fun. There was a lot of mention about the 'boring' Devils/Canes series for that reason. 

I agree with your final sentiment. It's just sports, however we are the people ( our wallets) that provide all involed in the NHL their earnings. We should demand a better quality product. 

Was the blow out BECAUSE of the Officiating? Think about it. Vegas was 2/4 on the PP and Florida 0/4. 

Yes Vegas's 1st goal was a PP goal but their other PP goal was at the end of the game when the game was already far over.

I don't know what you expect to do, its been like this for a long time what are you going to do ,stop buying merch? Stop going to games? 

Really what can be done? 

I see teams overcoming adversity, whether its bad calls from the ref, injuries, poor performance of 1 or 2 players or WHY. Its how the team reacts. One of the reasons I like how Vegas plays is that they dont let anything bother them and they continue to stick to the program and remain their structure. Its quite a sight to see because I wished our beloved Canucks played that way too. THEY DON"T MAKE UP EXCUSES FOR LOSING! 

Having that mental toughness is something we don't see very much of around here. Look at Tkachuk and Bob, they are starting to show cracks in their structures. They looked so strong but crumble when their team really needs them, that says alot, and I really liked Tkachuk before recently. 

I enjoyed the game and I guess not everyone can be entertained.Some people get so invested in one team or the other though and they let their emotions get the best of them. Thats why I said its just a game, relax a little bit.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Was the blow out BECAUSE of the Officiating? Think about it. Vegas was 2/4 on the PP and Florida 0/4. 

Yes Vegas's 1st goal was a PP goal but their other PP goal was at the end of the game when the game was already far over.

I don't know what you expect to do, its been like this for a long time what are you going to do ,stop buying merch? Stop going to games? 

Really what can be done? 

I see teams overcoming adversity, whether its bad calls from the ref, injuries, poor performance of 1 or 2 players or WHY. Its how the team reacts. One of the reasons I like how Vegas plays is that they dont let anything bother them and they continue to stick to the program and remain their structure. Its quite a sight to see because I wished our beloved Canucks played that way too. THEY DON"T MAKE UP EXCUSES FOR LOSING! 

Having that mental toughness is something we don't see very much of around here. Look at Tkachuk and Bob, they are starting to show cracks in their structures. They looked so strong but crumble when their team really needs them, that says alot, and I really liked Tkachuk before recently. 

I enjoyed the game and I guess not everyone can be entertained.Some people get so invested in one team or the other though and they let their emotions get the best of them. Thats why I said its just a game, relax a little bit.

Bobrovsky simply can't seem to fight through the screens on point shots right now whether there's a PP or not.  It's starting to remind me of Luongo when he got the yips in the playoffs and the structure fell apart after a bad goal or two.  Hill is making the big saves when he needs to and right now that's the main difference.

• There it is 2

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Really what can be done? 

Bishop seems pretty relaxed to me.

One of the nicest guys on this board.

You're the poster using caps. 

Bit raw telling others to relax when you're " internet yelling ".

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Ive been watching since 82. One more year than you so that makes me better. ;) ( I kid)

They absloutely have gotten worse. Softer in many ways. Such as calling bs on clean hard hits. 

The 2 referring isn't helping. 

Sometimes the far ref calls it when the other referree stands and watches the penalty right in front of him. 

• There it is 1

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

This is a loser mentality, they can start by holding officials accountable, be it monetarily via a fine system, have them answer for calls in press conference.

As well as on ice changes such as removing one official from the ice altogether and be able to make a call from off the ice. Status quo is not working and doing nothing about it is beyond stupid. 

Careful for that which your wish for.  So far the league has made some improvements (coaches challenge kind of ... not entirely great but it does keep offside goals in check, but the ones that are close can be annoying too, when a great goal is disallowed because of 1/2 an inch - well I for one pine for the old days where it was allowed)  and mixed results, personally don't feel adding another ref is good for the game.    Adds 32 plus more refs,  and an extra body on the ice, and you just know they want to get in the game at some point and call something really week.    Instead why not allow linesman to call a major, that's what you want to punish the most anyways.     And the fans themselves can't seem to agree on things - like calling the playoffs like the regular season (no thanks, that's a terrible idea). 

Stewart, Fraser, Van Hellomand, all had their own flavour.   Stewart used to let guys play a lot rougher as long as it wasn't a penalty that resulted in a scoring chance, he usually let it go.   His regular season games, were fun to watch.    Even if we got burned sometimes, which every team did.   Fraser's hairdo, was legendary.   VH, he was the boss vet, who called it as consistently as any ref all-time.     

Playoff games are ruined by a constant special team show, based on weak calls.  Many regular season games are too.   Adding an extra ref was needed to crack down on obstruction I suppose, but it did come at a cost. 

• Cheers 1

Where was the outrage around officiating when Sam Bennett was allowed to repeatedly punch a defenceless Jake McCabe?  Or when he got nothing for choke slamming Matthew Knies?  
When folks wanted the Leafs to lose then there was no issue with the refs.  Suddenly poor officiating isn’t benefiting the team you’re cheering for and it’s the end of the world.  

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

17 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Where was the outrage around officiating when Sam Bennett was allowed to repeatedly punch a defenceless Jake McCabe?  Or when he got nothing for choke slamming Matthew Knies?  
When folks wanted the Leafs to lose then there was no issue with the refs.  Suddenly poor officiating isn’t benefiting the team you’re cheering for and it’s the end of the world.  

I guess for some but I'm not seeing people acting like the end of the world. 

I dont like bad officiating. Period. 

As the playoffs get deeper the reffing should get better. More scrutiny and having the top guys call the game.

I love Sam Bennett and would like him on our team. However, he deserves to get called more for his tomfoolary, fo-sho.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Bishop seems pretty relaxed to me.

One of the nicest guys on this board.

You're the poster using caps. 

Bit raw telling others to relax when you're " internet yelling ".

::D It's called emphasizing , but you go ahead and read it as yelling, to each their own I guess. Also, I don't believe I mentioned anything about his character to begin with, I was commenting on the discussion in general on this board. Thanks for sharing though.