The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Bennings legacy without the OEL trade. Grade him out of 10.

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

2/10

failed to deliver on any of his goals over the coarse of his time here.

to many short cuts that lead nowhere or became step backwards. 
handcuffed the team over and over. 

If I was looking for a guy to sell garbage to a dump I’d hire him because he managed to sell a mountain of BS to so many Canuck fans for a long time. 
- 2/10 NHL gm 

- 10/10 snake oil sales/excuses 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

If what Gillis did was so easy why did Nonis get fired? Why didn't ownership just say he "with this team anyone could build a contender, let's just let Nonis keep his job".

Benning had 8 years to rebuild the team. Prospects or no, you would think some progress would have achieved in both building a playoff team and the farm system. So Benning was left with nothing, it's not like he left the organization better off. Canucks are currently ranked 3rd last in prospects (https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/) and the team has not made the playoffs in 3 years. You would think 7 or 8 years results would have been better.

8 years to accumulate talent with almost no trade chips of SIGNIFICANT VALUE TO SPEED THINGS UP. How hard is that for you all to understand?

There will be picks that do not pan out, there will be picks that dont live up to the hype but do not make the impact you were hoping for, but still find a way to make themselves useful.

so if 3/7 first rounders make an instant impact, 2 more need some time and the other 2 dont pan out, your development path for 5/7 players is not the same and may take a few years for all 5 picks to be making an impact at the same time. 

Sam Bennett?

Laffrieniere?

Galchenyuk?

Patrick?

Dal Colle?

Strome?

Zacha?

Puljujarvi???

Glass??

Hischier took how long to get goin?

Hayton?

Zadina?

Kotkaniemi?

Dach?

Zadina?

Turcotte?

Byram and his concussion issues

Kakko?

Alll these picks were the same or higher than what JB got to choose from. Its going to take awhile when you are unable to. Some didnt pan out, some guys had health issues, some guys became a different type of player….

Be realistic, this team would have most certainly made playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons and I would even argue all 3 due to the COVID sh*t that went on and then our piss poor goaltending that threw away last season and arguably sh*t the bed a little too long the previous season. 

You are all too focused on the “big picture” and not the whole picture. We missed by 3 effing wins last season, Martin had to be our saviour this season but instead he was our sieve.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

8 years to accumulate talent with almost no trade chips of SIGNIFICANT VALUE TO SPEED THINGS UP. How hard is that for you all to understand?

There will be picks that do not pan out, there will be picks that dont live up to the hype but do not make the impact you were hoping for, but still find a way to make themselves useful.

so if 3/7 first rounders make an instant impact, 2 more need some time and the other 2 dont pan out, your development path for 5/7 players is not the same and may take a few years for all 5 picks to be making an impact at the same time. 

Sam Bennett?

Laffrieniere?

Galchenyuk?

Patrick?

Dal Colle?

Strome?

Zacha?

Puljujarvi???

Glass??

Hayton?

Zadina?

Kotkaniemi?

Dach?

Zadina?

Turcotte?

Kakko?

Alll these picks were the same or higher than what JB got to choose from. Its going to take awhile when you are unable to. Some didnt pan out, some guys had health issues, some guys became a different type of player….

Be realistic, this team would have most certainly made playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons and I would even argue all 3 due to the COVID sh*t that went on and then our piss poor goaltending that threw away last season and arguably sh*t the bed a little too long the previous season. 

You are all too focused on the “big picture” and not the whole picture. We missed by 3 effing wins last season, Martin had to be our saviour this season but instead he was our sieve.

Can I ask you a personal question ... why do you always sound so upset. Don't take fandom too seriously the last thing we want to be are Star Wars level of fandom, 

Benning missed 2 out of the 3 seasons due to covid and then goal tending. I think we a few more excuses to realize things are starting to become just that, excuses. Also Covid isn't an excuse because other teams also had to endure the pandemic just like the Canucks.  

Benning has more than enough time to build a team even if he had little assets when he started 8 years is enough to at least build a respectable farm system with much better depth. Look at the Devils you see their current roster now they have twice the players the Canucks have in the main roster that were drafted by them in 2014 or later. 

And I don't believe Benning had no trade chips I mean he got a 1st and 3rd round pick for Kesler, and a 2nd for Garrisson ... admittedly those are pretty good hauls but of course he squandered those picks. Also players like Vrbata, Miller, Hamhius, and Edler all amounted to 0 assets. And the picks Benning gave up for guys like Prust, Gudbransson, Sutter, etc. You think these are small things but basically, as Thomas Drance would say, death by a thousand cuts. You inflict all these little things on the team and evetually they accumulate.   

Point is Benning had every opportunity and time to build this team into a respectable one. And all we got to show for it is a bubble playoff run (which I still argue doesn't really count in the grand scheme of things). The bubble happened it was a fun time, but there was really nothing from the bubble you could really carry over moving forward.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Can I ask you a personal question ... why do you always sound so upset. Don't take fandom too seriously the last thing we want to be are Star Wars level of fandom, 

Benning missed 2 out of the 3 seasons due to covid and then goal tending. I think we a few more excuses to realize things are starting to become just that, excuses. Also Covid isn't an excuse because other teams also had to endure the pandemic just like the Canucks.  

Benning has more than enough time to build a team even if he had little assets when he started 8 years is enough to at least build a respectable farm system with much better depth. Look at the Devils you see their current roster now they have twice the players the Canucks have in the main roster that were drafted by them in 2014 or later. 

And I don't believe Benning had no trade chips I mean he got a 1st and 3rd round pick for Kesler, and a 2nd for Garrisson ... admittedly those are pretty good hauls but of course he squandered those picks. Also players like Vrbata, Miller, Hamhius, and Edler all amounted to 0 assets. And the picks Benning gave up for guys like Prust, Gudbransson, Sutter, etc. You think these are small things but basically, as Thomas Drance would say, death by a thousand cuts. You inflict all these little things on the team and evetually they accumulate.   

Point is Benning had every opportunity and time to build this team into a respectable one. And all we got to show for it is a bubble playoff run (which I still argue doesn't really count in the grand scheme of things). The bubble happened it was a fun time, but there was really nothing from the bubble you could really carry over moving forward.

heh, no bargaining chips....let a goalie walk for nothing that was *SECOND* in Vezina votes the 2nd year he was off the team.  

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Sam Bennett?

Laffrieniere?

Galchenyuk?

Patrick?

Dal Colle?

Strome?

Zacha?

Puljujarvi???

Glass??

Hayton?

Zadina?

Kotkaniemi?

Dach?

Zadina?

Turcotte?

Kakko?

Keep digging.

"8 years to accumulate talent"    That is asking waaaaaaaay too much.  Didn't Gillis trade away the next eight years of #1 picks?  Oh..

Actually Gillis only traded away a #1 round pick once.  And was just before the season we went to the Cup final. To add to the blue line.  Perfectly understandable as Salo, Bieksa, and Mitchell all had injury troubles . Even if it didn't work out (Ballard).  And this was the #25 overall. A reasonable gamble.  Benning traded two, and both in the top ten.  One a disaster, Gudbranson, and the other for Miller, who was a decent return,  but the timing was way off for where the team was.  Then he impatiently traded away the number one pick McCann, and promising picks like Forsling before he was even given a shot here.

A GM job is also about developing the players already drafted like Hansen, Burrows, Kesler, and convincing them to sign team friendly contracts. Sedins included. 

And finding decent support players, good in the playoffs, like Max Lapierre, Chris Higgins, Raffi Torres.  And again, not overpaying them. Adding Hamhuis and Erhoff and a young Tanev on the blue line.  

anywoo, this is only the tip of the iceberg.  Haven't even touched on the front office politics, the pro-scouting, LE, OEL, the baffling re-signings of players like Virtanen. Over paying players like Pearson, Beagle. The buyouts from previous bad deals.  Its almost  surreal how much damage one hapless GM can do.

I said I'd give JR 3 years.  At first I was thinking contender. Now, after having the time and hindsight on just how damaging Benning has been,  I'll be happy if in 3 years JR just brings this franchise back to a 'normal' state. ie, a decent farm, rated at least mid pack.  Petey signed. Myers and OEL figured out somehow, along with it an above average blue line. To  where we are at least a 7th or 8th place team, and improving still.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Sam Bennett?

Laffrieniere?

Galchenyuk?

Patrick?

Dal Colle?

Strome?

Zacha?

Puljujarvi???

Glass??

Hayton?

Zadina?

Kotkaniemi?

Dach?

Zadina?

Turcotte?

Kakko?

lol... saying we are even "close to playoffs the last 2 seasons" is the saddest excuse ever. 

We were horrible the last 2 seasons. 

I used to like JB. I always hated the LE signing.  I can understand the oel signing because great d are hard to come by and I thought his decline was due to being in Arizona. 

But I lost all faith in Benning when he hung on to green for so long. 

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Maybe take a look at the Devils yourself?

Could contain: Page, Text

My count is 10/13 years have been early tee times.

How many 1OA?

Hischier and Hughes?

How many top 10 picks the last 15 years? 7?

Playoffs only twice in 13 years?? Buddy JB has 2 years of playoffs under his belt while rebuilding from scratch in nearly half the amount of time.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

I guess you missed the 2020-21 season entirely eh?

You can write off the 2020-2021 season but be sure to then write off the 2019-20 season as well, as who knows if the Canucks even make the playoffs without the play-in. Not to mention the round 1 opponent being a Blues team that was ravaged by COVID. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by Toews
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

And a 4-8mil cap increase came to a dead halt right after acquiring Toffoli and having RFA negotiations coming up with Boeser, Demko, Hughes and Pettersson. He cut bait, saved 1.5 mil in cap space by letting Tanev Toffoli and Markstrom walk. Finding a way to save 1.5 mil in cap space in a flattened cap and uncertain times was no easy task. Needed to find replacement level players, Schmidt by all the numbers and his health was an upgrade on Tanev. Holtby was a short term deal and brought cup winning experience to help with Demko’s transition into a starting role. The only one where he had a lesser value move was resigning Pearson over Toffoli. But it all comes down to $. Managed to sign QH on a very team friendly deal. Demko on a very good deal, Boeser has had a rough go, understandably so, Petey took a bridge deal to help the #’s work. Benning managed to do very well in a very sh*tty situation. Cant blame him for Demko having a slow start two years in a row, Pettersson taking over 1/2 of a season to get going, or COVID decimating a team, putting our season on pause and ending Sutters career.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

You can write off the 2020-2021 season but be sure to then write off the 2019-20 season as well, as who knows if the Canucks even make the playoffs without the play-in. Not to mention the round 1 opponent being a Blues team that was ravaged by COVID. You can't have it both ways.

Lmfao so one season where they actually earned it, no excuses for any teams, the teams that were close got an opportunity to play a “play-in” series and lost fair and square.

every team had the same circumstances.

2020-21, how many teams got out on pause for a month? How many teams had 19 games in 30 days after being wiped out by a pandemic?

oh and by the way, everyone thinking 19 games in 30  days was an insane schedule…. Van opened that season with 18 games in 30 days

37/56 games were jammed so heavily together. No other team in the league had as vicious of a schedule.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, DSVII said:

I re-summarize my posts. In fact, from all the posts you couldn't even reply to because frankly, you have no good counter argument. 

Sound like my ex bud. Cant wait til I have time to reply to you? Wasnt going to half ass it. I said I would. You are waiting so eagerly to hear back from me. Want an autograph and a selfie? You sure want my attention pretty damn bad.

Edited by AnthonyG

41 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

JB has 2 years of playoffs under his belt while rebuilding from scratch in nearly half the amount of time.

That is a very dishonest way of discussion.

First playoff he had Gillis team.

Second playoff we got lucky and didn’t ha e to qualifie the right way.

18 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

And a 4-8mil cap increase came to a dead halt right after acquiring Toffoli and having RFA negotiations coming up with Boeser, Demko, Hughes and Pettersson. He cut bait, saved 1.5 mil in cap space by letting Tanev Toffoli and Markstrom walk. Finding a way to save 1.5 mil in cap space in a flattened cap and uncertain times was no easy task. Needed to find replacement level players, Schmidt by all the numbers and his health was an upgrade on Tanev. Holtby was a short term deal and brought cup winning experience to help with Demko’s transition into a starting role. The only one where he had a lesser value move was resigning Pearson over Toffoli. But it all comes down to $. Managed to sign QH on a very team friendly deal. Demko on a very good deal, Boeser has had a rough go, understandably so, Petey took a bridge deal to help the #’s work. Benning managed to do very well in a very sh*tty situation. Cant blame him for Demko having a slow start two years in a row, Pettersson taking over 1/2 of a season to get going, or COVID decimating a team, putting our season on pause and ending Sutters career.

You probably missed the little bit that Benning used all cap space so he couldn’t do squat.

Bennings fault all the way.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, combover said:

2/10

failed to deliver on any of his goals over the coarse of his time here.

to many short cuts that lead nowhere or became step backwards. 
handcuffed the team over and over. 

If I was looking for a guy to sell garbage to a dump I’d hire him because he managed to sell a mountain of BS to so many Canuck fans for a long time. 
- 2/10 NHL gm 

- 10/10 snake oil sales/excuses 

Yup. Worst GM we’ve ever had. And to think our owner kept Benning longer than he kept Gillis. That’s the Gillis who built clubs that won two presidents trophies and had two games to win the cup. And he also was voted by his peers as the GM of the year. He accomplished a lot in his six years with us. Then Benning the worst GM ever gets to destroy our club for 8 friggin’ years! Our owner must be a dough head. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

37 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Lmfao so one season where they actually earned it, no excuses for any teams, the teams that were close got an opportunity to play a “play-in” series and lost fair and square.

every team had the same circumstances.

2020-21, how many teams got out on pause for a month? How many teams had 19 games in 30 days after being wiped out by a pandemic?

oh and by the way, everyone thinking 19 games in 30  days was an insane schedule…. Van opened that season with 18 games in 30 days

37/56 games were jammed so heavily together. No other team in the league had as vicious of a schedule.

That was my point, there are no excuses in sports. If you are healthy enough to play then you had better deliver or you have failed. Good teams find ways to win games despite adversity. All I see you do is find excuses to deflect failure from Jim Benning. From your history of emotional outbursts about this topic, I think you are a bigger fan of Benning than you are the Canucks. I confess I find it quite baffling this attachment that you feel towards a GM that is considered a joke among most fans who follow the sport. No one... I will repeat it, absolutely no one... wants their team to hire Jim Benning. 

• There it is 2

16 hours ago, Timråfan said:

That is a very dishonest way of discussion.

First playoff he had Gillis team.

Second playoff we got lucky and didn’t ha e to qualifie the right way.

You probably missed the little bit that Benning used all cap space so he couldn’t do squat.

Bennings fault all the way.

First playoff team he had a Gillis team?????? Are you kidding?????

daniel

henrik

burrows

bieksa

hansen

edler

- Burke guys

vrbata

Miller

Sbisa

bonino

baertschi

vey

- Benning guys

lol ready for Gillis’s “team”

Matthias lmao

DUI Kassian

Richardson

Higgins

Lack

Hamhuis

Tanev

Stanton

Weber

What a sick team Gillis. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

That was my point, there are no excuses in sports. If you are healthy enough to play then you had better deliver or you have failed. Good teams find ways to win games despite adversity. All I see you do is find excuses to deflect failure from Jim Benning. From your history of emotional outbursts about this topic, I think you are a bigger fan of Benning than you are the Canucks. I confess I find it quite baffling this attachment that you feel towards a GM that is considered a joke among most fans who follow the sport. No one... I will repeat it, absolutely no one... wants their team to hire Jim Benning. 

Lmao how many job offers did the almight Gillass get?

Its the stupidity and ignorance of you “fans” that baffles me. Praising a guy who ran a team into the ground in under 5 years and did nothing for the future, then sh*tting all over the next guy who has to pick up the pieces and start all over with nothing of significant value outside of Kesler who held the keys to his own destination. All those NMC and NTCs sure must have been easy to work around, especially aged out declining guys who have very little left in the tank hence all the early retirements. Yea blame the guy who made playoffs twice, survived the flat cap and only lost a dman whos been injured most of the time, a goalie who appears to clearly be overrated and toffoli. Woopty f***ing-doo. All guys headed down hill and would have done nothing to help our cause. Clearly they couldnt do it in Calgary, I highly doubt they would have done any different here.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol... saying we are even "close to playoffs the last 2 seasons" is the saddest excuse ever. 

We were horrible the last 2 seasons. 

Goaltending and Pettersson.

Everyone else pulled their weight. This team has had no issues scoring. Truth of the matter is goal scoring in this league  is hard, stopping the puck shouldnt be such an issue, but that was and was our biggest issue.

• Haha 1