The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

22 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Whats hilarious is that we finally got rid of Luongo's recapture penalty, than assumed Holtby's and Virtanen's buyout, and now as that ends, OEL's buyout begins.  Its like we like having dead cap for fun

Dead cap masters, Gillis started the country club and now it's a path to greener pastures. The Vancouver G+C Green Acres. Where we treat you like family.

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

OEL didn’t work here. He wasn’t going to work he. It sucks but there is a path it works out better than keeping him for the remaining contract. 

OEL had to be replaced regardless of being bought out or not.

we needed a top 4 LHD to push him to a third pairing anyways. And with Hronek now he wouldn’t be getting any PP time unless there were injuries. 

Well aside from the fact we don't actually know the future (OEL was fine two seasons ago and terrible this past season).... that literally has nothing to do with the post I was responding to.

It was claimed that the buyout will save the owners $10 million in real dollars.  I simply pointed out that isn't true as OEL's roster spot actually has to get replaced.  If we are upgrading from him, it will be several million per year.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually the buyout saves 10 million. 

No it means OEL got bought out and the owners, who so many hate on these boards, just opened their wallets for us fans yet again.     Maybe they should get the heck out of hockey ops now.   Not the first time either.  Did it for Booth and Ballard.     They will be paying 2/3 of what their portion of OEL's salary for 8 years.   Not a way to run a club.    Hope they stay far far away from this point forward.   That's a lot of money. 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Well aside from the fact we don't actually know the future (OEL was fine two seasons ago and terrible this past season).... that literally has nothing to do with the post I was responding to.

It was claimed that the buyout will save the owners $10 million in real dollars.  I simply pointed out that isn't true as OEL's roster spot actually has to get replaced.  If we are upgrading from him, it will be several million per year.

And it was pointed by @mll that OEL was to be paid 10 mil this coming season. 

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Gross, shades of the Dickinson trade. Should have given him at least another season to see if he could bounce back. 

I'd imagine he'll bounce back now and be a top player for someone else. Here I am trying to teach my siblings to spend more responsibly and you have grown adults throwing around money like lingerie at a strip club. Yikes, all that's left is to wonder how they blow this cap space to smithereens with contracts just as bad or worse. :shock: lol the life of a Canuck fan.

• elephant 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No it means OEL got bought out and the owners, who so many hate on these boards, just opened their wallets for us fans yet again.     Maybe they should get the heck out of hockey ops now.   Not the first time either.  Did it for Booth and Ballard.     They will be paying 2/3 of what their portion of OEL's salary for 8 years.   Not a way to run a club.    Hope they stay far far away from this point forward.   That's a lot of money. 

Not the fans’ money. This buyout helps our club a lot. Plus it takes OEL out of the room. The other players want to win. They are excited he’s gone because they know the club is doing what it takes to build a winner. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Looks terrible but let’s hope guenther busts and we get soemthing for garland so it just looks like one of the Canucks worst trades and not the worst trade in league history lol

OEL being bought out seems a rather strong indication that there's no trade market for Garland.  Teams were willing to take him if Vancouver added a sweetener and it was likely too expensive.  Now that they can't get the sweetener there's little point for those teams to trade for Garland.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd imagine he'll bounce back now and be a top player for someone else. Here I am trying to teach my siblings to spend more responsibly and you have grown adults throwing around money like lingerie at a strip club. Yikes, all that's left is to wonder how they blow this cap space to smithereens with contracts just as bad or worse. :shock: lol the life of a Canuck fan.

Benning is gone. Drink booze and celebrate the great job new management is doing. image.jpeg.8e9404fc8638c6b431079422362b9344.jpeg

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Thought he should have given him 1 more year to see how he was completely healthy and played under Tocc. Now we have to bring in a left shot D that can play top 4 because Myers will be gone as well

Yeah, don't worry about the right side it will be fine.

Hughes Poolman

Graves Bear

Hirose Salo

Things are looking up.

27 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Looks terrible but let’s hope guenther busts and we get soemthing for garland so it just looks like one of the Canucks worst trades and not the worst trade in league history lol

Definitely looks like an all time bad trade already. Most of the other all time bad trades are all time great players getting traded for nothing. I doubt Guenther becomes an all time great, but we didn't trade him for nothing. We traded him for 2 years of meh play and 8 years of dead cap. At the very least, Garland is a good middle 6 guy. But trading a potentially good guy for no value is actually better than trading a good guy for all time negative value. Hey, we can add this trade to the Cam Neely trade. Cause our franchise wasn't embarrassing enough. Gotta update that résumé.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning is gone. Drink booze and celebrate the great job new management is doing. image.jpeg.8e9404fc8638c6b431079422362b9344.jpeg

Two head coaches under contract. Until I see a direction from this new management I'll hold judgement of your statement Alf. A glut of forwards, two bonifide NHL centers, (EP and JT), ONE NHL calibre D, and a supporting cast of 8 suspects, a true NHL starting goaltender when healthy, and not overplayed, all since this management group came in. It's their team, let's hold back on the back patting for now.

Edited by johngould21

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Two head coaches under contract. Until I see a direction from this new management I'll hold judgement of your statement Alf. A glut of forwards, two bonifide NHL centers, (EP and JT), ONE NHL calibre D, and a supporting cast of 8 suspects, a true NHL starting goaltender when healthy, and not overplayed, all since this management group came in. It's their team, let's hold back on the back patting for now.

Hughes and Hronek are both excellent players. We have an elite young core. The direction of this management is clear. They are building a younger and better club that will win. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes and Hronek are both excellent players. We have an elite young core. The direction of this management is clear. They are building a younger and better club that will win. 

In all honesty have you seen him play on a regular basis? I know for sure I haven't, when I did he was playing the Canucks as not too many Wing games are on TV.

Edited by johngould21

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well we don’t have any OEL IFS anymore to think about. Didn’t see the full context for sure just hopped in there.

30 minutes ago, mll said:

OEL being bought out seems a rather strong indication that there's no trade market for Garland.  Teams were willing to take him if Vancouver added a sweetener and it was likely too expensive.  Now that they can't get the sweetener there's little point for those teams to trade for Garland.

Not necessarily. It could just be the evaluation of OEL, them betting on their pro scouting to replace him and build a better D core with the cap constraints they have and giving themselves a lot of breathing room to make moves or be creative this off-season where a lot of teams are in cap hell.

also trade negations just got easier for us as we aren’t in a position of weakness : desperation now.