The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Just now, DeNiro said:

Graves is a UFA in less than two weeks.

Wouldn’t need to trade anything other than a mid round pick for his rights.

Yes but 5M of free cap space would be quite nice, a lot of people are talking about adding a sweetener to move Garland...

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yes but 5M of free cap space would be quite nice, a lot of people are talking about adding a sweetener to move Garland...

NJD doesn't have that kind of cap space.  Sharangovich who makes less than Garland could be on the move as they don't have the cap to extend him.

Fitzgerald has already identified their lack of size up front as a concern last off-season.  Showed in the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If they want Garland or Beau, we effectively transfer cap space from wing to defence, while keeping our newfound cap space and the mid round pick. Yep, I’d do that. Maybe Sharangovich could be involved too.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

If they want Garland or Beau, we effectively transfer cap space from wing to defence, while keeping our newfound cap space and the mid round pick. Yep, I’d do that. Maybe Sharangovich could be involved too.

I’ve never seen a player with term traded for a pending UFA. Literally never happens.

If Jersey wanted a winger they would explore their options in free agency and then circle back to a player like Garland if they were still interested.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I’ve never seen a player with term traded for a pending UFA. Literally never happens.

If Jersey wanted a winger they would explore their options in free agency and then circle back to a player like Garland if they were still interested.

Me neither….don’t expect it to happen

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

NJD's lack of size in the playoffs was apparent.  Was already something noted by Fitzgerald last off-season.  

They also don't have the cap space to make that move.  If they lose Graves they need another LD.  Sharangovich could be moved over cap concerns - he makes much less than Beauvillier or Garland.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

NJD doesn't have that kind of cap space.  Sharangovich who makes less than Garland could be on the move as they don't have the cap to extend him.

Fitzgerald has already identified their lack of size up front as a concern last off-season.  Showed in the playoffs.  

Yeah, reading more about NJD’s off-season, they will be looking to clear cap for Meier, then Mercer

Just now, mll said:

NJD's lack of size in the playoffs was apparent.  Was already something noted by Fitzgerald last off-season.  

They also don't have the cap space to make that move.  If they lose Graves they need another LD.  Sharangovich could be moved over cap concerns - he makes much less than Beauvillier or Garland.  

copy that. 

Did NJD give CLB the chance to talk to Severson’s agent before trading the pick? Was it more of a sign and trade, vs. simply trading for his rights?

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

copy that. 

Did NJD give CLB the chance to talk to Severson’s agent before trading the pick? Was it more of a sign and trade, vs. simply trading for his rights?

Yes - was the only team granted permission.  They negotiated the contract with his agent before making the deal.  Was necessary for him to get the 8 years.  CBJ couldn't have signed him to an 8 year deal as only the team that had the player at the TDL can - had to be done via NJD.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Yes - was the only team granted permission.  They negotiated the contract with his agent before making the deal.  Was necessary for him to get the 8 years.  CBJ couldn't have signed him to an 8 year deal as only the team that had the player at the TDL can - had to be done via NJD.  

Thanks..forgot about the 8th year being a factor. Hopefully Graves isn’t seeking an 8 year deal

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

They are going to go hard after Barbashev, which I'm fine with (only if they move Garland or Boeser) If they could get Barbashev on a 5x5 I'd do that deal. You would basically be swapping out Garland's 5 million for Barbashev who is 6'2 200 and has 2 cups. Barbashev has that hard nose skill we lack. These are the types of deals you do. 

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuz (speed and high skill line)

Barbashev-Miller-Boeser (hard skill and can throw the body. Two big wingers to get in on the forecheck to battle. Boeser has improved in this area)

Beauvillier-________-Hoglander (speed and hard on the puck. Will give complimently scoring ability)

Joshua-Aman-PDG (cheap, hard working 4th line)

Let Podkolzin cook in the AHL till the TDL. Then maybe trade Beauvillier and Pods slides in. Also injuries will happen

If they shoot their load on Barbashev we still have no 3rd line C, no new D and no new 2nd round pick. Don’t like that move.

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

"Listen to people and treat people as you find them. There's an inherent goodness in most people. Don't pre-judge people - that was me Mam's advice anyway"

Richard Sharpe's knows:

Two actors who played James Bond villains duel:

:)

The Vancouver Canucks bought out the final four years of Oliver Ekman-Larsson’s contract over the weekend and Jeff Marek and Elliott Friedman spoke about some of the potential fallout from that move on the latest episode of 32 Thoughts.

Ekman-Larsson is set to now hit the open market on July 1 and Marek pointed out the Boston Bruins have been a team that in the past had shown interest in acquiring the defenceman. Friedman chimed in to say Ekman-Larsson also liked the Bruins.

Boston is a team potentially set to lose Dmitry Orlov in free agency. Keeo in mind the Bruins already have seven blueliners under contract for 2023-24 with six of them carrying salary cap hits of at least $3 million.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/rumour-roundup-ekman-larsson-fallout-interest-in-brown-leafs-coaching-staff-search/

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I would like to take this moment, regardless of how unpopular it may be with some fans, to thank ownership for bucking up and eating this terrible contract. This hits their pocket book hard and they did not cheap out on a necessary move to make this team competitive. The Canucks were never going far with OEL in the lineup. Period.

As I’ve said many times before, they care, they want to win and they are big fans. 

Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

I had dismissed the buyout as a possibility because I didn’t think ownership would eat the contract.  Was hoping he’d bounce back, as it was the best possible outcome.

Having read the arguments for the buyout now that it’s done, I’m on board.

• Cheers 4