The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Carson Soucy

53 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

We have tons of space, and will have more

Poolman and Pearson are LTIR. If not, Poolman would have been bought out (500k cap hit for buyout).

12m for:

1. Soucy (3m)

2. Reilly (3m)

3. Carlo (4.1m)

Theyre not done yet either, still too many wingers, one is getting moved. Even if it means some retention or attaching a pick. Though I think if its Beauvillier we wont have to part with much/anything. 

I like the way you’re thinking here - Soucy alone does very little to move the needle beyond adding a nice 16-18 minute guy with size. 

If we really want to take a step forward there needs to be top 4 level player to pair with Hughes or Hronek.. but it’ll cost / take some finesse to pry them away.

• Like 2

How weird is it seeing people write “we have tons of cap space”. I know it’s probably gonna be short lived but man i don’t think I remember a time in the last 15 years where we had this much cap space (LTIR)

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Good target.  Likely a cheaper option and brings good value.  Stay away from Graves and Mayfield.  They'll be the top UFAs, which means $5M to $6M each for them.  Soucy should be in the $4M to $4.5M range. 

I still think he will get somewhere in the 3-3.5 range with term. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, billabong said:

4m/5yr deal is reasonable 

Severson kinda raised the bar on all the following dman UFA contracts 

He's a RHD. Much more coveted. For example if Myers was a LHD, there's no way he would have got 6 million per, would have got 4-4.5, based on his size, physicality and skating. 

No matter how you look at it, Soucy would be a great addition to our lineup. Real gud....

$3.2 x 5 would be amazing, but even $3.5/3.75 x 4 would be excellent

This blueline has the potential to finally be rid of the crap that's been floating around back there for the better part of 10 years...no more OEL's, C-Giraffes, or chronically injured players eating cap like it's candy.

I think JR/PA have the vision to get it done, and I even think that FA is on board too...:towel::canucks:

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Tower102 said:

The Daily Faceoff projecting a three-year deal at $2.5 million for Soucy this summer.

They were low on Gavrikov and Severson, so Soucy probably gets a year or two more for 1-1.5 million more. 

If its 3/4 years at 3-3.5m I do it for sure, I would consider up to 4. Not longer term or anything above 4 though.

I would be very okay with a Soucy bet.

My concern would be though is he a solid bottom pairing, PK guy. Or could he be elevated and play top 4 minutes with a dman like Hronek.

Perhaps stylistically they fit and he is capable of the tougher minutes when paired with him. But it is a gamble. 

And I would hope the term wouldn't be too long. 

Because if we trade for a LHD for Hronek and then sign Soucy for our bottom Pairing that would be pretty interesting.

2 hours ago, billabong said:

Gavrikov as well. Almost 6mil for a more defensive minded guy. Severson got that right hand tax I guess. Lol. 4m for Soucy is fair. He doesn't eat as many minutes as the bigger fish. Doesn't seem to be a big time shutdown guy either given his deployment is more ozone than dzone. If Graves' asking price is closer to Gavrikov money, I can see management preferring the cheaper option in Soucy.

I do really like Soucy but he can't be the answer to our problems on D. OEL was bad, no doubt about it, but he was a pretty consistent 20-22 minute defenceman. Sure, that's on bad teams, but Soucy averages around 16 minutes a night. Great physicality, great defensively, alright on the PK, but he's a big step down from the top targets this off-season like Graves, Gavrikov and Hanifin.

For our bottom pairing I really don't mind Hirose and Myers, or Rathbone in there at LD as well, but then that's it for small guys. If we're looking to get an LD to replace OEL, sure we could target Soucy but he rarely plays over 20 minutes a night. It's a gamble. You know what that means - poor Hughes is going to get wrecked with 25-30 minutes a night, Soucy at around 18 minutes and Hirose or Rathbone will eat like 12-15 minutes. We need a real sold 20-22 minute guy to take a big load off Hughes. Soucy is far from a top defender but he's a fantastic (if not one of the best) depth guys.

We could cut it so many ways - we could acquire Soucy but then really should go hunting for a solid top-4 guy to play with Hughes like 20+ minutes a night...or...my preferred option would be to go after a really solid 20-22 minute LD who is mainly solid defensively - for example, Hanifin, M Pettersson, Graves to name a few, and then just plonk some 16 minute guy with Hughes (a bit like how we did with Schenn). Hughes can carry any partner but I don't think Hronek can. I know it's a small sample size but Hronek was great with Hughes, pretty bad when playing with other guys.

Not sure if Soucy can play defensively well on the right but boy would that be a perfect match of both worlds - we sign him for like what...2-3M and play him with Hughes mainly for 5-on-5 and PK minutes so he will probably rack up 16-17 minutes a night.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We could cut it so many ways - we could acquire Soucy but then really should go hunting for a solid top-4 guy to play with Hughes like 20+ minutes a night...or...my preferred option would be to go after a really solid 20-22 minute LD who is mainly solid defensively - for example, Hanifin, M Pettersson, Graves to name a few, and then just plonk some 16 minute guy with Hughes (a bit like how we did with Schenn). Hughes can carry any partner but I don't think Hronek can. I know it's a small sample size but Hronek was great with Hughes, pretty bad when playing with other guys.

There's a name I haven't seened mentioned in a while and I agree that I'm not completely sold on Soucy, especially at UFA prices.

Rumours were we were interested in MP but couldn't swing a deal.  Maybe this is where our many wingers can be dealt for a dman.  

2 hours ago, billabong said:

Severson was also arguably the top defenseman in this UFA class and he signed in Columbus. Columbus is not a "discount" destination.

If Soucy likes the Pacific Northwest style than there's a chance he may sign for fair value considering he is an Alberta kid (close to home) and doubt Calgary or Edmonton will be in play for him as they have depth in on LD. Soucy would be PK1 and play top 4 on 5 on 5, he'd get 20+ minutes a night consistently here.

4 years x 3.5 m would be great

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

How would that work? We don't have much cap space after Soucy unless we are getting rid of salary in the same trade

if Pearson and Poolman are LTIR it would work, Canucks have 12+ in cap space. All depends what Soucy would sign for.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

The Canucks are going to need players performing well on cheap contracts in order to be successful, so I would rather give a shot to someone like Hirose.

I see, why you would say that, but that's a huge risk. Hirose looked good, but the Left side of our D is pitiful after OEL. 

2 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

Really hope we just wait and see who falls to us for very good value.... doubt this will happen.

That would be nice, but with a weak FA class to begin with I expect teams fighting over players as per usual and overpaying with term, $$$$ and trade protection etc

45 minutes ago, bh90 said:

if Pearson and Poolman are LTIR it would work, Canucks have 12+ in cap space. All depends what Soucy would sign for.

We have more than enough cap space for a 3rd line Center, Minute munching LHD and a gritty bottom 6 player.