The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Ryan Johansen to Avalanche for Alex Galchenyuk‘s rights

Just now, HKSR said:

$4M for a 3C is a lot though.  Avs are gonna use him as a 2C I think.

Its really not though.... we also could have traded JT for multiple firsts at the trade deadline and then made this trade for that 2nd line centre we desperately needed.... just goes to show the short sightedness of this team again and again and again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

$4M for a 3C is a lot though.  Avs are gonna use him as a 2C I think.

Yep this was not the move for us.

If we’re spending 4 mil it needs to be for D.

Getting a third line center shouldn’t cost us more than 3 mil. Not to mention we tried stacking the middle already and it failed miserably…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

I can't believe we missed this opportunity....

I would have been excited about this for the Canucks, not gonna lie.

This also gives clarity on Garland’s reported value, having teams asking for sweeteners. This tells me that was more about the premium placed on cap space

At the end the season Trotz was saying that Johansen was trying to catch a running train.  He would have been C4 at best with Glass, Novak, Sissons ahead of him.  

That's a deal to clear his roster spot and gain some cap space rather than buy him out or bury him in the AHL. 

A buyout would have had a lower cap hit (2.7M for 4 years) but Nashville not looking to compete just yet.  They would still have his dead cap on the books (year 3 and 4) when they are trying and come out of their re-set so trade with retention the better approach.  

Johansen has not been worth his contract.  They were able to move 4M without adding a sweetener or a prospect.  Likely no other team was interested.  Colorado hopes he can rebound but Nashville focused on development the next 2 seasons and don't need to see if a vet that won't be part of their future can get his game back on track.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Sell.the.team said:

Its really not though.... we also could have traded JT for multiple firsts at the trade deadline and then made this trade for that 2nd line centre we desperately needed.... just goes to show the short sightedness of this team again and again and again. 

I rather have JT as 2C and spend on a guy like Acciari or Kampf for 3C and use more cap on a top 4D.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep this was not the move for us.

If we’re spending 4 mil it needs to be for D.

Getting a third line center shouldn’t cost us more than 3 mil. Not to mention we tried stacking the middle already and it failed miserably…

Agreed. RJ as a $4M is an unaffordable luxury for a team with 3 nhl defenders 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Now what will Jusse Saros' future be? Nashville going into full tear down mode?

I was wondering that too, tear down mode or what ever other description can be used for rebuild. Nashville made some huge moves , bringing in Berry Trotz as new GM for starters coupled with new coaching. To your point I think we watch what happens to Saros. 
This is a seemingly smart management group that may just tweak the line up. 

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

I would have been excited about this for the Canucks, not gonna lie.

This also gives clarity on Garland’s reported value, having teams asking for sweeteners. This tells me that was more about the premium placed on cap space

Shocking concept huh?

• Wat 1

If anything, this shows us the value of our $6.5M cap space. 

Before we look at any UFA, we should be exploring at taking on our greatest needs at LD, RD, 3C in a similar trade.

CBJ may want to clear cap space to make a run at Hayes. Is cap space valuable enough to get Roslovic retained and Peeke for FC?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

If anything, this shows us the value of our $6.5M cap space. 

Before we look at any UFA, we should be exploring at taking on our greatest needs at LD, RD, 3C in a similar trade.

CBJ may want to clear cap space to make a run at Hayes. Is cap space valuable enough to get Roslovic retained and Peeke for FC?

Yeah I think cap space is infinitely more valuable this off season than ever before.

The cap has only gone up $2m over 4 years.  The contracts handed out haven't slowed down, so there's less and less cap league wide to work with.  Teams that are cap crunched are gonna pay a huge premium this offseason to unload cap.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aqua59 said:

I was wondering that too, tear down mode or what ever other description can be used for rebuild. Nashville made some huge moves , bringing in Berry Trotz as new GM for starters coupled with new coaching. To your point I think we watch what happens to Saros. 
This is a seemingly smart management group that may just tweak the line up. 

Trotz says he's willing to listen on Saros.  He's looking for a top-10 pick.  

Trotz says they are caught in the mushy middle and need to take a step back.  He says you need an elite team to win a Cup and Nashville doesn't have what it takes.  He also wants to change the culture where he wants to bring in winners.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Yeah dude, this is a wild move. 

There has to be something else in the works for NSH one thinks...

Or they are starting to really go tear down mode. 

I wonder if they are considering moving Saros to Toronto in exchange for one of Marner or Matthews?

18 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

No, it reinforces Garland has value with contracts coming back. Something you missed

Don't really see how it does.  Garland seems to be in the Johansen situation where they'll have a hard time finding a taker.  Seravalli talks of price too high to move him.

He's been on the block for quite some time.  Kind of seems an indication that there's limited interest, the sweetener is too high or teams want to send even worse contracts back to the Canucks.  

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

38 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

If we weren't in on this I hope PA is in on other things, but man, he could've slid into that 3C role perfectly, with room to slide up, and come cheap without long term commitment.  Local kid to boot.

Johansen isn’t a 3C. He doesn’t even kill penalties. 

• Cheers 1