The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Boston trades Taylor Hall and the rights to UFA Nick Foligno to Chicago for the rights to RFA's Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula

Not at all surprising. Hall even after his Hart trophy season still produces at a pro-rated clip of 61 points/82 games. Last year was clearly a drop off in production but he was also behind a rather stacked forward group, he will get lots of PP1 time with the Hawks and I would expect a bounceback season from him. 6M is not too expensive for Chicago and they get a talented player to plug in beside Bedard. 

Oh man, I feel bad for Hall. 

drafted to Edm, they suck, get Mcdavid & Draisaitl and he's shipped off to NJD

carries NJD to playoffs, wins MVP. NJD sucks and trade him to Arizona, who suck even worse.

arz continues to suck, he walks to UFA

Signs a very friendly 1 year 8m deal with Buffalo, he can pump his stats and help them develop.

asked to waive his nmc for boston or vegas, chose boston, signs extension with Boston and Vegas wins the cup.

2 years left on his contract and he is traded to the team that won the draft lottery.

LET TAYLOR WIN, PLEASE!:frantic:

6 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Oh man, I feel bad for Hall. 

drafted to Edm, they suck, get Mcdavid & Draisaitl and he's shipped off to NJD

carries NJD to playoffs, wins MVP. NJD sucks and trade him to Arizona, who suck even worse.

arz continues to suck, he walks to UFA

Signs a very friendly 1 year 8m deal with Buffalo, he can pump his stats and help them develop.

asked to waive his nmc for boston or vegas, chose boston, signs extension with Boston and Vegas wins the cup.

2 years left on his contract and he is traded to the team that won the draft lottery.

LET TAYLOR WIN, PLEASE!:frantic:

Get in line, Hall. Vancouver has been waiting since 1970.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Since Chicago was willing to take Hall for free, does anyone think we can convince them they need Myers too?

Hall has enough upside to him that he can still produce enough points to make up for that 6M in cap hit. That sort of upside Myers does not possess, he is at best a bottom pairing defenseman and a team that has the capability to spend to the cap like Chicago can use that 6M much better than that. I think our best bet is to wait till the bonus is paid off and get a budget team that doesn't plan on spending anywhere close to the cap to take him on. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chicago is literally starting from scratch.  It could take them 5 years before they get a core as good as Vancouver.  They have Bedard and we have Petey.  They still need a Hughes, Demko, Miller, Kuzmenko, Hronek, etc...

If they were smart they would take on every bad contract possible to get young players already in the NHL.  They will be bad next year too so they can use a top 3 pick next year to get another core piece.  Trent Frederic would be the guy to shake out of Boston.  They could take Debrusk and Grzelcyk as cap dumps.

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Chicago had 3 first rounders, 2 seconds and three thirds last year.  They have 11 pics this year 2 firsts, 4 seconds, 2 thirds.

they were starting from scratch.

Plus Korchinski, Rychel, and Soderstrom. Rychel looks to be a pretty surefire player to me. He was roasting us and other nhl teams pretty good at the end of last year,

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Plus Korchinski, Rychel, and Soderstrom. Rychel looks to be a pretty surefire player to me. He was roasting us and other nhl teams pretty good at the end of last year,

Would be very sad to see NJ, LA and Chicago go into rebuilds and pass us while we are still trying to figure out the 10 year retool. 

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

Hall has enough upside to him that he can still produce enough points to make up for that 6M in cap hit. That sort of upside Myers does not possess, he is at best a bottom pairing defenseman and a team that has the capability to spend to the cap like Chicago can use that 6M much better than that. I think our best bet is to wait till the bonus is paid off and get a budget team that doesn't plan on spending anywhere close to the cap to take him on. 

I mean, that last bit is what I would describe Chicago as but it looks like Hall was that move for them. I can also see Myers still having some value as a rental at the deadline at 50% retained, especially if we loop in another team to take another 1.5M of his cap hit.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's your opinion, and your opinion is wrong. 

;)

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ooof what a brutal take. Don’t become a scout. 

You guys are right.  
Garland is awesome.  
That’s why we couldn’t even give him away for free.  Because he is just too awesome, other teams would feel bad stealing him from us.  

If there is anything that is going to get us to the playoffs, it is Garland and his great shots from the corner near the boards.  

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Would be very sad to see NJ, LA and Chicago go into rebuilds and pass us while we are still trying to figure out the 10 year retool. 

2 out of 3 are pulling ahead as we round the last turn. :lol:

It appears we're hellbent on finding out sooner than later if it will work. We'll see what happens soon.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

You guys are right.  
Garland is awesome.  
That’s why we couldn’t even give him away for free.  Because he is just too awesome, other teams would feel bad stealing him from us.  

If there is anything that is going to get us to the playoffs, it is Garland and his great shots from the corner near the boards.  

Doubling down on bad takes doesn’t make you look smarter. ;)

8 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You guys are right.  
Garland is awesome.  

Taylor Hall was just given away for free. No surprise there isn’t a market for him.

I think that is the rule for 99% of the wingers who have term and decent contracts, they have no trade value or negative. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You guys are right.  
Garland is awesome.  

We're in the minority but he doesn't do it for me either. He's a cool parlor trick with his endless wall spinning and low angle, low chance shot selection, who doesn't PK, play outstanding defence, or seemingly mesh with any line. But hey, his 5v5 production and penalties drawn are pretty good so ... humph, maybe that's the definition of a good player. I don't know. It does seem to be about $5 mil more than I want to spend on a small winger right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

We're in the minority but he doesn't do it for me either. He's a cool parlor trick with his endless wall spinning and low angle, low chance shot selection, who doesn't PK, play outstanding defence, or seemingly mesh with any line. But hey, his 5v5 production and penalties drawn are pretty good so ... humph, maybe that's the definition of a good player. I don't know. It does seem to be about $5 mil more than I want to spend on a small winger right now.

He's a great setup man. His shot is not his strength. He also wins a ridiculous amount of board battles, especially given how small he is. 

So calling him a guy that just twirls around and takes bad angle shots is akin to calling a Beauvillier someone that just skates fast and goes nowhere. We could also call Quinn someone that just twirls around and has a muffin of a shot, and we'd be ignoring the rest of his game. 

47 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Doubling down on bad takes doesn’t make you look smarter. ;)

Spending almost 5 mill for a dwarf to play on the 3rd line and not kill penalties. 
THAT is stupid. 
If you support that, I suggest keeping your smug insults to yourself. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He's a great setup man. His shot is not his strength. He also wins a ridiculous amount of board battles, especially given how small he is. 

So calling him a guy that just twirls around and takes bad angle shots is akin to calling a Beauvillier someone that just skates fast and goes nowhere. We could also call Quinn someone that just twirls around and has a muffin of a shot, and we'd be ignoring the rest of his game. 

If Garland had any value he’d be traded already. Yes, he’s an okay player. But his contract is too much for what he brings to a club. Hopefully we can move off of all his contract without adding too much sugar. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He has some good to him obviously, but let’s not act like he doesn’t spent half his ice time twirling in the corner and taking low chance shots. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

He has some good to him obviously, but let’s not act like he doesn’t spent half his ice time twirling in the corner and taking low chance shots. 

Hey it's all good, I was being sarcastic by saying that your opinion is wrong.