The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Alex Newhook to Canadiens for Gianni Fairbrother, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Has anyone ever mentioned to you these charts are kind of just fluff and very unscientific? I just kind of chuckle at them myself.

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They're ok, but not a be all end all. Just basic analytics.

Sometimes CDC won't agree with it, but in this instance they probably do.  He hasn't been able to move up the Colorado depth chart.  This is his chance to prove himself.

There's an expanded chart but that costs money to see.  Sometimes he puts them up:

Could contain: Scoreboard

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They're ok, but not a be all end all. Just basic analytics.

Yeah right. I just notice he is posting them in just about every post regarding player trades or signings. I was just wondering if he is aware they are very limited in their accuracy and scope, or if he thinks they are an official ranking or something.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

newhook still has tons of upside.  could be a point a gamer soon. 

Could be, we'll see. Seems like a heavy price tag for a could be. An undersized one at that. A team that had a hole at 2C traded a "could be point a gamer" center and replaced him with a 30 year old coming off serious leg surgery. That should kind of be a worrying sign about his chances of actually being that point a game guy.

Can teams just stop trading with Detroit and Colorado please. While Yzerman and Sakic were two of my favorites as a kid, I am sick and tired of them coming away gangbusters in every trade. I would love for a Detroit - Colorado trade though and be in room where it happens to see them go toe to toe.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Glad that you are weighing in on this topic. Your knowledge of the Habs has always been pretty reliable. Good to see your measured take, rather than the usual “Wtf is Bergevin still running the show in MTL” that we see in these parts. :)

Hughes has done a great job in Montreal far and it’s been reported for a couple months now that he was looking to make another deal in the same vein as last summers Dach trade.

It was pretty much a forgone conclusion he wasn’t going to get into a bidding war for Dubois so anyone surprised by this move doesn’t follow Montreal very closely. 

He gave up more fur Dach but there were also higher expectations on him. Time will tell how this ends up looking but Hughes is making moves to improve the term with a similar aged core that can mature together 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Funny how someone who's probably never played a lick of professional sports is so willing to call those who have scraps. 

Actually you are wrong I have played two sports professionally for a fair portion of my younger years and it seems pretty obvious to me they are not highly valued as assets in the NHL right now. Rathbone is a guy that maybe never (I doubt) makes it ... he has literally zero value except as a shot in the dark. You would have to be pretty silly as a GM to trade for him and assume he's going to be in your starting line-up come October. He has struggled mightily in his time in the NHL so far. Garland is a tiny winger who doesn't PK and a guy we've been trying to dump for awhile now. His contract is expensive and too long and prohibitive to any team that might want him.

If you honestly believe that would get you #5 overall I think your ability to understand trade value is way off. No insult intended though I just thought this is completely wrong but if you believe it's possible maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I guess we should keep in mind that the 1st rounder sounds better than it is, it's a glorified 2nd round pick given it was Florida's pick. The 2nd rounder is good. But still, this is pretty much two 2nd rounders for Newhook. Not as bad as my initial response would dictate. It's an okay pick up for a guy they replaced for free in Johansen.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Actually you are wrong I have played two sports professionally for a fair portion of my younger years and it seems pretty obvious to me they are not highly valued as assets in the NHL right now. Rathbone is a guy that maybe never (I doubt) makes it ... he has literally zero value except as a shot in the dark. You would have to be pretty silly as a GM to trade for him and assume he's going to be in your starting line-up come October. He has struggled mightily in his time in the NHL so far. Garland is a tiny winger who doesn't PK and a guy we've been trying to dump for awhile now. His contract is expensive and too long and prohibitive to any team that might want him.

If you honestly believe that would get you #5 overall I think your ability to understand trade value is way off. No insult intended though I just thought this is completely wrong but if you believe it's possible maybe I'm wrong.

I stand corrected. What were the sports you played? 

I do think that both will be dealt before the season begins, and without needing to take too much back. Garland has value, although probably as part of a larger package versus a 1-1. Same with Rathbone. I think the Canucks have been mired in mediocrity for so long that players who've dwindled here, have tended to find more success once traded. 

Was not super serious about it, more so commenting on Hughes' penchant for signing smallish players. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I stand corrected. What were the sports you played? 

I do think that both will be dealt before the season begins, and without needing to take too much back. Garland has value, although probably as part of a larger package versus a 1-1. Same with Rathbone. I think the Canucks have been mired in mediocrity for so long that players who've dwindled here, have tended to find more success once traded. 

Was not super serious about it, more so commenting on Hughes' penchant for signing smallish players. 

well then we have a boatload of options for him.  Beau, Garland, Rathbone are all available for close to nothing, then there is every Defenceman that isn't a chaos giraffe.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

People said the same thing about Dach last summer.  Worked out pretty good for Montreal. 

As the resident Montreal guy would you do Rathbone, Garland, and the 11OA for the 5OA?

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

well then we have a boatload of options for him.  Beau, Garland, Rathbone are all available for close to nothing, then there is every Defenceman that isn't a chaos giraffe.

They could take Myers as well, to balance out the height issue. 

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

As the resident Montreal guy would you do Rathbone, Garland, and the 11OA for the 5OA?

Not a chance in hell. Garland is overpaid for what he brings and Montreal has several nhl ready guys who saw action last season thst could be pencilled in to where he would play for a fraction of the cost.  Montreal also has a bunch of far more proven young defencemen in the system with more coming. Rathbone adds no value. So essentially it’s 5th OA for 11 OA. 

Montreal May drop back 2-3 spots max, and if they do the return is rumoured to be far better than that 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Upvote 2