The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ian Cole

I’m doing a bit of a mid-deep-dive on Ian Cole and becoming convinced what a fantastic pick-up this is.

One interesting thing - he and Soucy were the top two +\- a couple years back in Minny.

And by time on ice it looks like maybe they played together?

Anyone have knowledge about that?

Cole said in an interview he’s played almost 50% of his career on the right side.

Not sure if that makes sense on our team, but the flexibility certainly can’t hurt!

2 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

Cole said in an interview he’s played almost 50% of his career on the right side.

Not sure if that makes sense on our team, but the flexibility certainly can’t hurt!

Hughes, Cole

Soucy, Hronek

Irwin/prospect, Myers

...seems to make plenty of sense unless we trade for Pesce or similar.

4 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

I’m doing a bit of a mid-deep-dive on Ian Cole and becoming convinced what a fantastic pick-up this is.

One interesting thing - he and Soucy were the top two +\- a couple years back in Minny.

And by time on ice it looks like maybe they played together?

Anyone have knowledge about that?

If we sign Dumba we could have half the Wild D from the 20-21 season! :lol:

Anyone know how that team did defensively?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Cole

Soucy, Hronek

Irwin/prospect, Myers

...seems to make plenty of sense unless we trade for Pesce or similar.

Whats crazy is we have 6 NHL defensemen on the roster now

When was the last time that happened? When we had Edler + Tanev both still here?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Whats crazy is we have 6 NHL defensemen on the roster now

When was the last time that happened? When we had Edler + Tanev both still here?

I mean we've had NHL level D men...our biggest problem has been how ill fitting they were, how redundant their skill sets were etc. Good players =/= good team.

It's like the people that keep suggesting we add Dumba... good player or not, he simply doesn't represent a skill set/tool box that we need. He'd be another, redundant skill set, small D that we don't have a partner for to get the most out of him, or the players already on the roster. He's an older, broken down version of Hronek, whom we already have.

I get the "Cole/Soucy playing above their ideal ability" comments/concerns, but it's ignoring what the existing, very good players in Hughes/Hronek actually need for complementary partners. And this wasn't likely getting fixed all in one offseason here. Sure ideally we trade for a Pesce or similar, and eventually bump Cole and Soucy down a pair. That'd be a hell of a lot closer to a contending D than what we've been playing with, or even the improvements they've made so far this offseason. But complaining about the improvements is letting perfection be the enemy of good IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I mean we've had NHL level D men...our biggest problem has been how ill fitting they were, how redundant their skill sets were etc. Good players =/= good team.

It's like the people that keep suggesting we add Dumba... good player or not, he simply doesn't represent a skill set/tool box that we need. He'd be another, redundant skill set, small D that we don't have a partner for to get the most out of him, or the players already on the roster. He's an older, broken down version of Hronek, whom we already have.

I get the "Cole/Soucy playing above their ideal ability" comments/concerns, but it's ignoring what the existing, very good players in Hughes/Hronek actually need for complementary partners. And this wasn't likely getting fixed all in one offseason here. Sure ideally we trade for a Pesce or similar, and eventually bump Cole and Soucy down a pair. That'd be a hell of a lot closer to a contending D than what we've been playing with, or even the improvements they've made so far this offseason. But complaining about the improvements is letting perfection be the enemy of good IMO.

Agreed with all of that. 

I also love the contracts- all 3 of them to be honest. Soucy is getting a reasonable contract that will look cheap next year when the cap goes up. Cole and Blueger are both deadline assets that could fetch 2nd/3rd round picks if were not going to make the playoffs.

We actually have some high quality defensemen in the prospect pipeline now too:

Willander - potential Hughes partner in 2-3 years

D-Petey- potential complementary partner to Hronek in 2 years (i say 2 years because he already played significant SHL minutes last year)

Bruztewicz- potential puck mover in 3-4 years

Johansson- potential bottom pair d-man as early as next year

Hirose- potential bottom pair d-man as early as next year

I dont know enough about Mynio to add him to the list, and i think these 5 are a cut above the rest of our D prospects. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Good post all around but I think the big takeaway is where you mention that our needs were probably not all getting fixed in one year. We've addressed some major size concerns, PK concerns, and compatibility issues. Now it's time to see how improved we are, how effective these moves are and what the next steps should be. I'm pretty much happy even if they don't do anything else all summer. I've always been of the stance that our true contention begins once Myers is gone and his money redeployed ... so this year is a good test run for next year where we should be close to icing our best team in probably a decade in 2024/25. Imo we have this year and next offseason to fill that top RD spot beside QH, and to fill the 3C moving forward.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Good post all around but I think the big takeaway is where you mention that our needs were probably not all getting fixed in one year. We've addressed some major size concerns, PK concerns, and compatibility issues. Now it's time to see how improved we are, how effective these moves are and what the next steps should be. I'm pretty much happy even if they don't do anything else all summer. I've always been of the stance that our true contention begins once Myers is gone and his money redeployed ... so this year is a good test run for next year where we should be close to icing our best team in probably a decade in 2024/25. Imo we have this year and next offseason to fill that top RD spot beside QH, and to fill the 3C moving forward.

Yup. By all means if Pesce being available is true, we should certainly be looking hard at it, but no, if we don't address a long term solution for Hughes partner and a better 3C until next year, (maybe even Raty at 3C) it's not the end of the world. No this team isn't probably getting COMPLETELY fixed in this one off season. Hell maybe Pesce even makes it to UFA and we get him here next year, with no asset loss.

And yes, with Myers, Beau, Pearson coming off, we should be able to address some of these things/redeploy that cap more efficiently, and to better fitting pieces.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. By all means if Pesce being available is true, we should certainly be looking hard at it, but no, if we don't address a long term solution for Hughes partner and a better 3C until next year, (maybe even Raty at 3C) it's not the end of the world. No this team isn't probably getting COMPLETELY fixed in this one off season. Hell maybe Pesce even makes it to UFA and we get him here next year, with no asset loss.

And yes, with Myers, Beau, Pearson coming off, we should be able to address some of these things/redeploy that cap more efficiently, and to better fitting pieces.

I think at this point our 2024 first should possibly be on the table for something like that or better. We just need to hope/wait for that winger trade to hopefully happen somehow ... hopefully without giving up anything substantial. What a difference though.

Hughes Pesce

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers/Johansson/UFA/Woo

D.Petey/Willander/Mynio/Brzustewicz in the pipe ... now that's what a defence and a prospect pipeline looks like Mr. Jimmy. Good/capable players on the big club that compliment each other, and good prospects at each position, with a succession plan that doesn't completely neglect one side of the ice. Finally, this is what it feels like to be whole again. :emot-parrot:

• There it is 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I was hoping for a winger trade and a 3rd C brought for this off-season. 

Market hasn’t been favourable and cap restraints hinder our efforts in further additions. 

Overall I give management a C+/B-(pretty much average) in Free Agency as it currently stands. A winger out and 3rd C added would have bumped it up a level. A top 4 D and bottom 6 winger added as well then they would get a high grade. 

They helped address an issue next year but I still see those pre-existing issues there but dampened down. Also two of the key guys are here for a season so long term these issues still need addressing.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I was hoping for a winger trade and a 3rd C brought for this off-season. 

Market hasn’t been favourable and cap restraints hinder our efforts in further additions. 

Overall I give management a C+/B-(pretty much average) in Free Agency as it currently stands. A winger out and 3rd C added would have bumped it up a level. A top 4 D and bottom 6 winger added as well then they would get a high grade. 

They helped address an issue next year but I still see those pre-existing issues there but dampened down. Also two of the key guys are here for a season so long term these issues still need addressing.

Yeah I hope a winger trade is still forthcoming. Would be thrilled if we can use some of that space for Suter, Sundqvist (or a trade), or a Pesce or similar... but again, not EXPECTING them to address this all in one go. Especially with the league-wide cap restraints.

As for Cole/Blueger being one year... I think that's a clear indication they're leaving their options open for more long term solutions there.