The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ian Cole

Can’t complain about signing a UFA like Cole to the same AAV as his last deal, despite him moving to a much high tax city.

Cole is also coming off his career best season in GAR (8.2) and EVD (even strength defensive) GAR (8.9).

For what it’s worth, that kind of GAR impact is valued at $8.8M (per Evolving Hockey).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I’m not expecting any more big deals from us now. Not that these were big in any way but it feels like we have adressed what was needed and 3C will come later here via trade. Blueger was depth in my books, not permanent for the 3rd line.

Underwhelming. So that is status quo with my opinion on Rutherford and Allvin. I'm editing because overall I think yesterdays additions were solid and the one-year with Cole and Blueger are show me contracts and at the very least another year of development for some of our young D. 

Edited by TheCammer
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

I’m not expecting any more big deals from us now. Not that these were big in any way but it feels like we have adressed what was needed and 3C will come later here via trade. Blueger was depth in my books, not permanent for the 3rd line.

Still haven’t addressed a partner for Hughes.

I hope they’re looking at that first. Something involving Garland for Tanev would be a good short term solution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Both Left Side D.

As it stands right now:

Hughes Trade/UFA

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

They both have a history of paying both sides.

That said, with the Orlov signing, CAR's blue line is getting awfully crowded... I wouldn't hate a trade for Pesce...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Cole plays both sides equally well, per Dhaliwal. But ya one can dream that we somehow get Pecse.

If we somehow pull of a Pesce deal, we're a contender. Big call but I think it's true. 

Boeser + Hoglander + Rathbone for Pesce

Hughes - Pesce

Soucy - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Hirose

Top-5 D in the league.

4 solid tiered centers.

Top 5 goalie.

Contender.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we somehow pull of a Pesce deal, we're a contender. Big call but I think it's true. 

Boeser + Hoglander + Rathbone for Pesce

Hughes - Pesce

Soucy - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Hirose

Top-5 D in the league.

4 solid tiered centers.

Top 5 goalie.

Contender.

I would love to get him and would gladly move either type of package, one like you proposed or even one with Lekkerimaki and a 1st plus a winger. RHD like Pecse are seldom available and if he is it's such an obvious fit here that all options should be explored. 

The only young winger off limits for me 26 and under, is Podkolzin. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

For that kind of money and his age, I would have rather signed Luke Schenn back and saved some $$$ at the same time. 

As good as Schenn is, he's getting older and slower (as is Cole too), and I think Cole just has a tiny bit of an edge on Schenn. I don't see Schenn playing 20 minutes a night next year, he's more of an 18 minute guy who mainly plays shutdown minutes and the PK, whereas Cole might have one final year of 20+ minutes left in him. Plus he skates a tiny bit better.

They're pretty similar players but I'd give the edge to Cole.